Buffalo Trail Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted Thursday, July 24, 2014

I have been going to buffalo trail for 4 years now, and the best teacher I had was Mr. Towner. Most people had him for kindergarden, but I had him for 3rd grade. All the teacers are so nice!

Posted April 17, 2014

My daughter attends kindergarten in Buffalo Trail Elementary School, I'm very pleased with her teacher, she has been learning a lot since she started school..

Posted December 21, 2013

My daughter's school is pretty good. But the staff is very rude. Some of the staff say things about a student's race. One incident that my daughter had with a recess monitor, was when the staff member grabbed my daughter, and threw her to the ground. She was knocked out, and had to the go t the hospital because of the concussion. The rude staff member still works there. Some of my daughter's friends have experienced these types of things as well

Posted October 8, 2013

My Son loves going to Bufalo Trail, the teacher and staff are great. My son is learning so much everyday.

Posted August 27, 2013

This is our second year with children at this school. It is a fantastic school. Caring, dedicated staff who truly see the children they work with. We have both children with some special needs and who qualify for the Gifted and Talented program and both needs are met brillantly. LOVE this school and the staff here.

Posted November 24, 2012

I have gone here since it opened in 2006- this is my last year here. I have had so much fun in the curriculum up until this year where I just can't deal with the teacher (then again, she's new this year and needs to settle in a bit...). Other than that, they have an amazing gifted/talented program and also a fantastic ILC/special needs program. The lunch program in Cherry Creek Schools has always been good, and probably will always be. During the fourth year there (third grade for me) there were about 32 kids in a class and about 1100 kids total, but Pine Ridge got rid of the 500 kid overflow. I am not sure about middle school or what it will be like, but my education so far has been fun, welcoming, and better than the program in Aurora School District.

Posted August 19, 2010

I love Buffalo Trail! We have been at this school 4 years now, and have yet to have a problem. The teachers are responsive and attentive. They challenge the students and expect excellences. I've enjoyed getting to know the staff and principal as well. Any concerns have been addressed and handles promptly and to my satisfaction. The teachers are top-notch and seem to love what they are doing. Last year was a difficult year due to growth in the school that wasn't relieved until a new school opened in the area this year! But I thought everyone handled it the best they could. I'm very thankful to be able to send my children to Buffalo Trail.

Posted July 7, 2010

My oldest daughter just finished kindergarten and we are so pleased with the level of learning that occurred over the year she was there. Her teacher communicated well and I found the homework appropriate in aiding in her overall success - she is reading wonderfully, adding, subtracting, telling time etc. She is blossoming socially as well. Buffalo Trail has a FANTASTIC Enrichment program for families that must work full time - the teachers are AMAZING - my daughter loved going to school every day! The parking lot can be a bit of a nightmare but they have made some changes to make it safer. My daughter is excited to start 1st grade and our youngest daughter will start pre-school in the fall as well.

Posted May 30, 2010

The fourth grade math program has been horrible at best. My child could have gotten a better math education at Primrose Daycare. It is sad. The parking lot is a death trap and the principal turns her head to the issues.

Posted May 18, 2010

My son just started kindergarten this year and we are extremely pleased with the quality of services BT provides. My son has special needs and was put in an IEP around mid school year, and since then he has made vast improvements. The school takes his special needs very seriously and are very proactive regarding his special services plan. All of the teachers and staff are very warm and welcoming to the students and the parents. As far as accademics, I am amazed at the speed that these children are learning and the content of knowledge that is being taught. It is now close to the end of the school year and my kindergartener is writing full stories, has solid sentence structure knowledge, can tell time, knows currency, can add and subtract, has a basic knowledge of geography, and so much more. I am amazed.

Posted April 5, 2010

I was only able to tolerate 3 months for my daughter in kindergarden before I pulled her out, as she was screaming , not wanting to go to school, and stating that she was 'dumb'. The teachers have their pre-determined teaching approach, and were unable to change their approach when it would benefit the child . The school chose to eliminate recess for kindergarden, and when I voiced concern, the principle stated that 'she would hate to see the other parents prevent their children from befriending my child due to my families opinions.' Our teacher was unresponsive when requested to provide practice materials for home. Homework is intensive and required 30-40 min. per day in kindergarden. Overall, it was very disappointing. I did 'school of choice' to a different school in the same district and it has been a wonderful experience.

Posted June 26, 2009

BT is a good school. The kids love going each day. As a parent there are some things I would like to see change. Most of the focus is put on reading and writing in the early years. Which is good, but I would like to see more of a balance with science, math, social studies... I personally think videos are watched too much. I also think there is way too much busy work with the worksheets. I would like to see more hands on activities and teaching. The school is already getting a new principle so we will see what changes take place in the future. There are a lot of great teachers at this school. Some communicate well with the parents, and others do not. It just depends on who you get. Hope to see the ratings improve next year! Maybe BT can get some ideas from Coyote Hills.

Posted March 12, 2009

The building is beautiful but it lacks the feeling of an elementary school. I feel that the teachers work extremely hard and care about their students. There is also a great deal of technology that is available to the students which I love.If I could change some things I would like for the administration to be more open and friendly to the students and parents. I also feel that the library needs more books. I know that this is a new school and hopefully the problems will be worked out.

Posted February 9, 2009

I love Buffalo Trail. My daughter began kindergarten it's opening year and my son began 3rd grade. I absolutly love the teachers. The staff at Buffalo Trail are young, full of energy, and ready to jump in and teach in a fun controlled enviorment that promotes growth, self confidence, and personal responsibility on top of academics! I am so grateful my children are so blessed to be a part of this school and all of the wonderful staff there.

Posted September 4, 2008

Both my son and I love this school! The teachers and teacher assistants are all very skilled with dealing with the children and each child gets individual attention. I'm glad my son will go to Buffalo Trail again next year for another round of excellent pre-school!

Posted August 22, 2008

As a parent it is nice to hear from your child that they enjoy going to school. My son attended last year and has already stated how much he has enjoyed his first week at school.

Posted July 18, 2008

My daughter has just finished 1st grade at Buffalo Trail. I don't know how the CSAP Score of this school have been this year, but I would say, in terms of discipline, school spirit, organization and quality of teachers, this is one of the best schools in Cherry Creek. My daughter completed her Kindergarten at Homestead, which, in my view, does not compare to Buffalo Trail in any way. Buffalo Trail is undeniuably better. the Principle has a great vision and keeps the welfare and safty of the students above all. It feels like family being a part of the school. The focus on academics is very clear and they have good extracurricular activities like Chess Club, Math Club even in First Grade. So, unless your kid gets into Challenge School , I would recommed looking into Buffalo Trail. We absolutely love the school !!

Posted July 16, 2008

We moved to this school in Jan 08 and are thrilled with the kids' progress! The principal has hired top-notch teachers that are excited about the challenge of starting a new school. There are different ability groups for all kids in math and language arts which was unheard of in elementary level in our old district. I highly recommend this school!!

Posted April 25, 2008

I just moved in Jan 08 from Maryland and I love this school. This school exceed district standards with the principal's standards and they really give the kids the attention they need. My child has learned a tremendous amout of new things in 3 months. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

All Students91%

Students without disabilities74%
Proficient in English65%
Neither migrant nor immigrant68%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

24300 East Progress Dr