Public charter
Arvada, CO

Posted March 23, 2015
The multi-age classrooms are the best part of the school. K-1, 2-3, 4-5 are taught together. This promotes a more natural learning environment and kids are viewed as unique individuals. The teachers focus on teaching each child according to his or her own strengths, unlike in same-grade classrooms that often expect all children to be at the same place at the same time with regard to ability. Also, kids are able to spend longer periods of time with the same teacher, allowing teachers to develop a deeper understanding of the child s strengths and needs. Also, older children in the class have the opportunity to serve as mentors and to take leadership roles. The new administration has been a positive change, too!

Posted February 14, 2015
I cannot say enough about this school. We came here after a bad experience at our local school. They work hard to teach to each child's ability. My gifted child is differentiated as much as possible. He is challenged and happy. Being able to volunteer and be a part of the school has been wonderful. My children have opportunities to go on great field trips, participate in art, and have access to PE. The administration is available to parents and are extremely helpful. If you are an active/involved parent you will love this school.

Excel Academy Charter School 2

Posted January 30, 2015
Pros: under new administration, nice building, good whole school communication Cons: paired grades, majority of student output is worksheets, preassessments aren't used throughout year to regroup students according to their needs, volunteers w/o background checks, technology used almost daily to show videos-our kids watched more tv at school, professional development for educators is poor, standardized test driven, untrained volunteers teaching students daily-our student rarely worked directly with a teacher, little to no differentiation or support for gifted students as well as students needing extra support.

Excel Academy Charter School 1

Posted May 06, 2014
Excel Academy: If possible, I would give 0 stars. THis is probably the worst school my child has ever gone to. She is a smart girl who knows her stuff, but when I email the teacher asking why she got failing marks on a particular subject, either I get no reply or she emails me back. "Your child is simply not valuable enough for me to afford wasting time on developing her learning abilities. If she can't figure it out the first time, it's simply not my problem." I am outraged, disgusted, mortified, and gaping open mouthed at the sheer nerve of my child's former teacher, as I took her to a different school once I was well aware of these occurring problems. Also, a darling girl, who happens to be my child's best friend, is failing in her studies in the same class. I was doing pard of my 80 hour/yr. volunteer work at Excel and i saw the friend of my daughter go into the hall with the teacher, who instructed for me to keep the hooligans tame while she went and studied. The girl has AWFUL understanding of that day's particular subject, and the teacher said "Correct" to everything! Special treatment, bullying, negligence, and more come with this school. Highly disapprove. 0 STARS

Posted April 24, 2014
All of my children went to Excel. I am very happy with their education and I have found that the teachers really care about the students. It seems like several of the negative reviews were directed at the old principal who has since left. If I could do it all over I'd still send my children there.

Excel Academy Charter School 1

Posted August 04, 2013
My children have attended Excel Academy since 2008. I will have to say that with a few exceptions the teachers have been wonderful. The learning experience has been great and I feel that both of my children have received an excellent education. There was a time when I would have highly recommended this school to anyone. Sadly that is no longer the case. The Middle School curriculum is extremely limited at best. The administration is dictatorial and non responsive. There are serious bullying problems at the school that are for the most part ignored by the administration. Their main concern is to protect the reputation of the school, not the students attending Excel. The parents are not kept in the dark regarding the problems that occur at the school. Many of the teachers have children that attend Excel Academy. The teacher's children are given special treatment and their behavior is not a good example for the other students attending the school. My children have become very aware of the role that politics plays in our society thanks to Excel Academy.

Posted June 06, 2013
We just finished our last year at Excel and I wonder if our next steps will ever measure up to what we have had and experienced over the six years we have been at Excel..... Great teachers, great administration and very nice facility. We will miss "our" school very much. Thank you for being great for my family.

Posted June 02, 2013
What a special school for my kids! The multi-age format is great, the teachers are wonderful, the Principal has been very helpful to our family as we have worked hard to bring one of our children up to grade level. I have been very impressed with the overall administration of the school and found a lot to brag about when it relates to super extended activities for learning. A very friendly place. Thanks to all for your hard work!

Posted May 31, 2013
This is a wonderful school for my children. The educational plan is well thought out. The Administration of the school is caring and wise. Policies are strong and directive which I like very much. My kids love it here and so do I.

Excel Academy Charter School 2

Posted May 15, 2013
I couldn't agree more with the two comments below mine. The first two years my son and I were blessed with an amazing teach, who actually communicated with me almost daily. This year has been horrific. I found out on the SECOND set of conferences that my son wasn't doing well on turning in his work. Which in no means is the teachers fault.... But we all came up with a game plan to communicate more. I have heard from her maybe 3 times. Emails, notes etc. go un-answered for days, some even over a week. She even said in the conferences "I let him fail to see where the problems were." Which I could even halfway understand if this was at the beginning of the year, NOT April! When homework is missing, he is made to stand at the front of the class. To me this is almost a form of bullying. She is very intimidating towards him, even in front of me, and i am not against disciplining. When taken up with the assistant principal, she is rude and insulting. Once you bring something up to her, your children are almost branded. We have had this happen with both my son and daughter. Good luck on even trying to talk to the main principle. We are in the process of switching school for both kids

Excel Academy Charter School
11500 West 84th Ave, Arvada, CO  80005
Last modified Excel Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Excel Academy Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top