Public charter
Woodland Hills, CA
Before care: Yes

Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School 3

Posted November 22, 2014
The teachers range from good to great, with one bad teacher in Kindergarten. The office and janitorial staff are nice and hard working. The kids at the school tend to be nicer, more polite, and more accepting of different kinds of kids than I have seen and heard about at other schools. They also seem to be dressed in an age-appropriate fashion and be interested in age-appropriate things. I feel that they are a good influence on my kids. The community of the parents and the hard working PTSA are the best thing about this school. However, the principal at this school has ruined our experience here. She has no social skills to speak of, is rude and abrasive, is far more over restrictive than district guidelines mandate, and has been caught saying things that are not true to both parents and students. We need the Daily Show to come and roll the footage of what she said, cause she will turn around and say that she did not say that, even though the whole school heard her on the loudspeaker. And the district has done nothing about her despite parent reports.

Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School 3

Posted November 10, 2014
We moved to this school over the summer from another LAUSD affiliated charter so I felt we would be in a great community school. It really could be, our teacher is great, the kids are great kids, the parents and PTSA have been more than welcoming. Community is in the name, but I have never been given a community spirit from administration. Leaving and Litigation is not an agent of positive change, I hope we can work together to turn it back to the vibrant neighborhood school it should be.

Posted October 30, 2014
I enrolled my child at Woodlake Elementary, our neighborhood school in August. I immersed myself in the pre-school starting activities, with PTO, and getting to know other parents at the school. I found a few things a little odd about the school, but most of those were regulations set up by LAUSD, nothing that I could really control. But my concerns quickly mounted.I was very concerned with my daughter's kinder teacher, her inability to get down with the kids and relate to them, or my daughter coming home each day to tell me that she liked school, but that her teacher was always yelling. " I decided to meet with the principal, and after two office visits, leaving "messages" for her (as she sat in her office watching me) and then several phone calls, I received an email stating that "there is no room in other classes to move your daughter." The disregard for listening to my concerns made me realize that she did not have the well being or education of any individual child in mind.I did not think that after moving to this area, we would have to then find a way to borrow money and scrimp and save in order to put her in private school, but that is just what we did.

Posted October 27, 2014
We are horribly dissatisfied with Woodlake as it currently exists. We brought our daughter to a kindergarten class with no leadership, no ability to relate materials to 5-year-olds, no ability to handle even three 'difficult' children. And no ability to keep advanced children stimulated. The school is saddled with a principal who has no ability to work with parents, no ability to teach her agenda to volunteers, no social graces whatsoever. After taking over the school three years ago and identifying three teachers she wished to remove, she has only removed one, and the other two are still wrecking children's education. We moved to this area for the quality schools, and are shocked, saddened and angry at what LAUSD considers satisfactory credentials & policy. No one is forcing us, but we are going back to paying for a private school. And yes, we have discussed this with multiple parents, only one who had a child success story. All others have been poor and sad tales. Even the parent with a success story had two sad stories to tell. Thumbs Down. Go somewhere else.

Posted April 28, 2014
There is a culture of everyone taking care of every kid at this school that I love. I have a daughter in 1st grade and another starting Kindergarten. Could not ask for better teachers. They're wonderful, attentive, responsive, and great at teaching. The PTSA is active, & a group of dedicated parents provide students with a whole lot of fun while raising money for programs to benefit all of the kids at our school and volunteer in the classroom. The parents all care a lot about the school and the kids, even though they sometimes disagree with each other quite loudly! The principal is strict but caring. She is at every school event, agrees to all sorts of fundraisers even on weekends, works hard for our school, & responds to e-mails during her off hours & weekends too. The art program is like the kind you'd have to pay a lot for if you were going to a private art class. The music teacher & the PE coach are awesome. Even the night time custodian is caring and friendly. (Submitted by Sharzad Firooz.)

Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School 2

Posted April 06, 2014
My sister goes to this school and I find the grading system so peculiar. She has been receiving a good about of C's and a few C's but when it comes to her progress report she somehow magically always gets 4s in everything. It's just not right for her to receive low test scores yet get all 4s on her progress report, it's not right. Plus, I am always emailing her teacher about her assignments and tests but I never even get any emails back.

Posted April 02, 2014
I have no problems identifying myself. But may the Union reps who post all the negative comments and their fellow problem-parents do first, please? The vast majority (90%+) of parents is very happy at this school. If you are not: You are very welcome to go back to where you belong to.

Posted March 16, 2014
one thing I forgot - I notice that all these parents that are so happy with the school, no one ever leaves their name. If you're so proud why not have courage to say who you are? There's absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Very interesting in my so humble opinion.

Posted February 21, 2014
My grand kids go to this school. My daughter tells me that the teachers are really good. I am impressed by the quality of the arts. music, and physical education at the school. It's usually boring to sit through school type performances, but not at this school. One of my grand daughters was in the school play along with 40 or more other kids of all grades and sizes and all the kids did great. Also at the holiday performance all the kids did great and were so cute. The kids who had solos were fantastic. Kudos to the music teacher! Then at the carnivals in the Fall and Spring I saw the cheer kids perform and they were great. I don't know how they got so many kids to perform so well and look so happy doing it! Last but not least, the grand kids come home with the most beautiful art that they do at school. Someone is really working on art skills with them and doing a good job. I am very impressed with the school.

Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School 4

Posted February 19, 2014
Woodlake is a great achool. My kids are thriving and safe. I had an issue and the principal solved the problem in a quick and professional manner.

Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School
23231 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA  91367
Last modified Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodlake Elementary Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 94 reviews. Top