Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

There was never a day that I felt safe at East Middle School. This school is run by the students. Students do whatever they want, talk back to teachers, call teachers names, throw things at the teachers, use their cellphones in class, trash school property….the list goes on. This school has up to 11 fights in one day, stacks of daily referrals, and a classroom that is full of those that are suspended for the week. If you are a kid who listens to the teacher and does your work and actually is eager to learn - this is not the place for you. Not only a poor communicator, Principal, Biaze Houston is an inept leader. She and her administrators are always in a meeting. They have limited knowledge of what is actually going on in the school. Teachers, who are already overloaded, are required to sub for teachers who are absent, while there are several administrators sitting around in some “important” meeting. Despite all of these meetings, conditions at East Middle School continue to get worse. What do Ms. Houston and her team of meeting-loving administrators plan to do moving forward?

Develops character: Disagree

I talk to the teachers about the noise level in classes, where kids are being bullied while the teacher is in the room. Yet they seem to be neutral to it, like as if they have given up. Teachers are concerned about my daughter and her attentiveness in class, which is a problem, but there can be better tutoring available.

Students are out of control here. Seems the teachers are not able to keep them focused. Too many kids who belong to families who are limited on the English language, causing a huge learning curve. Music and art is minimal. Teachers and staff are nice, but hands seem to be tied.

As a teacher working here at East, this school is a mess. It's huge, unorganized, and chaotic. We have some good people here who are trying to do some good things, but not enough of them. Neither teachers nor students receive the help/support they need. Despite the fact that we are an MYP school, it often feels like babysitting rather than "preparing them for college"

East has gotten better over the years but it still has some problems. Most of the problems could be put to a stop if the teachers/staff were a little more strict. Some of these teachers are not here to do their job and others don't get the support to do so. I have never been to a school concert or activity because this school is very poor at parent involvement. Overall, this school is okay if your an involved parent with your child.

Some people in this school are caring and mean well, but a couple of the teachers really don't give two hoots if the kids learn anything and this is evident when you observe the low score this school has received.

My son spent 3 years at this place witnessing fights and drug use. Teachers seemed uncaring and apathetic. I hugely regret that I didn't pull him out, circumstances were very difficult at the time. I will always remember the answer I got from a teacher when I asked why homework wasn't given -it would be 'pontless' as students simply wouldn't do it. Horrible place.

East is a great school and I'm happy that I'm able to go to such a great school with amazing teachers that really do care, and I'm sad that this will be my last year here at east. East is a great school

I am a previous student of East Middle School. I attended in my 6th grade year. If things run the way they did when I was there, I think the school is fantastic. The teachers all had a yearning to educate the children, while enforcing the importance of having drive, good morals, & striving to keep grades up. Their teaching mechanisms were creative. Not everything was straight out of a book. Many things were visual and hands on. The quality of education I got was not something I appreciated at that age, but now I still look back to this age and things I was taught for personal reference. Both in skill for work, parenting, referring back to values and morals I was taught. Educating children is tough work, and I really feel the teachers I had at this school were brilliant and put their heart into it. I was in the west wing, which was for more advanced students. The idea of separating the children based on their own individual speed of learning is brilliant. No child was left behind or forgotten. This allowed for every student to learn at the pace of which they are most comfortable.

This school has educated my child in nothing but violence and a lack of drive. I am so disappointed that I allowed my daughter to be subjected to that kind of experience. Thus the main reason my husband and I are now looking for a new school for her this upcoming year.

Last modified East Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.