No rating

Mountain Shadows Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 90 students

Living in Boulder

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Sweep tile

Posted March 7, 2014

My two children spent a total of 16 years at Mountain Shadows Montessori. It is the best gift we have ever given them and will last a lifetime. My kids are completely different in about every way and MSMS was perfect for both. One is now thriving in college and one is the top of her class at a public high school. They are both self driven, curious, independent and capable thanks to the all inclusive, well rounded education of a true Monetessori school. Mountain Shadows is the only AMI accredited Montessori school in Colorado and we were blessed to be able to send our children there. Speaking with public school teachers has reaffirmed our decision, as every one of them values the students that come from a Montessori background and finds those students to be self-driven and rewarding to have in class! I recommend MSMS to anyone who values education and wants their children to thrive not only now, but their whole lives! My kids HATED missing school and loved every day at Mountain Shadows!

Posted November 19, 2013

MSMS is a true Montessori school. I am a mother and a teacher of this school. We moved from Utah just to be at this school. All the teachers and staff are passionate about the Montessori method and the children. I highly recommend this school to all who are interested in preparing their children for life. If you want your child to love learning and to become a positive leader in their life and community, this school will certainly aid in that development.

Posted November 19, 2013

As an AMS certified teacher, I was not initially impressed by AMI certification. In Mountain Shadows' case, it means that staff, administration, and board members adhere to the highest standards of professionalism. They truly care about education and children, and it shows. I am proud to be part of their staff.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 19, 2013

My niece has been enrolled in the Mountain Shadows Montessori School Primary Program and she loves it. Her teacher has over 20 years of experience and is very knowledgeable in AMI Montessori education. In fact all of the teachers at MSMS are amazing, all having been through the rigors of AMI training. They are all wonderful people too. My niece, who is a shy young lady, skips in to school most mornings, in anticipation of the wonderful things she is going to do and learn. I'm hoping my brother-in-law and sister-in- law decide to send her to the Elementary program at MSMS! I often say I wish I had attended a Montessori school like Mountain Shadows when I was young. I'm sure it would have changed my whole perspective on learning and education. I would highly recommend sending your children to MSMS. It is truly a worthy investment for your child's future.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 7, 2013

My two children have gone there (one is still there) and the entire program is great. The toddler program was an amazing experience for my son who became a responsible, empowered (and toilet-trained) boy within months of starting the program. The primary classroom helped my daughter get into maths and reading well ahead of her friends who were in day care and the elementary program is strong. The school has had some issues with past administrations, but the current HOS and staff are top notch and have helped the school grow impressively over the past few years after a drop the prior years.

Posted November 7, 2013

As the only AMI-certified Montessori school in Colorado, I moved to its Boulder location to enroll my son because I was assured it adhered to the highest standards of training, teaching, and delivery of the Montessori ideals that just can't be found in other Montessori-themed schools. The emphasis on learning that evolves at the proper developmental pace of the child means my son will grow up to be a critical and independent thinker that can succeed after-school, in the *real* world. It educates with the end goal in mind - a person who can pursue their best work in harmony with the world they enter. Schooling at Montessori is about life skills - not just wrangling tests to get into the "best" college. Check out Mountain Shadows - the finest school of its kind in Colorado with the best teachers in the finest setting for learning - you will wish you were starting all over again at this place!

Posted November 7, 2013

Terrific school, true Montessori. Both my kids attended from kindergarden age through 6th grade. They did great after that. Would recommend to anyone..

Posted September 23, 2013

It has great strengths with curriculum and serious weaknesses in governance and enrollment. Much of the philosophy is beautifully child centered and supported by research but there are also negatives--rigid, ideological, and closed.

Posted August 25, 2012

There is no doubt there have been problems in administration the last couple years, but what a school requires to be truly great, is a passionate commitment to the education, environment and community they are creating, and that is what I feel when I walk into Mountain Shadows. The future is always uncertain isn't it, and as much as we want any school to have a perfect resume, every resilient institution has its ups and downs. The bottom line is, are the teachers caring and conscientious, are the students happy and successful, do they look forward to learning? So far, my answer is yes.

Posted November 29, 2011

We just moved to Boulder last year and our 3rd grade son attends Mountain Shadows Montessori. He has been involved with various Montessori schools in the past but it wasn't until we started at Mountain Shadows that we learned what a true Montessori school is supposed to be like. Our son has always had a natural curiosity and the teachers at Mountain Shadows have done an amazing job of bringing that curiosity out and helping him learn how to harness that energy and convert it into academic pursuits! Another thing we have been extremely pleased with is the Mountain Shadows parent community and the sense of family that pervades the school. For anyone in the Boulder area we highly recommend Mountain Shadows for your elementary age children (and primary) If you are not in the Boulder area we would suggest you look for a Montessori School like Mountain Shadows that is AMI certified.

Posted November 11, 2011

This is our 7th year at Mountain Shadows; both of our children have attended Mountain Shadows since they were 3 years old. Our children are excited about going to school everyday because they are respected, love learning and are engaged in purposeful and meaningful activities. We love this school.

Posted October 21, 2011

Our daughter goes to Mountain Shadows Montessori and now our son will start in the new toddler program. The teachers are amazing - and the campus is beautiful. We couldn't be happier with our experience!

Posted March 9, 2010

My son had a great experience and has blossomed in a way that couldn't have happened in a public or traditional school.

Posted June 19, 2009

ithink MSMS(Mountian Shadows Montessori school)is a great place to biuld confedence & character
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 27, 2009

My grandchildren both go to this school. It is wonderful! They love their teachers, and learn so much. I am more than glad to pay their tuition so that they can attend Mouontain Shadows Montessori School.

Posted May 22, 2009

Mountain Shadows is the perfect school. We have 2 little ones there now. I am confident that my children are receiving the best education they could possibly get. I recommend this school to everyone. You will be amazed at the quality of people and education they provide.

Posted December 4, 2008

Our children have done very well at Mtn. Shadows. They are very different from one another in their interests and strengths and the environment in the classroom gives them the opportunity to learn at their own pace, whether it be fast or slow. The teachers are remarkable and are very accessible and are quick to address any concerns or issues. This is a great environment to nurture independence, confidence and creativity from Primary all the way through Upper Elementary.

Posted December 4, 2008

Both of my children are thriving at Mountain Shadows. My oldest has been there for 4 years and my youngest for 2 years. It is a nice feeling when your children look forward to going to school each day. It is obvious to me that the teachers and administration take their jobs to heart and are passionate about teaching the Montessori method. Stephanie Velasco

Posted December 4, 2008

My daughter has enjoyed her time at Mtn. Shadows. She's made great friends and really enjoys her teacher and her lessons.

Posted October 10, 2008

Our nephew did not enjoy the school at all, and after finding out why several parents pulled their kids out of the school after a yr or even less, our concern is validated that this is simply not a positive and safe environment for small children - rigid and cold and they seem to attribute it to AMI principles. I am and have known several montessori teachers who absolutely say otherwise.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • AMI
Fax number
  • (303) 530-5230

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori