Boulder, CO

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 23, 2015
The teachers and administration should be lauded for their commitment to educating their "charges" with respect and kindness. They aren't in the profession for the money, so it must be their love of teaching and for the students. My boy, over his six years there, blossomed; he learned how to speak up, he learned how to manage his time, and he learned how to work with others. He is truly prepared for middle school.

Posted June 23, 2015
Bixby saved my kids. After a number of traumatic events in their lives, the Bixby community took care of them like family. This enabled them to feel safe and secure, so that they could keep learning and growing. Bixby knows that without emotional intelligence, you can't access the academics in the child. On top of that, the quality of education they have received over the last two years has been incredible. They learn differently and have grown in ways I couldn't imagine. Bixby gets my kids.

Posted June 22, 2015
Bixby School is uniquely AMAZING. We transferred our son in 2nd grade. Within a month of him arriving at Bixby, it was clear to us that every single teacher who taught him knew him as a person and a learner better than he had ever been known at his previous school. Whenever we have a question about what he is learning, what we can do to support him and how he is developing as a person (does he treat others well? challenge himself?) we know there is someone who is available and knows our son well enough to answer our questions. At the same time his skills in writing, social studies and math SKYROCKETED - he is challenged and LOVES learning. Instead of feeling like our son had to fit into school, Bixby figures out how school can meet our son where he is. I believe his entire experience of school is forever changed for the better - he simply LOVES school.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 17, 2015
I am constantly saying, I wish I could take many of the classes myself. I had some very special teachers as a child but Bixby teachers take my breath away with their knowledge, respect for children, and ability to meet each child at their jumping off point.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 17, 2015
I have read study after study that shows homework is not only not necessary in elementary school, it is likely detrimental. Bixby students work hard in school and learn without even realizing how much they are learning. The hours they spend in school are enough to learn deeply and well. I have found that the small amount of homework that is assigned is thoughtfully planned to help my kids gain understanding or efficiency rather than simply being torturous busy work. The amount of homework feels very developmentally appropriate to me.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 17, 2015
Bixby students have to think for themselves. They aren't taught to just regurgitate the answers but are encouraged to try to come up with their own ways to find the answers and to test them.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 17, 2015
Kids at Bixby learn to have respect for others and for themselves. Real respect- born out of a willingness to see value in each person.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 17, 2015
This is one of their strongest areas. They do a beautiful job of helping kids develop their empathy.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 17, 2015
Bixby staff and faculty focus deeply on integrity and honesty. They do an amazing job fostering, encouraging, and rewarding students for honesty, integrity, and fairness. They are so aware of how different children learn, and how to help each one grow from where they are.

Posted June 17, 2015
Bixby has been the haven I always dreamed of for my children. The school's model and small class sizes, mean that my children have kept their natural curiosity, learned to think deeply and to love the process of learning, and grown in independence and confidence daily. The teachers are experts in what is developmentally and individually appropriate for each child. When the teachers speak to me about my children, I am always stunned by how deeply they know each of them. My children are seen and appreciated for the individuals they are- their strengths and challenges- by all the adults in the school. What a special way to move through the first years of their school career. They run into school each day full of joy and trust in what awaits them- I couldn't ask for more than that.

4760 Table Mesa Drive, Boulder, CO  80305