William Howard Taft Senior High School

Charter | 9-12

Living in Woodland Hills

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $505,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,180.

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

Taft is good school. Academically, it's better if you're in AP or Honors classes. The general ed classes are okay just the students are different; tend to be disrespectful, irritating, and ignorant. Taft is a big school, so there's a lot students. It's culturally diverse. Just hang out with the right crowd and you'll be good!

Posted August 22, 2013

Taft has been fantastic! All three of my children have attended Taft. Two of my children have graduated with honors and now attending college, I still have one at Taft and she is a senior and looking forward to a wonderful year and off to college as well. I believe it depends on the student and family on how well they do at Taft, too many parents blame the school or teachers when their child doesn't do well or don't fit in. All three of my children did well academically and were also very involved in sports and the clubs offered at Taft. I do have to say that cosmetically Taft has a long way to go and I hope by the time my senior graduates the school construction will have ended. Thanks Taft!!!

Posted August 22, 2013

Taft gets better and better every year. I have a junior and a freshman and just in the past 2 years, the school has improved in so many ways. My kids are very different, yet Taft offers enough choices for them both to find their niche. They have met good friends, performed outstandingly on all AP exams, and are involved in meaningful extracurriculars that make them excited to go to school.

Posted July 19, 2013

Pretty safe and you actually learn a lot. It's nothing like what you hear from other people about danger and low education. Teachers follow the standards and help you out. There is a decent amount of security and you feel safe on school grounds.

Posted December 27, 2012

Taft high school...It's reputation is enough to tell you to send your kid anywhere but here. You may have heard rumors--and, in many cases, rumors are usually untrue. However, the ones about Taft are indeed fully true, to my disappointment. In addition to the decapitated physical state of the school, the whole environment of intense, regular, everyday violence is more than enough to want to leave after just a few days enrolled. There are some friends I have made, but I am indeed willing to leave them behind if it means getting out of here. And the curriculum is a joke -- give me a break, Taft. Even your AP courses aren't up to scale with other schools' REGULAR courses. I can only hope to leave this place one day.. I see other kids bullied and tossed around in additional to the daily/weekly school fights between the many students of ethnic backgrounds and again can only hope the many problems of Taft High School are solved in the near future so that another student who is forced into the hopeless district of Los Angeles Unified will not be exposed into William Howard Taft High School.

Posted September 7, 2012

This was a great school to attend and I recommend it to any parent who's looking to send their child/children to a school with a bright future ahead of them. :)

Posted February 27, 2012

I am a current student of this wonderful High School, I love it here, I have all honors level and AP level courses. Teachers actually care for you and don't leave you helpless, unless we are talking about the Science Department. I must say I never in my entire life had the worst teacher teaching me Honors Chemistry. That is pretty much 95% of my peers opinion. Sadly the Administration has not really took notice the problem, but other than that this school is a great experience!

Posted November 10, 2010

I said ten years ago I wouldn't send my child to TAFT, and thank you today TAFT for proving me wrong. What an awesome High School and my daughter has great caring teachers and many great memories of the school so far. The Principal is great and very responsive. Don't listen to the unhappy student below there is always one whiner in the bunch! great job taft.

Posted October 15, 2010

Taft is a great school with a diverse student population. Taft graduates are college bound, well-rounded citizens of character.

Posted October 3, 2010

Though I find it is common to dislike a school (especially as a student/former student), I feel that this was uncommonly bad. I feel as if my writing skills and well-roundedness came from my middle school, and if anything Taft has dumbed me down. The teachers rarely care about your wellbeing in their class, and the ones who do are so unqualified to teach that they would be fired if not for their tenure. I strongly advise AGAINST sending a child to this school.

Posted March 28, 2010

This is an excellent school. When I sent my son here I was a little sketchy about it but in the end I was glad with my descion. If you don't know where to send your child Taft is the way to because the teachers are involved and care

Posted March 24, 2010

This school is very entertaining. It has all the needs. Sports wise its wonderful, teachers and staff are very good with the children. My son and I love the school.

Posted February 24, 2010

I used to think Taft was a great school because of the teachers. What happened? They are rude and aggressive and THEY are always right, never taking into consideration the individual child. Safety - what a joke. When you have heavy equipment and large scale trailers moving around in the parking lot with the children still at school or coming to school - not even looking around for who they may hit - it's horrible. Who looks out for our kids? I'm at a loss! I am actively looking for another school for my child. Home schooling is looking better all the time. Someone wake up!!!!

Posted January 18, 2010

I just started 9th grade here this year. I came from Portola and everyone says 'taft is like a bigger version of Portola.' Since I loved Portola, I came here. Those students could not have been more wrong. At Portola, I would always have 4 or 5 good teachers out of 6. At Taft, I have only 2 good teachers. At Portola, there was some parent involvement. At Taft, there is barely any. At Portola, teachers would review with us before tests. At Taft they don't. At Portola, the counselors would care about the students. At Taft, they yell at you and make you feel unwanted, even though I am an honors student. I have been at this school for 4 months and I am not impressed. The only reason why I would consider staying is because it's freshman year and many people say freshman year is horribly confusing.

Posted August 27, 2009

A school is what you make it. As a parent its my responsibility to be informed about what the school offers, to become familiar with the administrators and counselors, but ultimately to provide information to my child so that he/she has the best high school experience. Taft is not perfect, but its a whole lot better than other schools.

Posted August 27, 2009

Taft High School is a terrible school for children to attend.

Posted July 10, 2009

I am sending my daughter to Taft for 9th grade because my experience with my oldest daughter who went to Taft and graduated out of El Camino. Taft staff/teachers seem to like kids and their jobs. While the school is a little rundown, their staff is not!

Posted May 21, 2009

I found Taft to have the most involved teachers. Teachers who seemed to like their jobs. My eldest daughter went to Taft and El Camino Real. I prefer Taft. El Camino, left me as a parent, completely uniformed about college and the process, including scholarships for a 4.2 gpa, honors and hearing impaired. I won't make the mistake twice. Taft- You Rule!

Posted February 24, 2009

As a parent of a Taft high school student I find that I get no support from the school for my child.I Have tried time after time to get help for my son and none has came yet.I have left work to come and talk to staff members only to be turned away.What happen to no child left be hind I am a concern parent at this point with no help from your school.

Posted September 29, 2008

I was really torn about sending my child here for 9th grade. There were a lot of bad press about the school in the past. Fortunately I did a lot of painstaking research, and decided on Taft. My other choice was Granada Hills Charter, an excellent school. I am so glad we went with Taft. The academics are excellent; the campus environment, as my child puts it, 'has a real community feel'. We love it. And needless to say the football team is a powerhouse....games are great fun.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

358 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

626 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

641 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

641 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

350 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

545 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

540 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students25%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)70%
Parent education - college graduate80%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate89%
Parent education - declined to state56%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students43%

Students with no reported disability21%
English learner17%
Parent education - declined to state25%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

616 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

612 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 1898 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields