Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I go to this school. I understand that it is supposed to be a great school but it lacks depth. Instead of teaching the teachers have you go online and do ixl. Ixl is an online program that is supposed to help students like me learn things but on some of the tests and average grade is an f. An average grade is a c at most schools. I understand that it is your choice to go this school but I think that it would be better to have your child go to a different school and be in advanced classes then have them go here. At a whole school assembly, a staff member said that you are summit. they then talked about individually. I am a little confused because they talk about stereotypes so much that it makes stereotypes. sure I may be a student but in all honesty, I feel that summit middle school is not a good choice for any child

My daughter took high school classes starting in just 6th grade! Every student did! The teachers are outstanding, the kids are amazing, and the academics ensure she will get into a great college. Almost all of the students go into advanced program in the high school they go to. Summit also has great art, graphic design, ceramics, painting, drawing, etc. classes. The sports are decent and there are so many clubs. The student council and Summit Honor Society do so many great community service things it's just amazing! I really admire everything they do with allies club and accepting all idea. Such a great community!!!

Summit has been amazing for my son. He has learned how to study, go to organize and has found a passion for subjects he previously was not interested in pursuing. He's made really great friends with really great kids. The teachers are phenomenal. And even though the school has high expectations the kids are respected at their level and help from teachers is massive. I highly recommend Summit.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

My friend tells me that the teachers are nice toward the good students and offer good support. That sounds good enough.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I believe they can give the students less homework (on average I get AT MOST 3 hours. Usually, it is 80-90min. of hw for me. I know, Princeton is different). This way, the students can actually set time for study rather than trying to hastily complete the nightly boatload of busywork they get. In the long run, it actually can do more good. I know that less homework can also help students go to bed earlier and get more rest. This way, they can be more alert and process info quicker. See? It's like a circle...

Amount of homework: Disagree

They give us like 5 hours of homework. I think they could do better if they give us homework that wouldn't pressure or overwhelm us.

The academics are great, but there are bullies! They make fun of kids simply that like to learn and are in the accelerated level, like me. They are those popular kids that swear and think they are "cool" simply because they are with trends. One day they would be in a fast food restaurant working, thinking," Why was I popular and bullying smart kids?"

Develops character: Disagree

This is because I only have 1 friend and the mean popular kids simply said these things to me: "Your clothes are so stupid." " Your last name means (explicit) "Can't you stop following me?" ( Friend that ditched me)

The school is very academically great, but the honor society and student council is not manage well. The honor society, which is not part of National Junior Honor Society, is in its first year and I have not seen or heard about what this honor society does. The student council and honor society only accept students based on grade not merit. For example the student council and honor society are filled with the "popular kids" who are anti social and very arrogant. The beast program is also a similar story, the beast program since it was changed to be in groups has not taught anything to the students considering its main reason is the bring summit together, hence the name, but does not help or talk about bulling or students emotions. The school is a good school academically, but the beast program only meets 4 times a year. The honor society does not help the school in a big way, leaving that job to student council, that also contains bullies. The beast program never talks about themes and helps change some of the bad behavior at summit. The honor society does not tutor students, unlike a normal honor societies.

Mixed results. My academically oriented daughter chose this school because the vibe was mellower than other middle schools. (Well, yes, the reputation does tend to attract select bookish types.) A couple teachers have been absolutely inspirational. But many seem to be regularly hired away by a local private school. The homework load varies -- sometimes it's the same as other middle schools (we've had another kid through BVSD), other times it's frankly ridiculous. Some assignments are meaningful, many are busywork. So she is learning how to pick and choose. Should she go to bed late, skip dinner with her family, or deal with the consequences of a late or half-baked assignment? There's talk at Summit about life-work balance, but not a lot of follow through. There's talk about different kinds of learners, but most work is standard style. Ultimately, my student is learning some long term survival techniques in the rat race, trying to find intrinsic motivation for assignments. (altho she sometimes does get caught up in the Type-A overachiever culture.) I figure it's easier to test the waters here, tho, rather than in high school where the stakes for good grades are higher.

Last modified Summit Middle Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.