Aurora, CO
Students enrolled: 2,192

Smoky Hill High School 3

Posted October 24, 2014
worst school ever. i wouldnt recommend this school for your child. all the teachers do is write students up and drown them with endless detentions and the teachers never have time for any of the students!! switching schools asap

Posted December 15, 2013
Smoky Hill is full of all kinds of people. The great thing is, for the most part, they all get along. Being in drama doesn't make you exclusively a drama kid, just as being in IB doesn't really make you a nerd. People meet others and connect with others in all sorts of ways, and cliques really don't exist, at least not in the common sense of the word. Students respect each other for their talents and interests. There are those who aren't involved in anything, who fail their classes, and who are unknown. That is where the school has fault. Also, the school is sharply split by demographic. The African Americans and Hispanics are a large group of people that seem to be apart from the rest of the school, and they do badly. If they are not motivated to do well, Smoky Hill is probably not the best place for them. If your student has hobbies and is planning to join a sport, NHS, IB, AP, or band, drama, orchestra, or choir, they will succeed. Speaking from personal experience, the IB and performing arts environments are two of the best in the school. Both IB kids and performing arts kids support and love each other. I cannot speak as well for the other groups in the school.

Posted June 05, 2013
My oldest child attended Smoky Hill for 2 years until we relocated. I was satisfied overall with the curriculum and the staff, but would have like to see more study skills presented to the students. The principal is amazing as are the majority of teachers and staff we encountered. The population is diverse, a plus for us, and there is lots of opportunity for student and parent involvement. My only issue with school activities is that everything met on Tuesdays after school, forcing kids to choose only one club or organization to participate in. We had a few issues with bullying but with the help of the deans they were addressed quickly and my child felt safe afterwards.

Smoky Hill High School 1

Posted April 11, 2012
I went to smoky hill. I learned to smoke cigarettes and weed. The coolest security guards worked there because they would drink alchohol on the job. They let me drop out without even consulting my parents. Of course when your just a number and not on stuco, in IB, or a star athelete, why would they care. I'm a business owner and very successful at that now, no thanks to Smoky Hill. Go Buffs!

Posted August 18, 2011
Smoky has some of the best teachers and security guards ever, every time i come to class, i want to learn because the teachers are so rad! And don't even get me started on the security guards! The security guards are the most interesting, trustworthy, AWESOME people you will meet, personally, they make Smoky Hill. but the deans are very strict and inconsistent on the dress code.Smoky, IF YOU CAN'T CATCH EVERYONE THAT IS VIOLATING THE DRESS CODE, DON'T CATCH THEM AT ALL PLEASE, its very unfair to those who do get caught.! how does the cleavage of my knees or shoulder effect the learning environment?? Other than that, Smoky is wonderful!

Posted August 23, 2010
Outstanding school. Amazing school spirit and great traditions. IB and AP programs are exceptional. New renovation looks amazing.

Smoky Hill High School 1

Posted April 27, 2010
We were unhappy with the level of instruction and the attitude of the staff when trying to work out problems. I pulled my daughter out of the school, and enrolled her in online schooling which may not be perfect but is much better than having her attend Smoky Hill

Posted February 08, 2010
Im a student at Smoky I am currently a Sophomore 2012! and I have had some of the best years of my life here. The AVID program is excellent probably best west of the Mississippi and it is just all a fun environment, teachers know what they are doing and everyone has a sense of pride to be a buffalo.

Posted January 11, 2010

Posted September 16, 2009

Smoky Hill High School
16100 East Smoky Hill Rd, Aurora, CO  80015
Last modified Smoky Hill High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smoky Hill High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top