Overland High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 24, 2014

As a graduating senior this year, I am incredibly fond of Overland and all that it has given me in the past four years. When I came in as a freshman, the school resembled a jail, but now it is truly something to be proud of. Overland has come a long way. Our athletics, while not perfect, have improved tremendously, as well as our performing arts department. Overland has a very caring, spirited, and warm community that has taught me about the beauty and importance of diversity. in the past couple of years I have met and befriended people from all over the world/country, and I honestly would not want it any other way. Of course, Overland is not perfect, but if one takes the opportunities the school offers, they will benefit from doing so. Going to Overland has been a marvelous experience, through my hard work at this school I was able to be accepted into all of the universities I applied to. Among these are University of Colorado at Boulder. I will be attending NYU, but I know of quite a few students in my class that will be attending schools like MIT, Brown, Purdue and other prestigious universities. This school is truly unique and deserves much more credit than it is given.

Posted December 8, 2011

I currently attend Overland as a 10th grader and I love it! All the people who are complaing about the school are mostly parents and dont attend the school so they dont know what goes on inside the school. The school hires some of the best of the best teachers who truly care about the students and push us to do our best. It has greatly improved form what it was and continues to improve. The school is so diverse that meet someone new everyday and I really enjoy that. So stop complaining about Overland because EVERY SCHOOL HAS ITS PROBLEMS AND NOT EVERY SCHOOL IS PERFECT SO STOP! Overland is great.

Posted November 13, 2011

Overland is a pretty good high school. I am a freshman that attended Campus Middle school and i tried to choice into Cherry Creek High School but i didn't get in. I love all of my teachers but the classes are easy. The staff is great but I hate the principal. He is messing up the school. He hired a teacher to teach both band and orchestra and the teacher has no marching experience. He has worked the band into our lunch period and even worked us through lunch on a saturday rehersal with two 60 second water breaks and made us march in the sun. The musical arts at overland at very bad and have no hope of getting better until the band teacher is replaced and the principal learns how to hire a good teacher. About 90% of the band feels this way. I do find it very offensive to classify the students of Overland as thieving drop outs.

Posted November 5, 2011

I too was partially dismayed by things I had heard about Overland High School while my son was a student at Prairie Middle School. But, I did my research on the students and staff; and I found Overland to have a caring, supportive, diverse environment with no cliques and great teachers! The new STEM institue is wonderful, and it is an invaluable addition to the area. I'm sorry to hear about the alleged break-ins to cars of surrounding residents; however, I think it is unfair and inaccurate to classify 70% of our students as ungrateful, thieving dropouts. That is so far from the truth! I live right up the street from Overland, I have had no problems. Please do not take the word of a post that is littered with misspellings and bad punctuation. The new principal is great; and he has all but eliminated the smoke pit by 7-11(which, by the way, is NOT located on school property). My son is now a sophomore at Overland. He loves the school, the teachers, and the environment. He is doing great academically and athletically, and the students ARE held accountable for their actions! We do need more parent involvement.

Posted October 28, 2011

i live in apartments behind the school, on a dayly bassis there is someone that has had there car or truch broken into and stolen from including 2 times myself, its hard to tell who it was concidering the hordes of kids that walk through here and dont live here, overland is filled with about 70% ungreatfull theaving dropouts and 30% of kids who actualy care. when this issue was addressed to the school they simply said "they need to get home some how" so heres our new solution, there are no truspassing signs around the complex, so from now on when students pass through the complex they will be detained whall law enforcement arives to issue summons.

Posted October 17, 2011

This school is not a good surrounding. You see a thousand kids smoking by the popular ditch by 711. Not good , bad school, bad influences.

Posted October 5, 2011

I love this school it is a great school and it has vary awsome teachers and I love all the teachers that work there

Posted September 11, 2011

I am a freshman at Overland this year and i highly enjoy it. I came onto this website and saw all the terrible reviews and tried to choice into schools. I am so glad i did not go to another school. Overland in the past has not been the best school but i think the principal is taking a good new approach and trying to bring the school back. My teachers are caring and help me with my work and answer all my questions. At overland we are like family. Thats what makes the experience so much better. I am so proud to be an overland blazer. Class Of 2015!!!!!:)

Posted July 22, 2011

I work in various high schools in the metro area. Cherry Creek Schools are good schools and the teachers are held to high expectations. Overland has more economic challenges then more affluent neighborhoods so personally I feel that these teachers are some of the best in the state of Colorado. My daughter comes home and talks about how amazing her teachers are and I will forever be grateful for their dedication to her.

Posted December 15, 2010

I would never recommend anyone to attend Overland. I'm a current student, and it's horrible. I filled out my school-of-choice forms as soon as they were available. Teachers don't care, and students are allowed to do whatever they please. I sat in my math teacher's classroom to work on a test that I had missed due to being sick, this was an Algebra 1 class with Juniors, Sophomores and Freshman in it; I heard the "N," word a good fifty times if not more. It's literally two different schools, a majority of about 60% who could care less and 40% who actually care. Hopefully with the direction of the new principal it'll turn around. But it's highly unlikely.

Posted December 1, 2010

I have two kids in Overland High School and can tell you as someone who has two advanced degrees that this is a low quality school. Athletics and extracurricular activities take up to much time and you can even participate if you have an F, but not two because education is important. You have no communication with teachers and as indicated by a low graduation rate it is obviously not a priority. The teachers and parents are not on the same page or even reading the same book for that matter.

Posted June 6, 2010

Overland High School is the step-child for the Cherry Creek school district. On numerous occasions they have asked Aurora Public Schools to take over the school. Facilities are old and neglected, athletic uniforms and equipment need replaced, coaching and administration is like a revolving door. They allow too many out of district students (DPS & APS) to open enroll.

Posted April 11, 2010

I am very surprised to see that Overland received such a low rating. I received my HS education from three different high schools and Overland, in retrospect, is a great school. Yes it is more diverse and yes it isn't in the best of areas, but I truly believe that the teachers there are one of the best. They have a passion for their students and it being an older school, many of my teachers actually went to OHS for their HS education as well. Overland simply has a bad reputation because many of the students are from economically disadvantaged families, and thus acts differently than many students from more affluent communities. This in no way is a reflection of who they are as students nor of Overland as an educational institute. Overland is a great school.

Posted October 15, 2009

Overland High School has been an excellent choice for our daughter. The school is large enough to offer all that would be expected of a school in the Cherry Creek School District. The academics, sports, activities, and clubs are varied and numerous. My husband and I have been active volunteers and have encountered many wonderful and dedicated administrators, teachers, coaches and staff.

Posted October 1, 2009

Overland High School is not only one of the most diverse schools in Colorado, but we are held accountable for high academic classes. People here get along great with each other maybe because this school is so diverse but we also make our peers want to get involved because of our pride. Rules and regulations are getting straightened out so students do not skip class and make sure they arrive on time. Teachers ask students to come in for help when they need it. Pride, spirit, communication, academics, and diversity. What else could you ask for?

Posted August 17, 2009

I transferred my kids to this school and they love it. Great teachers. They love the international diversity.

Posted June 17, 2008

All of the teachers at overland high are very nice they teach very well.

Posted June 1, 2008

I love this school I will be in 10th next year and im in the drama club and in choir. They have alot of activities and have wonderful techers.

Posted September 27, 2007

Personaly I just started going here and I love it! All of my teachers are nice and they have a really good way of teaching like Mr. Fontana who just started teaching here at OHS. He teaches Spanish and has a really fun way of teaching it. And Mrs. Von-Tilius is the best math teacher she breaks everything down and explains it. I LOVE OHS! Class of 2011 rules

Posted August 9, 2007

After leaving this school, I was very sad because the cherry creek district is my favoirte. At this school they offer so many classes to students, that even go up to A.P. (Advanced Placement). The teachers are awesome, and the school is big for its size. There are so many activites that the schoold does, no one gets left out. There are a varity of people here, and such spirit comes alive here, and there is always FUN involved in Overland, even if your just in class. Any school in the cherry creek district is great, they are the best, that I have liked after attending denver, and aurora public schools, because the cherry creek district is nothing like the rest! You will enjoy this school, trust me!

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students26%

Students without disabilities40%
Proficient in English43%
Neither migrant nor immigrant38%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options