Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 23, 2016
My child has enjoyed Kindergarten from the first day. He has had a tremendous year and his growth has been amazing. His teacher has fostered a warm, fun, yet disciplined environment. She is excellent at her job and her love of teaching is evident.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 04, 2016
Not a believer in homework for elementary kids (except group projects and the like). So, if you believe in homework or lots of it, you are in the right place.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 04, 2016
I feel like they do an amazing job at developing compassion, caring and empathy... almost crazy as it's sad to think the kids will leave and have to deal with the "real world"!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 04, 2016
Student council plays a big role in developing honesty and integrity among students. Fairness is a hard one... as that can be subjected to the elements of hearsay.

Woodland Hills Elementary Charter For Enriched Studies 4

Posted May 04, 2016
I appreciate all the school tries to accomplish. No school, whether private or public, will ever achieve all the goals of the different families coming together. I really think feedback is heard and the principal is great. Yes, I've had rough moments (I have a boy) but the environment is nurturing. I hate testing, but that is public school for you!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
Mr. Andrew Chin teaches second grade at WHES. He was brought in after one month of school already had gotten underway, replacing another teacher. The class was full of boys... like... 17 boys and about 5 girls. As we all know, the difference between boys and girls at this age is about as opposite as you can get! Mr. Chin successfully made learning fun for the entire class, and as a volunteer in the class, I saw such a behavior transformation amongst all the boys. My son, on the younger side, took to Mr. Chin SO much, that he now bounces out of bed in the morning, gets ready with little effort, and demands we leave early! He loves school and says he "loves learning with Mr. Chin." He even comes home from school and asks me to play school with him. Mr. Chin does not know this, but I get to see how he teaches through the interpretation of a child. Pretty awesome! Thanks, Mr. Chin.

Woodland Hills Elementary Charter For Enriched Studies 5

Posted March 10, 2016
My son started Kindergarten this year and he couldn't be happier. The teachers, admin, students and parents are all wonderful. There is a real sense of community with this school. My son has learned so much and really likes his teachers and everyone at the school. The older kids all seem very respectful of the adults and the younger kids. I do agree with others on drop off being ridiculous. Twice (within 2 weeks) now I have witnessed a kid almost being run over when running across the crosswalk in the morning. Most of the younger kids are too short to see- please have an adult help your child cross the street especially when everyone is in a hurry to get to work!

Posted February 11, 2016
I will agree with many of the parents here about the academics. The teachers here are quick to recognize an advanced student and if there are any dips in the grades, will immediately bring it to the attention of the parents. Pick up here since the bomb scare, has become even worse than it was. You now have to enter to the back side where the residents accesses to their homes have completely been compromised. I just witnessed a parent, yelling at other parents (including profanity) and further harassing another WHECES parent by photographing their car. Pick up is bad enough and this man who was chit chatting with two other women, at the gate, decided to walk across to yell at the parents in their cars. I can't believe, as a parent of a child at WHECES, I just witnessed this behavior and I feel terrible for the parent who was picking up. Add all this to the other two cars this man yelled at, 2 other parents got out to yell at this parent picking up who had a bit of her car (back right fender) in the cross walk. I sat in my car across the street, embarrassed for the parents yelling at another WHECES parent being belittled in front of our children. This is NOT what we are teaching our children in this school and like the sign in the front of the school says "Your children are watching you". Very sad to see that the parents of this school treating other WHECES parents this way. We are all trying to get oriented with new pick up routine and yelling is not helping.

Posted November 03, 2015
I'd have to agree with the previous reviewer who gave a great assessment of the school. We transferred here this year. Yes, there is an overkill of rules. But it's nice to see so much school spirit. Academically, I feel my child is in capable hands here; I would agree that the homework level is heavy--but, it matches the homework level from our previous school from a different district, so it just seems to be the way things are going in general with education. But what has really thrown me--and my child--off is how unreceptive the children have been in including "the new kid." I'd describe the kids as "polite," but strangely uncurious, and in sealed-tight social circles. My child can sit by them, but they will ignore. The only 2 children my child has felt welcomed by are...2 other new kids! Now, it's only been 3 months, so we'll have to see how things go. But this is how our year has started.

Posted August 28, 2015
Here's the pros and cons of WHECS. It has a reputation for high performance. As a parent of 2 children in WHECS, I personally wanted my children to be pushed to a degree. However, if your children are younger, or mentally younger, their love of school & learning will be affected if they're pushed too hard. Expect to be pushed. Depending on your child's grade level, teacher, especially, if their SAS, they'll be expected to have a great deal of homework & stress (for U & them)! Students are expected to be young adults already. Children need more fun time & time to get out their built up energy. Don't expect your child to get those things here. More parents complain about that than any other area, with too much home work coming in at second place, then drop off/pick up. The Principal pushes our teachers very hard to perform & is constantly in the class observing & micro managing. That too can be extremely stressful which then affects the students. Some parents come to this school with high expectations & find that WHECS is not what they'd hoped for. It's not a bad school by any means. Most of the teachers really do care & work hard for your children. The staff in the front office ARE NOT friendly nor very helpful. As long as you know that & expect that, then you won't be surprised. WHECS does have a strong parent evolvement. For the most part, the PATT is a very positive force. However, you'll find it's always the same parents giving & giving & giving with "little to no" appreciation from those who do nothing. PATT's slogan is if "everyone gave a little, then no one would have to give a lot." Powerful words to live by, but the majority of the parents, unfortunately DO NOT participate.. The negative side of the PATT is many cliques, constantly asking for $, & their fundraiser's are endless. Wish the $ was going toward more important areas. WHECS has many rules & many new ones being added. PLEASE be advised, most are reasonable & for the students safety, then there's the ones that simply make no sense. For pick up/drop off: as long as you know the in's and out's - this is one of the easier school's to maneuver. Too many "ME type" parents expect the world to revolve around them & make the process harder. I personally feel there's too many lottery students let in - which means larger class sizes, less personal attention! Not good!

22201 San Miguel Street, Woodland Hills, CA  91364-3039
Last modified Woodland Hills Elementary Charter For Enriched Studies is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.