Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I was very nervous about sending my kids to this school at first. We were stationed at Fort Irwin, so this was pretty much the only option. Having friends who were employed at a neighboring school, I knew the Barstow area was not the best. However, I was pleasantly surprised. My kids had a good education, with great teachers, and the school is pretty safe. The majority of the students there are military families and the school is gated so it is difficult for outsiders to enter the campus.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Only in some cases teachers actually help and teach. But other then that most of them are not being a great help to their students.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework is perfectly fine and its not that much and still enough. There is nothing to change on that in my opinion.

Develops character: Neutral

In some ways yes but in others no. Teachers overreact or fail at certain points and blame it on the students. I personally hate this and i want to change that as soon as possible.

There is no little trace of order and system. Discipline is also missing. Due to the fact that teachers don't care about their students accept for a few.

I am a parent and my child has attended SVHS for the past 2 yrs she will graduate this coming year. I heard very negative things about this school before arriving at Fort Irwin but I must admit after allowing my child to give the school a chance I have been pleased. The staff are great the principle responds to calls and cares about each child. This is a small school so I have been more than pleased. They offer plenty of honor classes which my daughter takes. Discipline and structure start at home! I have another child coming from The middle school on post at fort Irwin also great school good parent involvement these schools are what the patents and children make them!

I am a former student of Silver Valley High School I graduated this year with honors and was accepted into UCR. As a freshmen among my class more than 50% accepted into college both in and out and state. Our Valedictorian was accepted to Berkeley. And while I had my ups and and downs like all high school students I have always considered myself lucky to not have gone to the closer Barstow High School. In the end I think students in high school need to take responsibility for their own education.

Re:To the parent who posted January 9, 2010: The teachers do not go out of the way to help students. The teachers are rude, and very few will help you out if you miss a day. My son was an A student when he came here, then he came here. Several teachers say it's not their responsability to help the student make up work they missed, when we very well know that's exactly their responsability. The school here is also academically behind all other schools. My son has had 3 friends who were seniors who all moved, and when they moved, they had to go back a greade because they didnt have all the credits they needed for those other schools. The only 2 poeple that we have anything good to say about at that school is the counceler, Mrs. Everly and the history teacher Mr. Tannis. Otherwise the staff is rude and the principle does nothing at that school, not even when threats are made, and the lady at the front desk, Mrs. Rachel is very rude to students and parents. If you come to live on Fort Irwin, your best choice would to have your kid do the homeschooling offered oin post where they can get a decent education.

This is by far the worst school my child has ever attended. We are a military family and are used to schools that are not that great. This school is very anti-military. The teachers tell the kids they don't like the military and are just there to get a paycheck. There is no leadership from the principle either. He is just there, he does not return phone calls or emails. My daughter only went here for 1 year. We then put her into the Mojave River Academy on post. This is a free charter school. It was wonderful and my daughter graduated 1 year early. She also took college courses while attending this school. She is now in college in tx.

Dear Readers, Silver Valley High School has many flaws and many achievements. Initially, an education is only given to those who strive for it. Students who sit in classrooms lackadasically or fall asleep during class are opted as "failures" and are not receiving the focus they need to bloom. If a class is progressing, the progression will have to stop due to numerous classroom disruptions or students claiming they dont understand the topic. Another thing is that sports are the only after- school club that is currently available other than tutoring/ mathletes. The prinicipal and vice- principal are excellent, and both take care of behavioral/ moral issues alike. Yet, as a student, I cannot honestly tell if the counseling department is the exact same. During my visits, I have been greeted warmly and have been helped through, but other students tell me otherwise. Only 2 AP classes, total 8 students.

Last modified Silver Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.