Aurora, CO

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
Not while they allow bullying to occur and fail to deal with the challenges they have properly.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
How can they claim to develop anything good when they cannot feed children or take care of them during the day for 5 hours?

Posted June 03, 2015
The Principal and anyone else who made the decision to fire the Cafeteria Manager for feeding hungry kids needs to be fired and have their teaching credentials revoked. This person should never be allowed to work in schools again in any capacity. Clearly he/she lacks any empathy or reason when it comes to dealing with children. Both of my parents were teachers (my father for 33 years) and it is an absolute disgrace to all teachers and our children what school administrators and politicians have done to our education system.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 03, 2015
The Cafeteria manager was fired for feeding hungry students who had no money for lunch. This is so wrong in so many ways. If they would acknowledge this poor administrative decision and give this caring woman her job back then maybe the poor lunch policies could be resolved.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 12, 2015
Very unhappy with this school. The communication is non-existent, even when you ask for an answer you get a bunch of round-about answers. The excuse from the principal on why the test scores are so low is that "we are one of the first to take this test to we have nothing to compare it to" Really? I am sure we are not the ONLY ones to be taking these tests and no one else seems to have a problem. Bullying is an extreme issue at this school. Rather, the bullying itself is probably the same as it is at other schools but when it happens the principal turns a blind eye and says "it is just kids being kids". The victim is treated like the bully rather than the other way around. Kids are told to go back to class when they are ill, my daughter called me to come pick her up because she felt so sick and was told it was almost the end of the day. There is a new vice-principal this year, and she truly seems to care about the kids. I have seen her talk with the children, tell them good morning with a smile, and the kids always are glad to see her.
4 people found this helpful

Posted March 12, 2014
We are new students to the school and have never been shown or told anything unless we have asked. It is a shame my daughter dislikes it here so much. The communication from the principle to parents is awful. They are disorganized , do not listen to the request of parents and the lack of Parent involvement is because of the lack of communication. They PTCO cannot even get back to you and when they do they have to ask three other people for an answer. We weren't even told how the calendar works, the lunch schedule or even where to find it. It is by far the worst I have seen. Something needs to change
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 03, 2012
My daughter, now in 5th grade, has attended Dakota Valley since 1st grade. I could not be happier with this school, it is truely wonderful. Every single teach has been a star, I can not say how thankful that my daughter has had this school for her formative years. She is an excellent student, well rounded, and truely loves learning. I know I cannot capture in words how truely excellent this school is, but if you put a high priority on learning; challenging your student in a supportive environment, this is the school for you. My daughter has been involved in their Gifted and Talented program, the CLASS program (encouraging understanding of multiculturalism), the band, and Battle of the Books club. There are many ways for students to be engaged

Dakota Valley Elementary School 2

Posted November 29, 2011
Moved here in Sept. 2006, had to wait until my daughter's first grade class tracked back on in Oct. 2006. This school didn't take the time to identify my daughter as G&T until April. A long frustrating two trimesters that were a terrible repeat of Kindergarten. We couldn't get her out of there fast enough. I understand that you have to teach the kids who don't get it yet, but this school left many kids to sit and get super bored to the point of hating school. Quite a few of us left DV after that year and moved to other CCSD school where we were much happier. You may not agree with this, but this was our experience along with others in our class. The outside buildings really separate the kids from everyone. There was no parent involvement. Myself and one mom were the only volunteers all year. Sad.

Posted August 15, 2011
To the parent that posted in 12/2010 that Dakota Valley did not offer children the learning foundation they needed to be life-long learners and successful citizens? All three of my children are attending, or have attended, Dakota Valley. All three have also tested in the 97% on the CSAPs, and have continually performed above and beyond in all of their classes. To say the school as a whole is failing our children is absolutely ridiculous, as my children thrive there. (One of which is now in Middle School and maintaining honor role status every semester, and looking at a scholarship for a High School program). Perhaps the fit was not well for you and your children, but to say you fear for our future, because these children are going to Dakota Valley? That is absolutely ludicrous.

Posted February 07, 2011
We searched for a school for a while before moving here. We have 2 kids that would be transferring grade schools. We have been at Dakota Valley for a month and our kids have adjusted very well thanks to the friendly teachers. One of our children takes a while to warm up to a new routine but she came home from the first day of school saying "I love this school" What a big relief for us as parents. Thanks teachers for making them feel so welcome & comfortable!

3950 South Kirk Way, Aurora, CO  80013
Last modified Dakota Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dakota Valley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top