Lincoln Charter Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 548 students

We are best known for rigorous academics.

Posted August 9, 2014

I'm sad to read the 1 star comments. I'm new to CO and LOVE this school! Two of my 4 kids attend here (no space 4 older 1's yet). I loved the PM K teacher! Great communication, quick at responding to emails, very loving towards the kids. My daughter hated missing school when she was sick and talked about getting her missed school work as soon as possible. She would tell me the funny things her teacher would say and do throughout the afternoon of teaching. I am thrilled that she is practically reading and then sounding out bigger words (5 letters or more)! They had fun field trips both in class & outside of school. The holidays, it was fantastic to see the parent involvement and the numbers that attended!! My son was in 2nd gr. this past year and I loved his teacher and the communication she gave both by email, phone and after school during pick-up. She worked well with him and I could tell she was eager to help him learn and adjust to his learning styles as he has asperger's. I'm especially impressed with the principal because going through the drive through/pick-up line she seems to know each family by name! If she doesn't know you by name you can tell she is trying!

Posted July 19, 2014

We love Lincoln Academy. Our oldest transferred in 3rd grade - it was a very difficult year! He had abysmal skills from the neighborhood school and learning responsibility for things like turning in homework and getting correct answers took some effort. While he hated the neighborhood school and never felt he fit in, he has enjoyed making friends and building relationships at Lincoln. Our other two children started at Lincoln in Pre-K and Kindergarten. They love it! We have been impressed by the concern the teachers show and how well they know their students. We've had 8 teachers total, plus specials, and each one has sent out weekly emails updating parents on what the kids are learning & what is going on in the classroom. They have each responded to emails I have sent asking questions or making requests - usually responding within 24 hours. I wish I could say the same about my experience with teachers in the neighborhood schools. Lincoln is not a perfect fit for everyone, but we feel between Core Knowledge, dedicated teachers and the parent involvement, our children our getting a much better education than what was offered at the neighborhood Jeffco school.

Posted March 2, 2014

So thankful for this amazing school! Exceptional teachers, high expectations, amazing leadership! My children are having a very positive experience at Lincoln.

Posted February 12, 2014

Lincoln Academy has been nothing but a positive experience for my kids and our whole family. The staff knows the kids and the families and there is a strong community feel! The Core Knowledge Curriculum is fantastic! I wish I had learned all the things that my children have been exposed to from the earliest ages. I really appreciate the high expectations that the school has, not only in academic areas but also for behavior. I would definitely say this is a school to give strong consideration to if you want a structured, back-to-basics school!

Posted February 11, 2014

Do not take your child to this school. Teachers/Staff/Board of Directors do not communicate, return emails or calls. They don't deal with bullying. Waste of money! My son hates going to school. They don't use Love and Logic, even though they claim they did. They don't! If you want a robot kid that is not treated like a human being then by all means this is the school for you, but if you want more for your child and want them to shine as an individual, this school will not support that. I will be changing schools for the sake of my sons sanity!

Posted January 31, 2014

I am a PROUD Lincoln Academy parent. I can't imagine a better school for my children. My oldest started in Kindergarten & my younger child in Lincoln's PreK. Their teachers have been nothing but AMAZING. Teachers at Lincoln truly know their students & what each child needs to fulfill their potential. I was hesitant about the Whole Class Learning format, but quickly found that within that format teachers push or support students as needed. My kids LOVE the Core Knowledge curriculum & constantly share all they have learned in conversation & in trips to museums and other places. Reading the last 2 entries make me so very sad. The staff is wonderful about communication - updated webpages & the office staff sends out a weekly memo. Teachers always respond to my emails in a timely manner. New staff was added as the school expanded this year, but there is NOT a high turnover rate. Lincoln has a very steady staff of experienced teachers. The 1 time in NINE years that my oldest had a 1st year teacher, I was wowed by her professionalism & teaching ability. My oldest is now preparing for high school & I know he is prepared academically, socially, & emotionally for the transition.

Posted January 17, 2014

Used to be much better. If you read some of the other comments I believe the problems are from their tendency to higher younger, less experienced teachers. However, this is a problem for all charter schools. They can't pay their teachers as much as Jeffco can and Jeffco will only give an incoming teacher 5 years of experience credit on their pay schedule. That means the more experienced teachers are earning FAR LESS working at a charter school. After about 10 years of teaching experience it is a $10,000 hit. At 20 years it could be $25,000. It is hard for Lincoln to find dedicated and experienced teachers who will work for far less pay. That explains the high turnover and most of the new teachers don't really know how to teach that well, let alone Core Knowledge. By the time they do, the leave for regular public schools leaving the school without an experienced teacher so they hire another twit who just graduated and needs ANY teaching job on their way to teaching in regular public schools. If you have a choice, try to get one of the older, more experienced teachers. If any are left.

Posted October 31, 2013

Poor school. They only care about how much money they can get and what you can do for them! They do not care about parent concerns, never answer questions. It's a waste of money to take your child here! My son is in kindergarten and hates going to school. They do not use love and logic, which is false advertising!!! The put on a good show, but do not follow it up! No communication! No positive reinforcement! Horrible school! They are trying to make robot soldiers here. Kids are not allowed to be individuals! Do not take your child here!

Posted August 7, 2013

We will have 2 kids this year at Lincoln. We have been nothing but pleased. Having grown up with both parents as teachers (and around teachers and administrators constantly) I recognize how this school is different than most schools. The teachers and staff are very involved with the school. In fact most of the teachers and staff kids go to (or have) graduated from Lincoln. We had a school work day and to see the principals, teachers and staff along side the parents weeding flower gardens, painting, and cleaning the kitchen shows the level of commitment by the staff. One teacher has been coming t the school every other day for 2 hours (during her summer vacation) to water grass and flowers. All unpaid. With this commitment I can see why my kids are out performing their peers in academics. It is quite obvious this school exceeds anything normal and standard.

Posted August 6, 2013

What first drew me to Lincoln Academy was the orderly classrooms. Students are not allowed to disturb the learning of other students. The teachers create a stimulating learning environment - they are excited, creative, and use a variety of ways of teaching in order to address the different learning styles of students - they make learning fun! The Core Knowledge Curriculum is rich and my children have been very well prepared for high school after leaving Lincoln Academy. The staff knows my children and family by name. As a public charter school, Lincoln Academy provides parents the opportunity to have a say in our children s education and how our school spends its money. The ability to be involved in the running of our school, which gives so much to our children and the community, is invaluable.

Posted August 6, 2013

As a parent of two children attending Lincoln (and one more on the way), I have to say I am very pleased with the quality of education this school offers. The environment is caring and supportive of my children's needs. The school also provides many opportunities for parents to get involved in their child's education. I only wish more parents would take advantage of the fine community Lincoln is trying to grow. I feel very fortunate to have my children here and look forward to helping make the school community the best it can be.

Posted August 3, 2013

We are such a fan of this school. When my kids came to Lincoln, we were new to town and nervous about a new school for the kids (three kiddos - currently 3rd grade, 1st grade, and PreK). We wanted someplace that would have high standards, warm, caring teachers and a safe environment to grow and explore. We were greeted by name by every staff member we met and treated like old friends. The curriculum Lincoln uses, from Core Knowledge to Open Court and Wilson for reading are some of the most respected and challenging - I have seen my kids blossom and thrive - and met with extra help when needed. This year Lincoln has moved to a beautiful new campus of 15 acres - with lots of green space and trees. To be fair, the equipment is a bit older and will need replacing soon. The school offers and promises to keep all specials, from library to music, tech and art! We love our school and I am so thankful my kids will learn and grow here. The majority of the staff and teachers are stellar!

Posted August 2, 2013

As both a parent and an employee, I couldn't love Lincoln Academy more! In its new location, Lincoln will continue to offer its academically rigorous program to even more students. The teachers are talented, caring and love what they do. One of the things I love most is that when people (either staff or families) come to Lincoln, they stay for a very long time.

Posted August 2, 2013

My children have been at Lincoln Academy for 10 years. We have been very pleased over the years with the faculty and staff, but most of all we have been so impressed with the Core Knowledge Curriculum. I continue to save their tests that show their learning in Social Studies, Geography, and Science. Since the curriculum builds upon previous learning, they don't "learn-it-and-forget-it". Schools everywhere have problems with bullying, cliques, bad behavior and Lincoln is not immune to these. But I believe they strive every day to provide the best education to build great people, not great test takers. That is rare in today's world. I would highly recommend this school to families who want (and have the time to actively support) an academically challenging education for their K-8th grade students.

Posted May 3, 2013

My son attended the Pre-K program and is now finishing his kindergarten year at Lincoln. He is so excited about the subjects he is learning from the details of each continent to the engaging science units. He loves to read and especially loves his teacher. Lincoln has provided a great foundation for his learning career!

Posted May 15, 2012

Our oldest child has attended this school long before it was actually a "school". He is now in 11th grade - I have two others here one ready to graduate out to H.S. To say the least, this school met our expectations up until about 3 years ago. Now, it just seems that what is best for the teachers and staff is what is best for the students. The parents do not matter anymore. Try talking to the principal, the office staff, the teachers?? Forget it! All they want to do is blame the problem on someone else. What does that teach our children? I will tell you that the core knowledge is the BEST approach to teaching, but what Lincoln does is just "certify" most of the parents who have volunteered for their child for a long time, and **POOF** make them a "teacher". This I don't find right...but just try to get someone to explain to you. I will be moving my children out of this school at the end of this year. Thanks for a LASTING memory....I certainly won't forget this school!

Posted May 7, 2012

My opinion has changed dramatically about Lincoln. I have come home every day from Lincoln Academy in tears. I think the main problem here is that everyone thinks it's such a great school that has such great academics and all that they don't care or see how it feels to be on the side of the kids that are ignored and neglected. They just see the bright shining faces of the popular kids that form all these cliques. They see how happy they are. I am not trying to tear down on Lincoln in any way. I have been there forever. I'm just letting you know that this isn't the right choice for kids that have a tendancy to be left out. No school is perfect, though. I just want everyone to know that there are kids at this school that have been stuggling with what I have been too. That's why I'm leaving

Posted March 13, 2011

I have been at Lincoln for as long as I can remeber. I love it! All the teachers are so friendly and really work hard for each student individually. The cirrucliculam is just absouloutley amazing. Everyone shows a tremendous amount of effort in everything they learn and teach. I couldn't imagine ever leaving Lincoln, I have grown so close...

Posted January 19, 2011

Our daughter is in her 2nd year (1st grade) and is absolutely loving the Core Knowledge. We considered long and hard what school would be the best fit for a fairly shy but academically gifted child. So far she has had a wonderful time interacting with kids of a wide variety of academic abilities (including some who are at least as advanced as she is). While we have been disappointed in the math, we are fairly certain that we would be frustrated with more than that 1 issue in any other public school and her teacher is working with us to try and keep her challenged and interested.

Posted October 15, 2010

My two children entered Lincoln Academy as 2nd and 4th graders. But better late than never! I will be honest, it was difficult for my 4th grader. The Core Knowledge program starts in kindergarten and keeps building and building each year. It was quite an adjustment from our neighborhood school. I am constantly AMAZED at what the Lincoln Academy students are learning. Technology is a Core class, and my kids love it! My oldest child does not like to read, yet his favorite middle school teachers were the reading/writing teachers. My oldest is now a freshman at A-West. His 5 years at Lincoln Academy made the transition to highschool an easy one! I cannot say enough good things about the teachers, teaching assistants, and administration. There is a truly caring environment here, with LOTS OF INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION (if needed). I personally have never seen religious teachings inappropriately integrated into the classroom.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students86%

Not eligible for free/reduced price lunch73%
Students without disabilities78%
Neither migrant nor immigrant74%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A41%
Male 52%N/A51%
Female 48%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Colorado Governor's Distinguished Improvement (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
Clubs
  • National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (303) 467-5367

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom