Boulder, CO
Students enrolled: 2,073

Fairview High School 2

Posted October 22, 2014
My child has been at this school for 2 years, has a very high GPA, takes IB/AP classes, has many friends, is in sports, all kinds of clubs and is very involved and motivated in general. student likes FHS mainly because friends go there and excels in spite of many obstacles, culture and challenges at this school. experience has been that the school climate in general is not so great. Very competitive, lack of transparency- e.g., for some club/activity selection seems to be arbitrarily exclusive, without transparency, and no due process. Teachers and counselors are overloaded, don't respond to emails or messages, and students and parents have to be very persistent to get an answer which leads to perception that lack of accountability, time or not caring or some combo. staff don't admit mistakes or like to be challenged, blame stuents .Students don't have much time to be persistent due to heavy load so concerns are dropped. Have second guessed selecting FHS, others say diff h.s. in the area get to know their students. school prepares for life because it's ruthless, not fair. good news is, if survive, can handle most anything. mostly school highly rated bc of high potential students

Fairview High School 2

Posted February 11, 2014
Great School, but I feel as though their are schools with better environments and programs in this district.

Posted September 19, 2013
I am so glad that I went to this school. It was an amazing experience and prepared me very well for college. I am currently an elementary school teacher in a different district and wish that lived in Boulder so my kids could attend this school. Fairview's teachers were always encouraging me to follow my dreams and worked tirelessly to make sure I understood the curriculum. The choir program was outstanding and extremely fun to be a part of. I would not change my high school experience for anything. If you are looking for a great, high performing school with many different activities, clubs and classes then Fairview is a great choice.

Fairview High School 3

Posted February 03, 2013
Fairview is interested in their sports programs and only students who fit their mold. The administration want kids who don't rock the boat and toe the line. Their counselors with a few exceptions are under motivated and not creative. Fairview has some really incredible teachers who are working against an administration that only seems to care about performance and not students. So if your student has no issues, loves homework and is just another face in the crowd they will do fine. If your student questions things, is an alternative learner and wants to have any social interaction with people not into their clique, then another school might be a better fit.

Fairview High School 1

Posted November 14, 2012
I remember this school. The things that I experienced were quite surprising. As I recall they would take note of the students that had the lowest performance rates on a list... then slowly they would go through the list and encourage the student to drop out or to transfer to different schools. I assume this was to keep the ranking of the school up? I don't really know, and that practice might have changed by now. The teachers that attempted to help these students to succeed were many times overwrought with difficulty and resistance. There also seemed to be a major lack of communication across the system and intense focus in only specific areas. The building is also badly constructed for mental health as there is little natural sunlight and the shape is hive like. Many of the teachers also seemed to be overloaded with work and so students were not properly attended to. The lack of diversity is also a bit disconcerting. So, from the perspective of an alternative learner I would really suggest going somewhere else.

Fairview High School 1

Posted June 21, 2012
I went to Fairview for a year and transferred to nearby Centaurus High in May of that year, and I was floored at how incredible the difference was. At Fairview I felt like I was always working and like I was always being judged from every direction. The theatre and music departments especially were almost cruel in their ruthlessness. When I transferred I realized that the work I'd been doing at FHS was essentially busywork, and that I could learn just as well without the sadistic workload administered by FHS staff. Now in the CHS IB Programme, I can assure you that if you are eager to learn, you should come to Centaurus rather than to Fairview. The teachers there actually care and are willing to help students learn without assigning them hours upon hours of busywork, and CHS IB kids get more 1-on-1 attention because while FHS is simply too big for such rigor, Centaurus IB classes hover around 20 students. The IB test results and a 95% success rate at CHS demonstrate this perfectly. Please, if you want to do IB, don't let the test scores fool you. As a former student, I know that this school is not for kids who enjoy learning and achieving. It is a school for kids who enjoy working.

Fairview High School 3

Posted February 21, 2011
As a sophomore who attends FHS, I have a very different perspective from many of the parents whose kids attend Fairview. What you should know right off the bat is that Fairview is a VERY competitive school. The work is difficult if you are in Pre-IB/AP/IB classes. The IB Diploma is an insane amount of work, basically you don't have a life outside of school. Although the IB Diploma is good, it doesn't do much for you unless you are going to college out of the country or are planning to be in the very top of your class and attend an Ivy League School. I do not take part in any sports but I know for a fact that many of them are good. The teacher at Fairview from very good to good to very bad.The Social Studies department has some phenomenal teachers, especially Pre-IB teachers. The music department is also very very good. In my opinion the best in the district, if not the state. The bottom line is if you are willing to work your butt off and are willing to learn then Fairview is the perfect school for you.

Fairview High School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
Fairview High School has a dedicated stuff of teachers, counselors, and administrators who really care about our students, and they push our kids to succeed.

Posted August 04, 2010
Fairview is a great school for people with any strengths and interests. The athletic program is very strong and wins, even in the 5A division (the largest high school division)- in the past year, the football team made the state Final Four, the boys' basketball team made the state finals, and both the ultimate frisbee and girls' soccer teams won their respective state championships. Many other teams made other levels in the playoffs. The fine arts department is exceptional- the advanced choirs are well known. The academic program is clearly well ahead of almost all other public high schools- the test scores from Fairview are very high (SAT, ACT, PSAT, CSAP, AP, IB, etc.) and many seniors each year are accepted into top universities. IB is a challenging, rigorous program. Student Council, Knight Crew, and NHS develop leadership.

Posted March 30, 2010
Fairview High School provided me with exellent academics, incredible athletics, and an outstanding fine arts program. I felt independent to choose my own path for my future but knew that any path I would be guided by the fantastic academics of Fairview High School.

Fairview High School
1515 Greenbriar Blvd, Boulder, CO  80305
Last modified Fairview High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fairview High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top