Public charter
Aurora, CO

Posted January 23, 2015
AXL has definitely gone through, and is continuing to go through, some transitions from when it first opened. However, my children have been at AXL for 5 years now and I wouldn t want them to go anywhere else. I think the thing that makes the most difference to a child s education no matter what their ability is, is feeling understood and cared about by the teacher. When they feel that connection, it makes them want to put forth extra effort and try their best. AXL definitely achieves that. Another thing I love is that AXL s code of character is just as important as the academic side. Of course, no school is perfect. But to me, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I feel very privileged to have my kids attending this free charter and am grateful to have the CHOICE!
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 23, 2015
Like the previous reviews AXL has had some bumps in the 4 years we have been there. This year many changes have been made and it really feels like a family. I am glad I chose to keep my boys here. Brent has really stepped up and watching the staff fight for our kids has been amazing! Tracie has done an outstanding job in her new role increasing communication! It is true that AXL does not have certain things that bigger schools have such as, a gym and a library, but they also have many things that you won't find at those bigger schools like single gendered classrooms (much less drama especially for the middle school kids) and they are able to learn in gender specific direction that has been proven to be more effective, uniforms, field work. When I drop off my children (6th grader and kinder) ALL the staff and teachers know ALL the children by name. My niece recently left due to a move and is now in a cherry creek middle school where she is so bored. It truly takes a village to raise a well rounded child and we have found that at AXL. I urge you if you are looking for a school where education and values are top priorities give AXL a chance.
2 people found this helpful

Axl Academy 4

Posted December 18, 2014
I really love the work my son as being doing with a teacher by the name of Mrs. Anderson his behavior has been out of this world. Before my son started at Axl Academy he was not focus at school at all but since he started working with Mrs. Anderson he can't wait to get to school and work with her. Thank you Mrs. Anderson and thank you Axl. We need more teachers like Mrs. Anderson.

Axl Academy 3

Posted September 28, 2014
I attended AXL Academy when it first started in 2008. In the begging it was an excellent school. I am now in highschool and I am reflecting on the school. The education is excellent. I learned topics well above my grade level. The community was amazing! The staff and several scholars have shaped me to be prepared for what ls next, BUT there is a lot of room for improvement at AXL. The loss of great teachers over the years effected my class. In our 8th grade year we had 6 teachers that left our middle school. We don't have lockers or a gym and our playground was parking lot. I believe AXL can strive into a better school if they get third act together.

Axl Academy 1

Posted September 10, 2014
Thumbs down. The school is way to small, horrible teachers, no gym, no nothing. And I feel really bad about the middle schoolers. Seriously? No lockers, no library, and as I said, no gym. I know this is a K-8 school, but seriously you guys need to work on your school, and make a better playground. The playground is A PARKING LOT. Seriously? I've attended this school for 6 years. 6 years! And I decided not to pass into the middle part of the school. If they at least had 2 of the things I mentioned above, then I would've considered even thinking about going back. WORK ON THE SCHOOL IT NEEDS IMPROVING

Axl Academy 1

Posted April 21, 2014
First year at AXL with elementary and middle students.Wish I read the comments before I enrolled. Curriculum OUTSTANDING. Faculty HORRIBLE. Nice but their lack of competency is so bad it out ways the great curriculum. Teachers, counselors, directors and principle make up rules as they go. Unwritten rules are unfair to the kids. When caught in a lie make every excuse possible, more concerned with justifying their wrong than fixing their mistake. Do exactly what they tell kids not to do; no integrity or ownership. Lost great teacher this year. STEP program is a joke; it s not fair and not effective at all. Scholar dollars program wonderful concept but terribly managed by some. No gym. The playground is a parking lot. Young inexperienced teachers w/ no kids themselves coupled with overcrowded classes spells disaster. Need more parent/grandparent teachers? My kids perform well academically. Feel sorry for kids with any challenges because this school is EXTREMELY petty. My standards are too high for this AXL faculty and it starts at the top (principle - teachers), it is so bad you really wish someone from Candid Camera came out and relived you of this bad joke. Retraining required.

Axl Academy 2

Posted April 13, 2014
One word. Joke - Poor location, inadequate teachers and staff and ready to pull after this year.

Posted April 02, 2014
Great PK-8 school for kids in Aurora. Excellent teachers. All really care about our kids. So much better than our local elementary school and middle school.

Posted March 23, 2014
Love this place! My kid is flourishing here! Great teachers and an awesome program. Love our teacher and the kids in our class. We have become great friends with parents of kids in our class. We are extremely happy there.

Axl Academy 4

Posted November 04, 2013
Axl has an expeditionary way of learning, which is great for most kiddos. They have uniforms which is great to be seen as the person not brand names of clothing. Healthy eating strongly encouraged however the hot lunches are something to be desired taste and cost wise. They have small classes from preschool to 8th that helps so much with the one on one attention they need. Not a whole lot of coed classes so therefore they can concentrate on school work. I Dislike that there is no music, nor field for kids to play, nor gym classes but with clubs hoping the students get what they need there. Come the end of the year the lack of staff retention, hoping the glitch there gets worked out because there have been some pretty awesome teachers in there that have left after only a year some not even lasting that long.

Axl Academy
14100 East Jewell Ave, Aurora, CO  80012
Last modified Axl Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Axl Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top