Boulder, CO

Posted May 20, 2015
Our daughter has spent the last year in Bixby's preschool program and we are so happy that she is continuing on into their Kindergarten program this coming Fall. I have never seen so many creative and caring people in one place. When I ask my daughter who her favorite teacher is, she names them all. All of their activities use a hands on approach and you can just see the creativity exploding from your child's imagination through their art work and play. I also love that she has swimming two times a week and a wonderful music program. She was in a school concert and a school musical this year. Bravo Bixby!

Posted May 13, 2015
We moved to Bixby after 3 years at a public charter school. The charter school was good....Bixby is great! The small class sizes can't be beat. This allows so much hands-on learning, they're never bored and each of my kiddos has been met where they're at and challenged to learn more. They've also thriving with the independence with a middle-school like model of content area specialist teachers, moving between classes, electives for 4th & 5th, managing free time, etc. They're learning to be deep, critical thinkers. The delicious lunches, awesome lower yard and swimming are the icing on the cake.

Posted May 06, 2015
I moved my son to Bixby in the middle of 2nd grade. He's a really bright kid, but was bored and unmotivated in public school. He became withdrawn and sad. He hated school and was getting sick every morning. After just a week at Bixby he was up every morning and ready to go. He loved the small classes and supportive teachers. He developed trust with them quickly and became an active participant in class discussions. He thrived in the project-based learning approach. The teachers encouraged him and asked him mind-bending questions. This was something my son really jived with. They saw the potential in his curious nature and inquisitive mind and helped propel him forward. He's now getting ready to graduate. The biggest benefit of Bixby? My kid loves school and he loves learning. He knows how he learns best. He knows his creativity and inquisitiveness is one of his biggest strengths. He knows who he is and is proud of what he can do. I know he's going to be just fine, wherever his educational journey takes him because his foundation is so strong. Thank you Bixby!

Bixby School 1

Posted March 22, 2015
The administrators consistently distract parents from their concerns, rather than address them. We have been continually and consistently lied to by the adminstrators. If I could give zero stars, I would. After an administrator inappropriately shared confidential information with the school district (our funding agency), she then lied and said that the school district told her the document would be shredded and not appear in our child's records. Guess what showed up in our child's IEP at the next meeting? This school may have been great once, but those days were over years and years ago.

Posted November 20, 2014
We enrolled our daughter at Bixby after seeing her struggle with the larger classes of BVSD. The teachers were wonderful at drawing her into the new group of students and in no time she had made Bixby her school. It's been three years now and we can't say how happy we are we found this school. Our understanding is that they are teaching to the whole child and not just to a curriculum, our daughter is learning to problem solve and think for herself. We love it.

Bixby School 1

Posted October 28, 2014
Bixby has no written curriculum, and it shows in the classes. Teachers make it up on the spot, some manage this better than others. There are a few good teachers, but most have no understanding of how to engage with children. Teaching is outdated, with no multi-sensory methods. There is too much talking by the teachers, to very bored students, out of their minds trying to sit still. Much of class time is wasted on discipline. Even with very small class sizes, the teachers cannot manage the students, and EVERY day you hear teachers screaming at the kids. They even have a "naughty" chair in the gym/cafeteria. Teachers and administrators are unnecessarily harsh. If your kid can learn on their own, and remain oblivious to the chaos around them, they will do fine here. If they need a supportive environment, I would look elsewhere.

Posted May 30, 2014
Bixby preschool has an excellent play-based learning model with loving and compassionate staff. My children have learned science, math, reading and writing skills without spending anytime at a desk. The playground, swimming pool, music and gym programs round out the child's experience and allow for fewer extra curricular activities to shuttle your kiddos (to). The lunches prepared on site by chef Mary are amazing. With before and after-school care, as well as excellent summer programs, Bixby is the best choice in town for working parents.

Bixby School 2

Posted May 16, 2014
The upper grades at this school are thriving, but one can't help but notice the declining enrollment in the early elementary years. The funding gap this creates is noticeable. The facilities are in decline and the learning environment (split into many small classrooms, sometimes divided only by curtains or cubicle walls) feels disorganized. The school does have a niche in providing knowledgable emotional support for 2E kids. But, the environment itself seems counter to what most 2E kids need.

Bixby School 3

Posted April 20, 2014
I've really enjoyed seeing my son thrive at Bixby School. He enjoys all the small group setting, the independent time his schedule allows and time with friends, playing outside. He has struggled with the number of classes and transitions that are part of daily life at Bixby for 1st - 5th graders. Some teachers, as in all schools, are more experienced in the classroom. It seems difficult, with the frenetic setting, for teachers to manage the ever changing tide of children that they see throughout the day. It becomes a bit catch-as-catch-can without forethought into curriculum day to day. I do so appreciate the small group setting for each class, but after some time I can see where the model doesn't work for all children. He misses having a single classroom and one main teacher. We don't want to take him away from friends, but are considering moving due to the drawbacks of this model.

Posted January 21, 2014
We are very impressed with the school. Our kids are in the Preschool program and they LOVE going to school. The teachers are awesome and sensitive to the child s needs. They focus on developing the child s personality in areas where the child really need help. The biggest difference between this school and others we have been at is that the teachers really understand your child and work on addressing their needs. The preschool director is very involved in the day to day activities and has been very receptive to our needs. Overall, we just love this school!

Bixby School