Arvada, CO
Students enrolled: 1,675

Posted May 09, 2014
The teachers amazing at this school. I love going here and believe that I am properly being prepared for collage. The "cliques" and "preppy" kids are at every school, not just Ralston Valley! The music department is incredible and all the sports and clubs are amazing.

Posted April 12, 2014
After attending Ralston Valley for my Freshman and Sophomore years I have to say that I am utterly unimpressed with it. I don't think that it deserves it's 10 rating. The administration certainly had nothing to do with that. They are lazy when it comes to improvement. The academics are alright, especially if you take honors or AP courses, but they are nothing exceptional. There is defiantly a huge emphasis on sports. The main problem with Ralston Valley is the pressure to conform to the upper-middle class white kid stereotype. When it comes to the outside world students are ignorant and xenophobic, preferring to stay safely inside the Ralston Valley bubble. If this doesn't bother you then you'll probably have a great time at Ralston Valley, but if you have a problem with this, then you will will most likely feel isolated and trapped by the homogeneity here.

Posted August 01, 2013
Ralston Valley was a great high school for myself. I came from a small middle school up in the mountains and although it was daunting at first it was a great experience. I suppose I was in the unpopular group in school but I enjoyed it nonetheless and gained great friends in the process. While there are "cliques" at this school they are not as bad as you would think. It's not segregation, just people wanting to hang out with other people. I was never bullied at this school and while it is mostly Caucasian, it is a very accepting school. I would recommend it to anyone and I disagree with some of the lower ratings on here.

Posted July 15, 2013
I attended Ralston Valley for two years before leaving and home schooling my last two years. I couldn't handle the disrespect of the students towards the teachers and the laziness of the teachers anymore. Discipline simply does not exist here. Kids wear whatever they want despite the dress code and teachers couldn't care less about their kids (absolutely everything is about test scores- one of my science teachers even told us that he didn't care if we learned, that his job was simply to run through the curriculum). As mentioned before, there is no diversity. Most kids are snooty rich/upper-middle class students that come to school hung over from partying all weekend. In middle school I had a 4.0 GPA and was asked to join the Junior Honor Society; here I struggled to hold good grades, not because I wasn't motivated or didn't have parents that cared, but because my teachers never helped me when I asked for help. All they did was write notes on the board, we copied, and were tested the next day. No teaching. One of my teachers even disappeared in the middle of the school year and no one heard from him again or knows what happened. I can name 5 good teachers; the rest were lazy.

Posted May 15, 2012
Our child has been attending here for 3 years. He lettered academically in his Freshman year and was elected to National Honor Society the following fall. He carries a 3.85 GPA and takes honors classes. It is a rigorous schedule and it is good for him, however, he will be attending a different high school for 12th grade due to the fact that the faculty does not return phone calls or emails that they don't deem important enough. In speaking with the principal, we were told that even though our family was going out of the country for 2 weeks, he would be unable to take his finals early (by 1 day), which jeapordizes his GPA, National Honor Society, and possibility for an academic scholarship. People are right about this school. It is very beautiful to look at, but that doesn't help the situation that all the staff wants to do is make sure their test scores are high so they can get more students and be "the best" in scholarships, etc....It is a joke!! The principal didn't care that the counselor failed to contact me back after weeks of emails and phone calls, and just shrugged it off! My son deserves better...and he will be a better person for attending a different High School!

Posted May 19, 2011
If you think it important your children gain an understanding of the value of other points of view, diversity and tolerance, in addition to academics, go elsewhere. RV has close to no diversity in student backgrounds, ethnic or otherwise and does not appear to seek it out. Half our son's teachers did not bother to respond to parent inquiries, email or otherwise. The focus is solely on test scores and college admissions. If you're looking for a myopic focus on academics and sports, an appalling lack of diversity, and just want to keep your kids in an upper middle class suburban bubble, this is the place for you. But most of us think there's a lot more to education than that. You can do much better for your kids than RV. Test scores and sports trophies aren't the only yardsticks. Our son has a solid B average at RV in his first year. Academics are fine, the social environment leaves a lot to be desired. You can get the academics with a much more rounded and educational experience elsewhere. We'll not be back next year. Thanks to School Choice there are alternatives!

Posted September 25, 2009

Ralston Valley Senior High School 0

Posted September 02, 2009
Ralston Valley High School is exceptional! The principal is amazing and has a great relationship with all the students. Challenging curriculum and students are very prepared to go on to college. Would recommend Ralston Valley to anyone looking for an excellent school for their children.

Ralston Valley Senior High School 0

Posted July 19, 2009
I have two children that graduated from RV and they are as different as night to day. My oldest received a full tuition academic scholarship from a prestigious private university. My second a full ride sports scholarship from D-1 University. I attribute both of their successes to the leadership from the admisitration and some of the best teachers in the state. They encouraged growth and pushed both my kids to their full potential. I have read a few negative reviews from other parents, and as an involved parent myself, I can say that most students who don't succeed there, usually have troubles due to lack of motivation and parental support, not a lack of teacher initiative.

Posted January 09, 2009
Ralston Valley offers all of the opportunities for one to challenger his/herself. If a student does not receive enought homework, then the level of his/her classes should be raised. The cirriculum is very rigorous if one takes advantage of the difficult classes offered. The teachers are usually available and willing to help their students succeed.

Ralston Valley Senior High School
13355 West 80th Ave, Arvada, CO  80005
Last modified Ralston Valley Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ralston Valley Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top