PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

I'm not sure how they do it, but the staff at Bixby really know how to address individual learning styles for every student. Our child loves Bixby, as do we. As a parent, one thing I appreciate about Bixby is that it is not a hoity-toity school. I have no idea of the economic status of other families, but we are middle class and do not feel that we are outsiders. I did get that feeling when looking at other private schools in Boulder.

This community is a rare find! The teachers are absolutely amazing. Children are academically challenged and nurtured in their social and emotional development. The community is welcoming and engaged and truly wonderful. My son joined in third grade and the teachers and community at Bixby has gone out of their way to welcome him and help with this transition. My son's love for learning had started to disappear in our large class neighborhood school and he said the other night "At Bixby the teachers really, really care and the adults like children and I love learning and making friends there!". We are so delighted to have found this school and it is one of the few schools that truly understands the value of social development and individualized instruction. After 20 years in education research is can whole heartedly recommend this school!

Amount of homework: Agree

No homework in K-3 grade, which is exactly right! Young kids should be playing, socializing and finding their passions in their free time, not doing worksheets simply for the purpose of getting them used to homework.

My kids thrive at Bixby! My daughter started at Bixby just this year in 3rd grade. As a quick learner, she was constantly bored in her 25-30 child classrooms at our neighborhood public school where standardized testing culture forced teachers to focus on the slower learners. She wasn't even 8, but was already seeing recess as her one opportunity for fun and creativity during the school day. Bixby has changed all of that! She comes home now excited about what she has learned and accomplished in her classes. She is seeking out academic challenges for the first time in years and she is developing the persistence and resilience she will need throughout her life. My son was fortunate to start Bixby in his last year of preschool. It's an amazing program that focuses on fostering independence and social and emotional development through play. He went through Bixby's Kindergarten program a year early and is now in 1st grade. His social and emotional growth at Bixby has been astounding, in large part because Bixby teachers focus on this important aspect of development as much as they focus on the academics. Both of my kids are thriving and developing into compassionate, passionate learners. Bixby gives kids the cognitive, social and emotional skills they need to succeed not just in their education, but in life. This is what elementary education should be.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There are over 100 children at Bixby, each with their own learning style. The teachers at Bixby meet each of these children where they are and help them become the best version of themselves. This is not just effective, but exceptional!!

Amount of homework: Agree

Because the classroom size is small at Bixby, the teachers are able to help the children truly master concepts during class time. Therefore, there is little need for kids at Bixby to struggle with worksheets and meaningless repetition at home; any homework given is meaningful and appropriate. Once the time is taken-- as it is at Bixby-- to help children truly understand a concept, and feel the joy and satisfaction that comes with that, there is little need to memorize and test children over and over.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Bixby's entire mission is to cultivate honesty, integrity and fairness. When you step into the school you see that this is at the heart of everything they do, every day. Bixby makes sure that students take responsibility for themselves and their actions, and the staff actively work to make sure each child has the tools they need to do this. More schools should be this way!

We feel lucky every day that we found Bixby for our preschooler and first grader. Bixby hits it out of the park with academics; because of the true small class size (there are normally 6-7 kids with a teacher at a time) the teachers are actually able to meet each child where they are, and to adapt to each child's learning style- which in turn means your child will actually master and understand what they are learning, rather than memorize it. This has brought out the best in our children, and has made them love going to school every day. It's humbling and amazing to see how well each child is known, understood, and loved at Bixby-- such a different experience than when a teacher has 20+ kids to handle at a time. The true wonder of Bixby though, is the social and emotional intelligence that is cultivated and encouraged in every aspect of the school. Kids learn how to speak constructively to each other and to adults, how to problem solve, understand and address their own feelings and the feelings of others-- in short, how to become caring and responsible citizens. This is something sadly missing from so many curriculums. At our last school there were too many children per teacher, and therefore all that could be done was the bare minimum per child. Bixby is one of the few schools out there that creates the environment you've always wished for for your child. Oh and did I mention they have an awesome before and after school care program? And a play based summer camp? And that these programs are staffed by caring, educated, engaged people?? Our children have simply blossomed at Bixby-- it's difficult to explain the wonderful environment created at this school, you have to see it for yourself!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Group time at Bixby is so powerful. The teachers really build the community of children with regular circle chats, sharing, and photos of kids doing the things that they love. Because the children know each other well, they treat each other well.

I have two daughters who attend Bixby Preschool. They are so happy to push me out the door in the morning and get busy with all of the engaging things in their classroom. I feel such gratitude driving out of the parking lot that my children have such a warm, nurturing, engaging, and fun place to go to school. They love the swimming lessons. They love the dramatic play area. They LOVE the homemade lunches, especially when dessert is served on Fridays. The most special part of the preschool is the teachers. I am also an educator, and I am continuously learning about how to be a better parent and teacher by watching our preschool teachers. They are such a huge resource for us. I love watching their relationship with our kids grow. A few weeks ago one of the teachers sat down with one my daughters one-on-one for quite some time and coached her in how to draw and paint her own self-portrait. I am so amazed at how much personal attention she received, and that portrait is a family treasure. Thank you, Bixby! Thank you for making school and joy synonymous.

Last modified Bixby School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5