Public charter
Aurora, CO

Global Village Academy 4

Posted August 04, 2015
I wanted to thank the parent that recommended we look into the teachers and if they are certified. I did get with the Administrator and it looks like they are. They all have degrees which was also shown to me. I wanted to set the truth on that but didn't ask about the background check, APS usually handles that but will ask next time. I am very happy with the development of my kinder. She is able to count and identify words in chinese! I am a happy parent and really don't understand the low rating. Now traffic is bad but what school doesn't have issues. I have a middle schooler at South middle school and their traffic is awful too.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2015
Caring staff from front desk to top Administrators. There is a tier of Administrators that can help you and your student.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2015
As a parent of a 5th grader who started in Kinder I am very pleased with the growth and knowledge my son has received in his last 5 years. Parents love to vent their anger in any forum possible but go into the school and see for yourself. The Principal is involved, teacher as certified (by law) and background checks are done on everyone in the buildings. Sure test scores aren't great but you have student learning 2 languages at the same time where traditional schools only teach 1 and have low to moderate test scores. Think twice before judging this school based off of parents who just want to vent. Happy 5th grade parent!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 22, 2015
Immersion teachers are native speakers and work all subjects (except English) with the kids. By the end of Kindergarten year our student was able to converse and respond to Chinese speakers she met on social and travel occasions. For the last two years the school has increased the time devoted to English studies. We are very please and enrolling a second student this academic year.

Posted January 04, 2015
I wrote a review on this site last year and at at that time I gave the school two stars. This year I give it one, and I have moved all my children to other schools. The review mentioning a gifted and talented program is a blatant falsehood. My children have scored in the gifted range on the school MAPS assessments for years and were never placed in any such program. When I asked about it, I was told that it was "in development". We have been at GVA for over 6 years, so my opinions are well informed. Here are the issues you should be aware of prior to enrolling your child at this school: - Disorganization is chronic and pervasive. Although West campus is newer, the problem seems to be worse there. - Teacher turnover is also chronic and pervasive, to some extent by design. Immersion teachers are often here on 3 year visas, so even if they hire a good one that teacher will leave. - Teachers are not highly qualified for their jobs. Ask about their qualifications. Training matters. - The middle school technology curriculum was a complete trainwreck upon rollout this year. How would the students use it competently when their teachers cannot?

Posted January 03, 2015
The person who just wrote the last review is either an administrator or a halfwit. This school is sub par at best and everyone knows it. Gifted and Talented? Since when, and why is this not made available for all parents to know about? We have left and there are other families who have left this school for greener pastures, and better educated and professional staff and administrators. When my husband and I went to another Aurora school to register my son, they stated, and I quote, "Oh, yes, this is around the time we start receiving children from THAT school. We don't know how they keep their doors open!!" (END QUOTE) Don't send your children there. We are so much happier now that we have left......
6 people found this helpful

Posted October 08, 2014
The last post on 10/2/2014 is so TRUE. If I can give this school a lower star I would. Horrible school. This school testing scores are soooo low, that if your child were to attend another school, your child will fail. If your child is smart, the teacher will hold your child back so that the other children can catch up. They teach the children to tell if they see bullying but punish the teller or re-victimizing the victim all over again. Teachers tell the kids to disobey their parent and when called on the bad advise, the teacher wants to cry intimidation. The administration says "you don't want to be known as the parent who goes off on a teacher...then the student will suffer from your actions". This statement was from their student Coordinator Ms. Houghtaling. If you ask to see the "teacher" credentials, they will not be told to you. Half of the teachers just have a certificate that's not up to the standards to the US let alone the National teachers standards. Kids everywhere at all times Not even in class. Teachers can't control their classrooms. Traffic is out of control. The school is supposed to be "culturally diverse" but it's not. HORRIBLE school.

Posted October 02, 2014
Contrary to the previous post about how "great" GVA is, there is more to education than parental involvement. While it is key, parents who work hard to be there for their children also deserve the same attentiveness and care from staff who work for and with their children. GVA Aurora is simply not a school that supports ALL of the families and their students that attend this school! The focus is NOT negativity, but rather truth. GVA Aurora is not a great school and ALL the concerns presented are facts; the truth! The facility is filthy, carlines are totally unsafe though there are extremely rude staff members who attempt to "direct traffic", the only parents who have no problem with issues like these are those who are comfortable with below average education. All children, no matter ability deserve the best education. All the "supportive" parents claim your child must be practically perfect to attend GVA, so basically ALL special needs or other so called

Global Village Academy 4

Posted September 29, 2014
Both of my kids attend GVA, and love it. I make sure to work very closely with their teachers and staff to ensure the best education possible. The reviews left by other parents are quite negative, and I understand their concerns, however if you do have a well behaved child who is open to learning and you are there to guide them, they will do just fine. If you are a lazy parent who does not stay involved with your child's academics, do not send them here.

Posted September 11, 2014
IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS. If you are a parent with a child at GVA read the reviews, visit unannounced and volunteer. You will pull your child out! What actually happens during the day is not what you think. Ask for proof of teachers credentials and is they were validated as well as the principal. You will be shocked. Not only are there academic concerns there are security concerns. They didn't see me or question me when I walked onto the playground and picked up my son at lunch!
4 people found this helpful

403 South Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO  80017
Last modified Global Village Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Global Village Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top