Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The long-standing principal at Flatirons is dedicated and a thoughtful administrator.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Flatirons is a school that focuses on the whole child in preparation for life, not just tests.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Most of the teachers are wonderful and really care about the students. There is a good focus on continual professional development.

Amount of homework: Agree

Not too much in the early grades so that young students are not overwhelmed and put off from learning.

We have been part of this school for 5+ years now and are quite happy. The environment is warm, friendly, and academically progressive and balanced with respect to the many needs of children. But I sincerely hope that everybody takes websites like this with a huge grain of salt. The only true way to evaluate a school is to visit the school, speak with parents, teachers and the principal and see if the school seems like a match to the education goals for your children. Flatirons is not perfect but it delivers on what it sets out to achieve. If you want a singular focus on academics or alternative education, try a private school. But if you ask any of the middle schools that receive Flatirons graduates, they will all agree that Flatirons students are well prepared for the next level.

My two kids have been open enrolled at Flatirons for 3 years now and absolutely love it. We love that it's small and intimate. It's a very supportive community with strong PTO and parent support. I have one child with special needs and the services for him have been excellent. I have felt the staff has gone above and beyond to support my kids in many different ways.

We have two children at Flatirons. We decided to try it out since it was our neighborhood school, though we had the ability to open enroll elsewhere or go private. It has been a blessing in so many unexpected ways. First of all, it is rare to have a small school like Flatirons--two classes per grade. My children do not have to deal with social repositioning every year, because we know all the kids. They are a tight-knit group. This allows for more focus on education. Second, the parent network is incredible. If I can't make it in time to pick up, I have at least five parents who I know will be at pickup, watching out for my kid. We have an amazing PTO. Our fundraising is top notch for a school this size. Third: teachers. I want to address some of the other reviewers' comments about teachers at Flatirons. Yes, there are some who were not my favorites. However, this will happen anywhere. The thing about Flatirons is that the administration is supportive and will help you get what you need for your child. We have had eight years of teachers at the school, and the vast majority were exceptional. When you are at a parent-teacher conference and the teacher looks at your kid's work with almost parental pride, you know your kid is in the right place. The music program is extraordinary as well. Fourth: the Innovative Learning Lab, which just opened is a gem. This goes along with our teachers' training in Project Based Learning. Kids are constantly challenged to learn in ways that will make them capable as adults. We aren't just training test-takers like some of the schools in the district. I'm so happy my kids have a chance to learn in a such a wonderful environment.

We just finished our first year at Flatirons and were very happy with the school and their programs. I am surprised to see low ratings at this school because I feel like it has great class sizes and a wonderful community of parents, teachers and a principal that go out of their way to provide a caring and productive learning environment for the kids.

There are a few good teachers at this school and then some very poor teachers who even after more training could re-think their career paths. Tenure for teachers is not always a good thing for the students. We are finding third grade to be particularly of a low standard and disappointing. The neighborhood is charming and the PTO is diligent, well funded and work very hard. The principle loves the kids, but isn't always making the right choices for them in terms of teachers. He has a reputation for over promising and under-delivering. We are hoping to open enrolling into another school, as others have done also.

This school has the makings of a real gem and could be with just a bit more input into hiring of teachers with more skills and dedication. If you don't care about academics or strong foundational skills you will probably be fine here. The principle is kind with a strong work ethic and wants every child to succeed but he has a reputation for promising more than he can deliver and backing teachers who are really under performing. The school is proud of it's long serving staff i.e para's etc people who are meant to be dedicated, we found some of them to be more dedicated to the cliquy environment and status quo of barely good enough. The teaching atmosphere seems to be one of just get to the end of the year and where they are just getting by. Exceptions are the excellent music teacher and some teachers in 1st, 4th, 5th G. But these better teachers are the exception rather that the rule. Even the front desk admin is spotty, sometimes nice, often not. If you have a child with any special need, do not consider this school in the year this review is written or the next- unless things turn around dramatically. The PTO are strong fundraisers but could look at educational consistency.

Last modified Flatirons Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.