Boulder, CO

Posted August 11, 2013
September High School provided a top quality education for my son. Although he scored high on IQ tests, he was failing his courses in public school. He was constantly being penalized, being kept in at lunch and after school, although he wasn't a discipline problem. It turned out he was bored out of his mind. The individualized attention and focus on improving weaknesses while capitalizing on strengths was just what he needed. He is now on the road to medical school, whereas before he was on the road to dropping out of high school. I cannot recommend this school enough.

Posted September 07, 2012
The teenage years can be brutal and high school can be hell if you don t fit in. My student can be herself and excel in her talents and strengths at September High School. She is supported and encouraged to use her ideas and creativity when she writes a paper, does a project, etc. She gets individual attention from teachers, counselors and staff whenever she has a question or concern, whether it is school related or personal. In public school she was negatively challenged and criticized for the way she dressed, the color of her hair and her thinking. She was not recognized for her high g.p.a., attendance or intelligence. At September School not only is she recognized for her academic hard work, she is encouraged to be herself, use all of her talents and continue to think outside of the box. As parents we want her to succeed and be successful in whatever path she chooses and to stay true to herself. At September High School we have that support and she has the mentors and tools she needs to do so.

Posted August 03, 2012
My son graduated from September School June 2012. Before enrolling as a 2nd semester freshman he had attended traditional public schools. In the community that is the September School my son grew from an angry boy to a remarkable young man. This Fall he will attend one of the nation's top schools. I have not doubt Sept school had much to do with his personal growth. The staff and faculty treat students as young adults and a low student/teacher ratio encourages personal relationships between them. This benefits exceptional students as well as those with learning issues, or as was son's case, both. Academic programs are individualized per student. Students can explore subjects of their interest through the honors programs. They may also take classes at Boulder High School and at the University of Colorado (both are a few blocks from the school). My son was able to participate in a athletic program at Boulder High. The school uses several buildings in central Boulder. They are old and show it. The school clearly does not invest much in cosmetics. Instead tuition provides an excellent, caring faculty who provide a unique learning environment for student growth.

Posted June 21, 2012
My daughter has been at Sept School for 2 years. Prior to that she was struggling in the public school system: skipping classes, getting failing grades, and dreading going to school every day. She felt invisible to her teachers, her poor grades were causing her to seriously consider dropping out of school. It was agonizing to watch her going through that experience and we felt helpless. That all changed the day we walked into September School. It was small, homey, and the staff we met with seemed genuinely interested in listening to us. Our daughter immediately felt comfortable there. We walked out of there feeling truly hopeful for the first time in years about her education. Now, 2 years later, we can say this: not all of my daughter's issues with going to school were completely solved (she still struggles with motivation), but many of the big issues were. She really likes the staff, she feels she can be herself there, she attends classes and field trips, she feels like she can speak out, and most importantly, we have no doubt that she will be graduating next semester. I'm not surprised that they have such a high graduation & continuing education rate.

Posted May 24, 2012
My son attends September School, and I am very pleased with the education he is receiving. Previously, he attended a Boulder public school, but he hated the environment. Since switching to September School, he has been happier and continues to perform at his best academically. He no longer complains about teachers and school. I admire the dedication of the teachers and staff, and my son appreciates the egalitarian teaching style. I agree with the parent (October 3, 2009) who stated, This is the best school for creative students and those who care about justice and freedom of expression. As for the comments posted March 6, 2012, they are misrepresentations. I find the small campus to be charming, the buildings are not dilapidated. The students are not permitted to smoke on campus. Tests are given and students are assessed. Furthermore, there are student evaluations (conferences) given twice a semester and, if requested, the teachers provide a synopsis of the students performance every two weeks. I encourage anyone with a high school student who is dissatisfied with their current school situation to visit the school and have the student shadow for a day.

Posted October 03, 2009
My son attended this school during his junior and senior year. His instructors helped him get stellar grades and he had experiences that he will never forget. This is the best school for creative students and those who care about justice and freedom of expression.

Posted July 06, 2007
We have two children (ages 20 & 21) that are September School grads. We are now starting our third child there and are so grateful to have a school that loves kids! They are encouraged academically, as well as in their personal lives, to be the best they can be. The whole staff is incredibly dedicated. There is a sense of community there that is missing at other schools. My older kids are doing great and I have to thank September School for a big part of that. They instilled a sense of confidence and an excited curiosity for learning that I don't think they would have gotten elsewhere. I highly recommend September School to kids who have what it takes but aren't using it.

Posted September 24, 2003