Village East Community Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 830 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 15, 2014

This school is terrible. We were told we were going to be in one of the best school districts in CO. I hope that means the rest of the Cherry Creek schools far surpass this one. Our daughter was being inappropriately harassed by a boy classmate and when the teacher tried to get to the bottom of the problem, the parents blamed the teacher for their son's behavior- he's 10 years old and in 4th grade! My son was spit on and bullied by his classmates almost daily. The children here are so poorly behaved that no learning takes place here. I pulled my children out of there and homeschool them until we can move to an area with a school with children who are actually parented! They are learning so much more at home with me than they ever did at Village East. Don't send your kids here if you actually care about them and their education!

Posted February 20, 2014

My son has been attending this school for over two years now and in that time he has made A great deal of improvement especially with his reading for the most part the teachers and staff have been helpful and have helped him better than any other school he has attended .

Posted November 15, 2013

The school is very diverse but I believe the teachers are stretched too thin and students have a difficult time excelling and are not stimulated enought.

Posted July 18, 2013

Village East is not a school I would expect to be in Cherry Creek School District. There is virtually no supervision in the before and after care center. The children fight and argue with no help at all from administrators and staff. My child has been unaccounted for many times in the school and the aftercare program.

Posted June 3, 2013

Village East Community Elementary is a wonderful school if you actually take the time and effort to get to know the teachers and other faculty. My son was in Ms. Willards class as a Kindergartner and I could not have asked for a more devoted outstanding teacher. Unlike other parents I actually spent time in his classroom and went on fieldtrips so I feel that I got a good indication fo the kind of teacher she was. She has high expectations of her kids as do I and she does not put up with messing around in the classroom nor disruptive kids. She spends time with each student and really knows each childs ability and strengths and builds on those. I could not believe the control she had over the classroom with the student teacher ratio they expect these teachers to work in. I would recommend Ms. Willard to anyone that has a child entering Kindergarten. She is involved in her class and the school which if you took the time or effort to talk to her you would know. This year my son was in 1st grade. There were some small issues that the school immediately addressed and my son went to another class. Still I love this school and the administration for the care and concern they show

Posted June 1, 2013

My child has been at Village East since Kindergarten, she is now going into 3rd grade. The school itself is full of children from all cultural and economic backgrounds. While at this school my child has thrived academically, and has grown into an amazing individual. I believe this is due to her early experience at the school. For the parent who made the comment about Ms. Willard I have to say I strongly disagree. Ms. Willard is an amazing teacher. She meets her students where they are academically and pushes them to work at their highest potential. She doesn't just teach the student, she takes to time to build relationships with the families, and attends every school function even when the event happens while she is off track. Even though my child has moved on, Ms Willard has been instrumental in helping me advocate for my child by sitting in on meetings with teachers, providing articles, and getting my child involved in activities outside of school. A bully is definitely not I word I would use to describe Ms. Willard.

Posted May 29, 2013

Village East Ms. Willard is a great teacher, she has taught all 3 of my girls. She is old school and doesn't put up with anything. If you have not done your job as a parent by getting your children ready for school. What do you expect her to do! Bully she is definitly not. She has high expectations and gets the job done with what she has to work with. So PARENTS meet the teacher half way and do your part before they arrive!

Posted April 23, 2013

This elementary school is by far the worst school in cherry creek school district. The entire administrative staff needs to be replaced especially Mrs.WILLARD (kindergarten teacher). This women is a bully to the small kids in kindergarten. like the other reviewer said, we found our child outside the class room ten minutes before school ends. So, we pull him out of this horrible school and put him in privet school. I do not recommend this school at all! If you have a choice of schools please, please choose a different one!

Posted April 13, 2012

I am one of those parents who is constantly involved in my childs' care and education - and I LOVE LOVE Village East. The kids there are loving little children who are ready to learn under the supervision of EXCELLENT teachers. Of course there are always kids who make it tough in the classroom/on the playground - but overall the atmosphere is superb. As a very diverse school, it embraces the cultures of all the children which I love. And I find the school to be a secure and safe environment for my precious little ones. I couldn't ask for more from the staff and students at Village East.

Posted March 14, 2012

Village east is a is a very scary school to me.My children moved to this school and all my children right when they stepped into that school they begged me to move.My child was attending 2nd grade at the time,and she had the meanest teacher I've ever knew.I'm not going to point fingers,but the village east staff has a lack of hard-working people.To many teens are working there and most of them don't even care about the kids.It frightens me that my child can walk off with some stranger and never to be seen or heard from again.My child told me about the things he sees during recess,there are children doing things they shouldn't til their in high school.There are kids cussing which in all cases shouldn't be allowed,kids having boyfriends and girlfriends and kissing,and many other things that are to inappropriate ti be said.I'd moved my child the first month my child been at that inappropriate school.If I had to rate this school between 1 out of a billion it would be below 1 that's for sure.

Posted February 14, 2012

GREAT school! My son attends kindergarten and I am blown away at how much he has learned in half the school year. I know other children that are in the kindergarten but attend different schools that don't know half as much as he does. Keep up the great work Village East Staff!

Posted April 20, 2010

This is an excellent school. Mr. Arritola is the best principal I have had the opportunity to collaborate with. I love the focus on teaching my child how to make good choices. They also help the students to tear off negative labels and create a positive self image. It is a great school that teaches students real life skills and how to accept each and every person for their inner spirit rather than looks, clothes, race, or gender. I look forward to many more years to come!

Posted March 28, 2010

This is an excellent school. Every school has a few bad apples. The teachers and the administration are fabulous. This school will teach your child that everyone is human, no matter your culture. My fifth grade daughter was very nervous to be around so many different cultures, now after 7 months she doesn't see skin color anymore she sees children that have become her friends. The curriculum in the gt programs are very challenging. The teachers always offer to assist any child if they are having problems. I will be sad when my daughter moves to sixth grade, and I find her a middle school to attend.

Posted October 28, 2009

I was very happy to move my daughter to another school, it couldn't have happened fast enough. I had nothing but great experiences with the teachers and administration, and many of the kiddos are really wonderful. But a few bad apples seem to have really ruined this school - I just never figured out why the school was so chaotic. Between theft in the child care, bullying in 2nd grade, and some of the parents complete lack of caring about their kids, I just have had enough. I hope things turn around for this school and it's kids.

Posted April 10, 2009

Excellent school. I have 2 kids one on kibndergarden and the other one on second grade. The teachers are excellent and my children have learned very enormously thanks to the pasiencia and care of them. Technology is excellent. To make the parents participate in activities with the kids is huge. The work of the teachers one by one with the kids is excellent since the kids take advantage of mas the learning. The teachers always prepared to clarify to our doubts and the restlessness of our children. The personnel of the school is very kind and amiable

Posted January 13, 2009

Excellent School!!!! Congratulations Teachers

Posted January 13, 2009

My son is a first grader at this school. His teacher, Mrs. Heins, is a wonderful teacher. She is constantly in contact with me. She responds to all of my emails within 24 hours in most instances. Sadly, however, I do agree with the before/after school program. I've had problems with my son being bullied, the director keeping information from me regarding my child, and the staff not knowing the whereabouts of my child at any given time. As for the school's security, I feel that it could be much improved. Children are easily coerced by older people and I fear it would be very easy for a stranger to get a child to go with them and no one be the wiser at the time it was happening. The child/teacher ratio is out of balance leaving too much room for error.

Posted January 12, 2009

My son has been at this school for 3 years. His kindergarden teacher, Monica Argotsinger, was Amazing! Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the next 2 teachers. I have spent the last 2 years tryint to get him out of this school. My husband and I are now to the point of paying for private school so our child doesn't have to go to school here. There is little to no communication from teachers/administrators. The extended program is run by teenagers who pay no attention to the students. There is little supervision during recess, and little security around the school. It's scary a child can walk off with anyone, and there is no teacher to stop it. My family won't be attending this school next year.

Posted September 2, 2008

I think this school is great, so far so good. My son is in 1st grade, he started at Village East, half-way through Kindergarden, and he has received 2 awards since being there. I like it ,if I there is/was a problem the teachers will contact me ,and they also have a contact number they can be reached at. Can't wait for my daughter to start next year.

Posted July 7, 2008

Very poor communication with parents, not enough supervision, teachers seem to just let the sudents work it out themselves instead of stepping in and helping with solution

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students62%

Limited English proficiency (LEP)24%
Proficient in English40%
Neither migrant nor immigrant38%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 67%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Barbara Walker

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now