Aurora, CO

Posted September 25, 2014
This is a great school that helps kids learn in exciting ways. There are a lot of children at this school because there are a lot of apartments. The people who complain about the principal are probably the parents whose kids cause problems. I'm at the school often and I see what the office staff and principal have to put up with. Parents need to control their kids behavior and not expect this school to do everything. The person who said the principal runs a tight ship is right! She has done so much for our school and community. The new building happened because of her and now kids don't have to be unsafe in mobiles. Great job Mrs Godwin and all the teachers you hire are good to.

Posted September 18, 2014
This is a really good school, and I have always been happy with it. All three of my children have attended there; the oldest is now in high school and the youngest is in first grade. As a teacher myself, I feel I know what my kids need and they are getting it at Tollgate. My third and first grade boy have structured homework almost every night and read past grade level. Their teachers are caring and the principal runs a tight ship. The boys like their school and love the learning expeditions. Tollgate also offers full-day kindergarten, which is an option many Colorado schools don't offer.

Posted January 07, 2014
If I could rate this Principal Ms. Godwin any lower I would. She is the rudest, most uncaring person I have ever dealt with in a professional capacity. Her reason for any issues presented is that she has 250 students and she can't keep track of all of them. WOW! The school board was called, my daughter called them. The School Board needs to look into the ethics of this school. The teachers are good, the principal in my opinion needs to get out of the education field.

Posted November 21, 2013
I believe Tollgate has some advantages and a lot of the things to work on. My son who is in kindergarten loves his teacher, however we have had problems from them sending out a letter in Spanish saying he is not proficient in English which my family does not speak Spanish, and English is his primary language- this had me worried, but he was retested and stated he was right on tract as all the other kids. We have had issues when he is not able to go to the bathroom, the lunch lady was mean to him and refused to help him open his lunch,. He over heard a kid being taken to a different home by a police officer, His teacher definitely seems to care but i called and tried to talk to the principal, when speaking with her it was obvious she did not care about listening to my concerns and was just interrupting me to make excuses and say how many kids they have, she stated to me if I go to the superintendent they can't do anything and it will just be redirected to her. needless to say I will be changing schools which is unfortunate because my son doesn't want to change his teacher, I also went to the school board and will continue with the complain with them despite changing schools.

Posted October 18, 2012
I have two daughters that currently attend Tollgate Elementary. One daughter has special needs, has been diagnosed with Aspergers. She receives tons of help from the Tollgate family, as well as receiving help outside the school from different support facilities, at my expense. I did have both of my daughters in a charter in APS, and unfortunately could not get the assistance I needed. I have always commended the team at Tollgate for their assistance, and continue to thank them for helping my daughter proceed toward her goals and set a expectation to her future daily.

Posted August 23, 2012
how many parents have a child with ADHD? What would you do, as a parent, if you got a phone call from the school that says...come pick up your child, he/shes acting out again and they are no longer welcome in this school until a Dr. can tell us what to do with them!! They are basically saying they can't do their job! If I were that parent, I'd be calling the news channels and reporting them. Spread it all over the news that the teachers at Tollgate Elementary cant do the job they were hired to do! Hundreds if not thousands of kids are diagnosed with ADHD and this school kicks them out because the Principal, Vice Principal, and the guidance counselor cant handle them!!!! OMG what is this world coming to if your child can't get the education they need because they have ADHD! Tollgate you should be ashamed of yourselves. You don't deserve to have your job if you can't handle an ADHD child. Your solution=kick him out so we don't have to deal with it! IT'S YOUR JOB TO DEAL WITH IT AND TO EDUCATE ALL CHILDREN! SHAME ON YOU.

Posted December 30, 2010
Tollgate was once again awarded the Center of Excellence Award. This is two years in a row that this school has gotten this recognition. We are so proud!

Posted February 24, 2010
I think this is a great school. The teacher who made bad comment listed below must have not made the cut. I know that the principal hold very high standard for teaching. If you do not perform she will not keep you. She listens to the parents a lot and what they say about the teachers.

Posted February 24, 2010
I have had two kids go through Tollgate now and I feel that there has been a lot of changes in the last two years. I like the direction they are moving in. But the best part of the school is the teachers. I love the teachers they have. I think they are gold.

Posted January 14, 2010
Both my children go to Tollgate. My daughter is in 3rd grade and my son is in Kindergarten. The teachers are great and care about the children. Even though APS don't generally have a high academic performance rating by the state and the teacher to student ratio is a bit high, the teachers here deserve a lot of credit for how well they manage the classes. The principal is very nice and the vice principal is awesome. He is always ensuring the safety of the kids. In the last 3 years I've seen only improvement at tollgate. If only tollgate would allow volunteer parents to be involved in classrooms, I think in a few years they could rise in their state academic ratings to a high level.

Tollgate Elementary School
701 South Kalispell Way, Aurora, CO  80017
Last modified Tollgate Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tollgate Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top