Arvada, CO

Posted July 08, 2013
All the teachers I've worked with really know their students, how they're doing academically, and are always looking for ways to increase their learning success. The secretaries make me feel at ease leaving my son there and I watched how they make every student feel at ease and welcome. Ms. Burns worked wonders with my child and somehow inspired him to write and focus.

Thomson Elementary School 5

Posted May 10, 2013
This is the second year my children have been at Thomson Elementary, and I've been impressed with the staff's commitment to children and to the constant improvement of their own knowledge and teaching skills. I also like that the school is friendly and encourages parents to come in to help, or even have lunch with their kids. Not as many parents take advantage of these opportunities as would perhaps be best, but on the whole, I believe this is a very good school, and I'm glad my kids are learning here.

Posted May 10, 2013
This is the second year my son has attended Thomson Elementary. It is also the second year that Thomson has had a new principal & academic improvement program. Academics, communication & discipline are noticeably stronger than even 2 yrs ago. The whole school is clearly on a unified academic track. My son loves Thomson & has matured both academically & socially here. Office staff & paras are excellent. Principal & teachers want to know about problems so they can fix them. My son is a non-traditional learner & although I had to advocate for him aggressively @ district level, Thomson has worked to meet him where his needs are. In general, no school is perfect. You must find a good fit for your child & stay involved. Every teacher/staff member is different. Some have more experience than others, esp with learning disorders. So be your child's advocate & insist on the teacher/team with the most experience that "gets" & respects your child. Involvement is the key. At Thomson I feel welcomed as a partner in my son's education, & will be as squeaky a wheel as I need to be. It is a place that is improving, where my son feels loved & challenged, and where I can make a difference.

Thomson Elementary School 1

Posted May 09, 2013
i go here the teacher refuses to help me with classwork in math and i have heard teachers swearing more then once

Thomson Elementary School 3

Posted May 16, 2012
my son Jeffrey went to this school for 5th and 6th grade. Ms. Annie was his teacher and he did amazingly with her. she is an amazing teacher and i believe that every school needs a Ms. Annie, however my experience with my son charlie is hands down different. i am frustrated beyond belief with the faculty of this school. with the exception of his teacher ms. martinez. ms martinez has gone out of her way this year to help keep the lines of communication open with me. however the social worker seems to think that child protective reports are the only way to communicate with us. my son is diabled. one time he did not want to get on the bus, and refused to get dressed. i sent him in his pajamas with a note stating why, and sent him a set of clean clothes. it was reported that i NEVER bathe my son and i choose my battles with him. my son told the social worker that he got a spanking, it was reported that my husband and i beat each other up on a daily basis and my son is afraid to come home, we have councilors in our home 6 days a week to help with our children. next year my step daughter will be going. i cant wait for those cps reports... uggg! teachers rock, others..???????

Thomson Elementary School 2

Posted November 15, 2011
My son goes to Thomson. My son has Autism, but is also highly gifted. The staff at Thomson has trouble dealing with the Autism. They seem to also have trouble following his IEP, or his ALP. I have asked repeatedly to see what he is doing for his ALP, and they can't present anything to me. We are currently looking for a different school for next year.

Thomson Elementary School 2

Posted January 26, 2010
I'm a parent of a student at Thomson. Although the staff is very nice, I'm really disappointed with my child's academic progress. What I have noticed consistently is a push to keep kids in a 'mainstream' situation, rather than giving them what they need to help them improve or excel. Additionally, although I have asked repeatedly over the past couple of years, my child does not receive work that is at all challenging. Instead, we are dealing with the affects of 'boredom' & disruption appears to be the result. What is more frustrating is to watch my child lose the enthusiasm to learn more because (outside of the extracurricular classes) according to my child, 'Nobody cares if I know more. They just tell me to wait and let somebody else answer and wait for other people to finish too before I get to do more...' This will be our last year.

Thomson Elementary School 3

Posted August 19, 2009

Thomson Elementary School 5

Posted May 20, 2009
I am a parent of a student here and my older child went to this school also. When I adopted my oldest she was in the 6th grade with a beging 3rd grade reading level after one here she was back on track and at a high school reading level. The teachers are always easy to reach and keep me updated on my kids progress. I have not moved because I want my kids to continue going to this great school

Posted January 06, 2009
I have 3 girls who go to this school and my son will be going next year. The teachers here are dedicated, helpful, fun and just all around great to the children as well as the parents. They are very prompt in returning questions whether you give a note to your child to give to the teacher, write an email or leave a voicemail. They all provide wonderful one on one with each child. My children love going to this school!! They especially love their family nights they put on, the end of the year fair and many other activities they provide for the children if interested. Not to mention the front office staff!! They are always very polite and are willing to help in every way possible!! I am so glad that we found such a great school as Thomson!!!

Thomson Elementary School
7750 Harlan St, Arvada, CO  80003
Last modified Thomson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomson Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top