Woodland Hills Elementary Charter For Enriched Studies

Charter | K-5

Posted August 3, 2014

Love this school. I thought my son was going to have so much trouble. He's a typical active boy that can't sit still. Turns out, he was lucky to have Ms. Grill who was patient and persistent. This year's group of boys would have driven anyone mad, but they pulled through and my son will always have fond memories of room 2. Thank you acknowledging the individual needs of these boys and superseding all expectations.

Posted July 23, 2014

The last response of this 'teacher' is very typical . Instead of addressing the problems , he/she rather immediately blames parents or the children. It fits the general atmosphere on this school. We live in the 21st century. People travel. Face it, you have some bad teachers and some bad staff. Deal with it. I rest my case. Unless you keep commenting on my comments of course.

Posted July 23, 2014

Terrible school. I notice that my previous comment vanished after i responded to someone. I am not going to repeat the whole thing again. It comes down to that this is a school with an unpleasant and rigid character. My child lost a year to a 'nutcase' teacher.(just using the refined vocabulary of a woodland hill elementary teacher,see 2 comments below ) Good luck with your funding , ratings and monitoring this site for people with a different opinion. But hey,you can always call a parent a nutcase when you do not like their opinion right ?

Posted July 22, 2014

Regarding "Couldn't pull my kid out fast enough" ... is the typical parent who 'moves around alot' and blames the school and the teachers for their students' inability to cope." I've worked there for many, many years and see a parent (or parents) like that coming from a mile away. These teachers at this school couldn't be more caring. They stay after school, meet on their own time, spend lunches discussing what to do for a specific kid, getting upset when a good kid has a nut case parent (who pulls their kid out of school because it's all the school's fault)...I've seen it for almost 2 decades. Special note to you, parent-who-moves-around-alot....you could take some grammar/punctuation lessons yourself. Maybe you ought to stay in one place for awhile. Settle down. Just a thought.

Posted May 21, 2014

Forget the expense of private school! If you are in the district and are able to have your child/children attend WHECES...pinch yourself and count yourself as one of the lucky ones. Hands down one of the most impress elementary schools in the entire state of California! We absolutely have no complaints. Your child will learn so much more then you can ever have imagined. PS : I'm surprised someone would actually say that the art program is "overrated" .. I don't know to many children around the age of 6yo who can look at a great work of art and be able to distinguish it from a Van Gogh or Picasso and I have personally witnessed that here. For kids to work with all mediums ...from acrylics to pastels...I think that is impressive!!! And the work showcased by the students at the art show at open house.....stunning and unbelievable!!! Amazing parent involvement and the teachers are excellent!!!

Posted November 18, 2013

Two things: 1. There is a hostile environment by some of the parents. And I have seen some people hanging around near the school and they are never sent away. In addition to some hostile personalities about, there is also hostile and careless driving. 2. Why does the city target parents picking up their kids with parking violations? The excuse is street sweeping but how long does it take to dismiss the kids? You might be disappointed by the situation at this school.

Posted August 11, 2013

Daughter just ratting kindergarten and I am already impressed with the school. Had a lengthy conversation with the principl before she even informed me she was in fact the principal. So interested in my concerns I was impressed

Posted August 5, 2013

Woodland Hills ES is great for academics - huge focus on testing. The Good Stuff: They offer an after-school care program and the usual variety of after-school enrichment classes. It's a large school (approx. 800), but maintains a smaller community feel. The Parent/Teacher group pays a significant portion of the cost for Teacher Aides and the Art Program. Parent involvement is strong and key to the art and P.E. programs. The Bad Stuff: The enrichment classes are more expensive than at other schools (roughly $100-150 / session). They do NOT participate in the Spelling Bee. They do NOT have essay contests, science fairs, or after-school library time. The art program is highly over-rated. The administration is very rules-oriented (think: 'no cowboys/Indians').

Posted July 25, 2013

A kind, loving environment - my children always felt safe and at home here due to the amazing teachers and parent involvement! Every teacher has gone the extra mile to get to know my children when they have been in their classes. One thing is for sure: these teachers love what they do and we feel truly blessed to have been a part of this school!

Posted May 27, 2013

This school ROCKS! We spent only 5th grade there after a long career at Serrania that turned sour, thanks to a horrible principal & her gestapo style take over when she came along during 3rd & 4th grade. Ms. Brusca is a wonderful principal and not to mention this school is a 10 with an API of 955. Need I say more! I usually give a slight bump down when I look at the API of any school so, in essence, this school still ROCKS, representing a 9. WOO HOO!

Posted February 6, 2013

This is a great school despite all the negative comments. The principal doesn't lay off teachers; the school district does. The complaints about test scores are silly. Anyone who has taken a college level statistics class can tell you that you can't continue to improve scores in all subcategories forever. The ceiling isn't infinite! NCLB is totally flawed. The formula used to produce the API scores isn't perfect and is based on improvement. When you start at the top, there is less room to grow. If you really care about your children and the future of public education, you should write a letter to congress or President Obama reminding him he said he'd get rid of NCLB during his 2008 campaign. He knows it's flawed too! It's sad that a flawed assessment creates a school's reputation. If your child leaves school everyday happy, with a desire to be a life long learner, that's the right school for your child. I was an aide and a teacher at the school from 2001-2010 and the dedication of the staff and parents is what makes the school a wonderful place despite the district's incompetence.

Posted November 28, 2012

My Daughter started kindergarten this year and I am so unbelievably impressed with this school. The families are great, the children are great and the staff are pretty amazing too! I was so nervous about sending my child to a public school and so far I have not one, single complaint. I feel so lucky that we have such a high standard of public education for our Elementary children and do not doubt that my daughter will not excel at this school over and above.

Posted July 14, 2012

I know my experience at WHE has little to do with current quality, but I went to WHE from 3rd grade (1971) to 6th (1974) (it was K-6 in those days). The teachers were all magnificent, caring people, the school was very well run, and the quality of education put me well ahead of kids I was classed with at Parkman Junior High School. Very fond memories of my time there and I am happy to see it is still a very highly rated school.

Posted January 4, 2012

To the last poster: Do not let a few people with sour grapes, prevent you from allowing your children to experience a school that is one of the top elementary schools in the STATE! You can not please everyone and that is what you are seeing in these postings. As a long term employee (over 10 years); rest assured, most parents and students are happy and proud to be members of the WHES family. We have a staff that is second to none and our parents community is wonderful. Administration and support staff (office, custodial and cafeteria) are behind the teachers 110%! Our curriculum is academically rigorous while serving each individual child's need specifically. We have a fabulous PE coach and our PATT (Parents and Teachers Together) group are quite supportive; they have provided our school with most of our aide time (if it were up to the district; we would have very, very little aide time), they also provide our students with an afterschool enrichment program filled with classes that span the interests of our school population (drawing, chess, creative writing, hip hop,cooking...) Please find out for yourself whether this is the school for you and don't let a few naysayers sway you.

Posted November 16, 2011

12. GENUINELY welcome all parents with open door policy excellent academics. 13. As parents we go over and beyond to educate our child and serve our child school. 14. I was an adjunct associate professor for fifteen years at UCLA. 15. We all as parents are professional educators with a strong academic base to analyze a school performance. 16. WHES does not cut the mustard not for all their student population. 17. We are outstanding community advocates and love serving our community and child school. 18. My husband and I have numerous awards from the community and my child s previous schools. 19. Our family comes from a high academic upscale neighborhood within a LAUSD district. .

Posted August 30, 2011

Slowly the long-lasting work of Principal Feig is fading away. The 2006 kindergarten class graduates this coming year, and as this group of 5th graders plan to culminate, so will the end the aggressive student selection that Principal Feig initiated for many years that helped to propel WHES test grades so high. In 2007, she chose a more random selection process and then was succeeded by Principal Bluestein who modified students on permits and student selection in his 3 years at our school. Couple the student selection process with shortened school days two years in a row, and the naturally test scores will go down. If you look carefully 4th grade over all went up and that is the class that entered WHES in 2006. More importantly is the disillusion of the teachers chronically being threatened with layoffs and reductions in benefits and pay. We had angry, sad and depressed teachers last year. Not to mention that one or more teachers suffered with personal illness, especially in second grade.

Posted August 30, 2011

The last poster is correct. The elite selection of kindergardeners did much to makes us a top school and we are not tops anymore... not so elite... not so special... but still good.

Posted August 29, 2011

We love the new principal and teachers; we don't love a drop in test scores. What is going on? Lets fund more T.A.s and less office personnel. We can't keep going down hill.

Posted August 29, 2011

I love WHES and love our new principal! I think everyone at the school couldn't be happier with her. She's friendly, warm, but also cares about the kids and the school. As far as the comment on cleanliness? I've never seen a problem. I've been a room mom for the three years I've been there, so not sure what that parent is talking about. Must have been a one-time thing. And yes, I did hear that Ricardo, the custodian has lost an assistant and is doing the work of many. But even still, I haven't noticed any problems. My son loves the school and is getting a better elementary education than I ever could have hoped for.

Posted August 16, 2011

We are really wondering how much of the work at the school is being done on so little budget. I love working there, but full transparency in all the budgets is due really.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 553 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents21940%
Students31593%
Employees1931%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

22201 San Miguel Street