Aurora, CO
Students enrolled: 2,248

Posted April 24, 2014
As a graduating senior this year, I am incredibly fond of Overland and all that it has given me in the past four years. When I came in as a freshman, the school resembled a jail, but now it is truly something to be proud of. Overland has come a long way. Our athletics, while not perfect, have improved tremendously, as well as our performing arts department. Overland has a very caring, spirited, and warm community that has taught me about the beauty and importance of diversity. in the past couple of years I have met and befriended people from all over the world/country, and I honestly would not want it any other way. Of course, Overland is not perfect, but if one takes the opportunities the school offers, they will benefit from doing so. Going to Overland has been a marvelous experience, through my hard work at this school I was able to be accepted into all of the universities I applied to. Among these are University of Colorado at Boulder. I will be attending NYU, but I know of quite a few students in my class that will be attending schools like MIT, Brown, Purdue and other prestigious universities. This school is truly unique and deserves much more credit than it is given.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 08, 2011
I currently attend Overland as a 10th grader and I love it! All the people who are complaing about the school are mostly parents and dont attend the school so they dont know what goes on inside the school. The school hires some of the best of the best teachers who truly care about the students and push us to do our best. It has greatly improved form what it was and continues to improve. The school is so diverse that meet someone new everyday and I really enjoy that. So stop complaining about Overland because EVERY SCHOOL HAS ITS PROBLEMS AND NOT EVERY SCHOOL IS PERFECT SO STOP! Overland is great.

Overland High School 3

Posted November 13, 2011
Overland is a pretty good high school. I am a freshman that attended Campus Middle school and i tried to choice into Cherry Creek High School but i didn't get in. I love all of my teachers but the classes are easy. The staff is great but I hate the principal. He is messing up the school. He hired a teacher to teach both band and orchestra and the teacher has no marching experience. He has worked the band into our lunch period and even worked us through lunch on a saturday rehersal with two 60 second water breaks and made us march in the sun. The musical arts at overland at very bad and have no hope of getting better until the band teacher is replaced and the principal learns how to hire a good teacher. About 90% of the band feels this way. I do find it very offensive to classify the students of Overland as thieving drop outs.

Posted November 05, 2011
I too was partially dismayed by things I had heard about Overland High School while my son was a student at Prairie Middle School. But, I did my research on the students and staff; and I found Overland to have a caring, supportive, diverse environment with no cliques and great teachers! The new STEM institue is wonderful, and it is an invaluable addition to the area. I'm sorry to hear about the alleged break-ins to cars of surrounding residents; however, I think it is unfair and inaccurate to classify 70% of our students as ungrateful, thieving dropouts. That is so far from the truth! I live right up the street from Overland, I have had no problems. Please do not take the word of a post that is littered with misspellings and bad punctuation. The new principal is great; and he has all but eliminated the smoke pit by 7-11(which, by the way, is NOT located on school property). My son is now a sophomore at Overland. He loves the school, the teachers, and the environment. He is doing great academically and athletically, and the students ARE held accountable for their actions! We do need more parent involvement.

Posted October 28, 2011
i live in apartments behind the school, on a dayly bassis there is someone that has had there car or truch broken into and stolen from including 2 times myself, its hard to tell who it was concidering the hordes of kids that walk through here and dont live here, overland is filled with about 70% ungreatfull theaving dropouts and 30% of kids who actualy care. when this issue was addressed to the school they simply said "they need to get home some how" so heres our new solution, there are no truspassing signs around the complex, so from now on when students pass through the complex they will be detained whall law enforcement arives to issue summons.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 17, 2011
This school is not a good surrounding. You see a thousand kids smoking by the popular ditch by 711. Not good , bad school, bad influences.

Posted October 05, 2011
I love this school it is a great school and it has vary awsome teachers and I love all the teachers that work there

Overland High School 4

Posted September 11, 2011
I am a freshman at Overland this year and i highly enjoy it. I came onto this website and saw all the terrible reviews and tried to choice into schools. I am so glad i did not go to another school. Overland in the past has not been the best school but i think the principal is taking a good new approach and trying to bring the school back. My teachers are caring and help me with my work and answer all my questions. At overland we are like family. Thats what makes the experience so much better. I am so proud to be an overland blazer. Class Of 2015!!!!!:)

Posted July 22, 2011
I work in various high schools in the metro area. Cherry Creek Schools are good schools and the teachers are held to high expectations. Overland has more economic challenges then more affluent neighborhoods so personally I feel that these teachers are some of the best in the state of Colorado. My daughter comes home and talks about how amazing her teachers are and I will forever be grateful for their dedication to her.

Posted December 15, 2010
I would never recommend anyone to attend Overland. I'm a current student, and it's horrible. I filled out my school-of-choice forms as soon as they were available. Teachers don't care, and students are allowed to do whatever they please. I sat in my math teacher's classroom to work on a test that I had missed due to being sick, this was an Algebra 1 class with Juniors, Sophomores and Freshman in it; I heard the "N," word a good fifty times if not more. It's literally two different schools, a majority of about 60% who could care less and 40% who actually care. Hopefully with the direction of the new principal it'll turn around. But it's highly unlikely.

Overland High School
12400 East Jewell Ave, Aurora, CO  80012
Last modified Overland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Overland High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top