Public charter
Arvada, CO

Excel Academy Charter School 1

Posted May 06, 2014
Excel Academy: If possible, I would give 0 stars. THis is probably the worst school my child has ever gone to. She is a smart girl who knows her stuff, but when I email the teacher asking why she got failing marks on a particular subject, either I get no reply or she emails me back. "Your child is simply not valuable enough for me to afford wasting time on developing her learning abilities. If she can't figure it out the first time, it's simply not my problem." I am outraged, disgusted, mortified, and gaping open mouthed at the sheer nerve of my child's former teacher, as I took her to a different school once I was well aware of these occurring problems. Also, a darling girl, who happens to be my child's best friend, is failing in her studies in the same class. I was doing pard of my 80 hour/yr. volunteer work at Excel and i saw the friend of my daughter go into the hall with the teacher, who instructed for me to keep the hooligans tame while she went and studied. The girl has AWFUL understanding of that day's particular subject, and the teacher said "Correct" to everything! Special treatment, bullying, negligence, and more come with this school. Highly disapprove. 0 STARS

Posted April 24, 2014
All of my children went to Excel. I am very happy with their education and I have found that the teachers really care about the students. It seems like several of the negative reviews were directed at the old principal who has since left. If I could do it all over I'd still send my children there.

Excel Academy Charter School 1

Posted August 04, 2013
My children have attended Excel Academy since 2008. I will have to say that with a few exceptions the teachers have been wonderful. The learning experience has been great and I feel that both of my children have received an excellent education. There was a time when I would have highly recommended this school to anyone. Sadly that is no longer the case. The Middle School curriculum is extremely limited at best. The administration is dictatorial and non responsive. There are serious bullying problems at the school that are for the most part ignored by the administration. Their main concern is to protect the reputation of the school, not the students attending Excel. The parents are not kept in the dark regarding the problems that occur at the school. Many of the teachers have children that attend Excel Academy. The teacher's children are given special treatment and their behavior is not a good example for the other students attending the school. My children have become very aware of the role that politics plays in our society thanks to Excel Academy.

Posted June 06, 2013
We just finished our last year at Excel and I wonder if our next steps will ever measure up to what we have had and experienced over the six years we have been at Excel..... Great teachers, great administration and very nice facility. We will miss "our" school very much. Thank you for being great for my family.

Posted June 02, 2013
What a special school for my kids! The multi-age format is great, the teachers are wonderful, the Principal has been very helpful to our family as we have worked hard to bring one of our children up to grade level. I have been very impressed with the overall administration of the school and found a lot to brag about when it relates to super extended activities for learning. A very friendly place. Thanks to all for your hard work!

Posted May 31, 2013
This is a wonderful school for my children. The educational plan is well thought out. The Administration of the school is caring and wise. Policies are strong and directive which I like very much. My kids love it here and so do I.

Excel Academy Charter School 3

Posted May 20, 2013
Excel may have once been a great school, but leadership seems to be riding on the coattails of that past reputation. What happened to a principal being visible/approachable? She has never responded to our communications. The director s portion of the school newsletters often chastises parents and she hasn't reached out to build a positive relationship. Some staff members have been unfriendly and ill-mannered. What happened to valuing the clientele? With the exception of an outstanding front desk staff and a few staff members, good manners can't be found here. The teachers have so many duties and are stretched so thin, it is no wonder there is negativism. How can a school attract/keep seasoned, talented teachers when educators are pushed to do so much above the call of duty? Bullying is an on-going problem. Coverage in the lunchroom and on the playground is minimal at best. The school requires 80 volunteer hours, but there are some teachers who aren't conducive to utilizing help within the classroom. The curriculum director is so busy pushing teachers to get students to the next level, based on research , solid findings of developmental stages are often ignored. Run before walking.

Excel Academy Charter School 2

Posted May 15, 2013
I couldn't agree more with the two comments below mine. The first two years my son and I were blessed with an amazing teach, who actually communicated with me almost daily. This year has been horrific. I found out on the SECOND set of conferences that my son wasn't doing well on turning in his work. Which in no means is the teachers fault.... But we all came up with a game plan to communicate more. I have heard from her maybe 3 times. Emails, notes etc. go un-answered for days, some even over a week. She even said in the conferences "I let him fail to see where the problems were." Which I could even halfway understand if this was at the beginning of the year, NOT April! When homework is missing, he is made to stand at the front of the class. To me this is almost a form of bullying. She is very intimidating towards him, even in front of me, and i am not against disciplining. When taken up with the assistant principal, she is rude and insulting. Once you bring something up to her, your children are almost branded. We have had this happen with both my son and daughter. Good luck on even trying to talk to the main principle. We are in the process of switching school for both kids

Excel Academy Charter School 2

Posted February 27, 2013
We are very disappointed w/ Excel. * I am only referring to our experience, which obviously doesn't involve the majority of the staff.* Be prepared to fill a "teacher" role. Parents must volunteer 80 hrs/year - marking, reading w/ students, sorting/distributing assignments etc.- yet teachers are too busy to fulfil normal teaching duties. Why? The classroom is cluttered & disorganized - which may explain why the teacher is the same. The grading & reporting method is a joke. The communication between teachers & parents is automated through TeacherEase - which might work (to a degree) if everyone used it properly & regularly! What happened to calling parents or at the very least, sending a personal email? No consistency in reporting student incidents or consequences. Nothing seems to be dealt with at a school level w/ consistency. Our children are not problematic & what I would describe as above average in their marks. I have been involved w/ my children in school for over 15 years & have never come across such a mess. I cannot say enough about how frustrating this school is & there is not enough space here to adequately express our disappointment. Just be forewarned.

Excel Academy Charter School 3

Posted November 30, 2012
Edu: 5 Teachers: 3 Staff: 4 Admin: 1 Supportive: 1 The education here is stellar, your child will walk out the doors with a wealth of knowledge. HOWEVER, teaching and communication with parents is inconsistent. The front desk staff is very polite and helpful. If they do not have answers, they will find them. HOWEVER, the administration of this school is a dictatorship, with the principal making decisions where it is absolutely NOT her place to do so. This school is primarily wealthy, to such an extent that students have been known to tell others "you don't fit in because you're poor". Free and reduced lunch is provided (by Jefferson County) Monday through Thursday, but Exel only provides pizza on Friday as a "fundraiser" that students are required to pay for, although they have more than enough left over to feed the free and reduced students. Further, from 5th grade on there are expensive class trips, up to $1400 with few fundraising opportunites for those who need them. This school disgusts me with their treatment of those who have not been as blessed as the majority of their population, but they do provide a great education.

Excel Academy Charter School
11500 West 84th Ave, Arvada, CO  80005
Last modified Excel Academy Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Excel Academy Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top