Public charter
Aurora, CO

Posted January 04, 2015
I wrote a review on this site last year and at at that time I gave the school two stars. This year I give it one, and I have moved all my children to other schools. The review mentioning a gifted and talented program is a blatant falsehood. My children have scored in the gifted range on the school MAPS assessments for years and were never placed in any such program. When I asked about it, I was told that it was "in development". We have been at GVA for over 6 years, so my opinions are well informed. Here are the issues you should be aware of prior to enrolling your child at this school: - Disorganization is chronic and pervasive. Although West campus is newer, the problem seems to be worse there. - Teacher turnover is also chronic and pervasive, to some extent by design. Immersion teachers are often here on 3 year visas, so even if they hire a good one that teacher will leave. - Teachers are not highly qualified for their jobs. Ask about their qualifications. Training matters. - The middle school technology curriculum was a complete trainwreck upon rollout this year. How would the students use it competently when their teachers cannot?
4 people found this helpful

Global Village Academy 4

Posted January 03, 2015
Take each comment with a grain of salt. My experience with this school has been nothing short of amazing. My child is in 3rd grade and has been here since Kinder. He is able to communicate with native speaking Spanish people along with being able to read and write above grade level. The other incidents happen everywhere so don't be fooled! They have a gifted program here and maybe parents are angry if their child doesn't make it in but that is OK. Our classroom is smaller than Aurora Frontier (26 kids) and the work my child brings home blows my mind. Can your child do division in Spanish or Chinese - bet not but mine can

Posted January 03, 2015
The person who just wrote the last review is either an administrator or a halfwit. This school is sub par at best and everyone knows it. Gifted and Talented? Since when, and why is this not made available for all parents to know about? We have left and there are other families who have left this school for greener pastures, and better educated and professional staff and administrators. When my husband and I went to another Aurora school to register my son, they stated, and I quote, "Oh, yes, this is around the time we start receiving children from THAT school. We don't know how they keep their doors open!!" (END QUOTE) Don't send your children there. We are so much happier now that we have left......
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 08, 2014
The last post on 10/2/2014 is so TRUE. If I can give this school a lower star I would. Horrible school. This school testing scores are soooo low, that if your child were to attend another school, your child will fail. If your child is smart, the teacher will hold your child back so that the other children can catch up. They teach the children to tell if they see bullying but punish the teller or re-victimizing the victim all over again. Teachers tell the kids to disobey their parent and when called on the bad advise, the teacher wants to cry intimidation. The administration says "you don't want to be known as the parent who goes off on a teacher...then the student will suffer from your actions". This statement was from their student Coordinator Ms. Houghtaling. If you ask to see the "teacher" credentials, they will not be told to you. Half of the teachers just have a certificate that's not up to the standards to the US let alone the National teachers standards. Kids everywhere at all times Not even in class. Teachers can't control their classrooms. Traffic is out of control. The school is supposed to be "culturally diverse" but it's not. HORRIBLE school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 02, 2014
Contrary to the previous post about how "great" GVA is, there is more to education than parental involvement. While it is key, parents who work hard to be there for their children also deserve the same attentiveness and care from staff who work for and with their children. GVA Aurora is simply not a school that supports ALL of the families and their students that attend this school! The focus is NOT negativity, but rather truth. GVA Aurora is not a great school and ALL the concerns presented are facts; the truth! The facility is filthy, carlines are totally unsafe though there are extremely rude staff members who attempt to "direct traffic", the only parents who have no problem with issues like these are those who are comfortable with below average education. All children, no matter ability deserve the best education. All the "supportive" parents claim your child must be practically perfect to attend GVA, so basically ALL special needs or other so called
4 people found this helpful

Global Village Academy 4

Posted September 29, 2014
Both of my kids attend GVA, and love it. I make sure to work very closely with their teachers and staff to ensure the best education possible. The reviews left by other parents are quite negative, and I understand their concerns, however if you do have a well behaved child who is open to learning and you are there to guide them, they will do just fine. If you are a lazy parent who does not stay involved with your child's academics, do not send them here.

Posted September 11, 2014
IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS. If you are a parent with a child at GVA read the reviews, visit unannounced and volunteer. You will pull your child out! What actually happens during the day is not what you think. Ask for proof of teachers credentials and is they were validated as well as the principal. You will be shocked. Not only are there academic concerns there are security concerns. They didn't see me or question me when I walked onto the playground and picked up my son at lunch!

Posted September 03, 2014
This school was the worst thing that ever happened to our son who is now in 7th grade. He went to GVA for 1st grade and had huge struggles. We didn't know that he had an actual disability at the time, but I can tell you for sure that this school was absolutely not equipped to manage a child with any special learning issues of any kind. They do not have the staff. But worse than that, it was clear that they just wanted our son to go away. They had no solutions and did not care in the slightest. Teneshia Taylor was the only person who was concerned about the kids but she had zero support from the principle or anyone else. It was a terrible joke and a mess. Its was so disappointing because the concept was absolutely wonderful. But when you have incompetent people in charge, it doesn't matter how great the concept is. I wasn't ever going to write this review but when I happened upon this site and the reviews I saw here, I see that nothing has changed. DO NOT ever send your child here if you feel that they will need any additional help or cooperation beyond the regular classroom. They will not get it here.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 06, 2014
This school is not good. The principle has no respect to parents. The classroom is over crowded, no enough table, each table jammed up with over 6 kids. No playground, they let kids running on the parking lot. Many teachers have no certificates. Traffic is always more than a nightmare, gosh, no way to get in to the school, then once get in, then no way to get out, entrance is also exit. When my kid was there, I was unhappy and stressed everyday.

Global Village Academy 2

Posted June 23, 2014
I have mixed emotions about this school. It started out with a great vision but somewhere along the way that vision was lost. Over-crowded classes, east campus is a pig style, teachers look overwhelmed and the place is chaotic. I think if they had taken time to perfect their model instead of the rapid expansion and "lets get as many kids as we can cram into classes" model, it would have been a great school. We finally decided to pull our kids out after this school year.

Global Village Academy
403 South Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO  80017
Last modified Global Village Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Global Village Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top