Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 11, 2015
They give us like 5 hours of homework. I think they could do better if they give us homework that wouldn't pressure or overwhelm us.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted June 11, 2015
Our school gives us competitions that make a few students have perseverance and try harder. Since everyone is different, the usual kids wouldn't have much of persistence.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 11, 2015
Simply people don't respect other people. 1.A popular person stuck gum in my backpack (Excuse me? plus no gum in school!) 2. The kids older than other kids will slam against them and say," Get out of my way, pixies!" ( That can create a concussion.... in fact like me) Luckily my teacher saw that!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 11, 2015
What popular kids say about me: 1. Your clothes is stupid (with swearing) 2. Your last name is (explicit) 3. Can't you stop following me? ( my old friend who dumped me) How can I simply enjoy school when people are treating me like this? I am not an annoying person, I am an introvert, and usually introverts are bullied, including me.

Summit Middle Charter School 3

Posted June 11, 2015
The academics are great, but there are bullies! They make fun of kids simply that like to learn and are in the accelerated level, like me. They are those popular kids that swear and think they are "cool" simply because they are with trends. One day they would be in a fast food restaurant working, thinking," Why was I popular and bullying smart kids?"

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 11, 2015
This is because I only have 1 friend and the mean popular kids simply said these things to me: "Your clothes are so stupid." " Your last name means (explicit) "Can't you stop following me?" ( Friend that ditched me)

Summit Middle Charter School 2

Posted February 07, 2015
The school is very academically great, but the honor society and student council is not manage well. The honor society, which is not part of National Junior Honor Society, is in its first year and I have not seen or heard about what this honor society does. The student council and honor society only accept students based on grade not merit. For example the student council and honor society are filled with the "popular kids" who are anti social and very arrogant. The beast program is also a similar story, the beast program since it was changed to be in groups has not taught anything to the students considering its main reason is the bring summit together, hence the name, but does not help or talk about bulling or students emotions. The school is a good school academically, but the beast program only meets 4 times a year. The honor society does not help the school in a big way, leaving that job to student council, that also contains bullies. The beast program never talks about themes and helps change some of the bad behavior at summit. The honor society does not tutor students, unlike a normal honor societies.

Summit Middle Charter School 3

Posted January 21, 2015
Mixed results. My academically oriented daughter chose this school because the vibe was mellower than other middle schools. (Well, yes, the reputation does tend to attract select bookish types.) A couple teachers have been absolutely inspirational. But many seem to be regularly hired away by a local private school. The homework load varies -- sometimes it's the same as other middle schools (we've had another kid through BVSD), other times it's frankly ridiculous. Some assignments are meaningful, many are busywork. So she is learning how to pick and choose. Should she go to bed late, skip dinner with her family, or deal with the consequences of a late or half-baked assignment? There's talk at Summit about life-work balance, but not a lot of follow through. There's talk about different kinds of learners, but most work is standard style. Ultimately, my student is learning some long term survival techniques in the rat race, trying to find intrinsic motivation for assignments. (altho she sometimes does get caught up in the Type-A overachiever culture.) I figure it's easier to test the waters here, tho, rather than in high school where the stakes for good grades are higher.
6 people found this helpful

Summit Middle Charter School 5

Posted May 16, 2014
This school was great (at least back at the year it started). Teachers were big on making sure the kids understood the subjects and very helpful with all questions. Yes, the homework level is high, but it sets you up with the abilities to make it far in life. I was an introvert and had absolutely no problem learning here.

Summit Middle Charter School 5

Posted May 11, 2013
Ex-squeeze me? Did someone say that summit kids are NERDY? Hold on. I'm a Summit Kid, and just because we are smart and full of love for learning (sometimes) doesn't make us nerdy. I hate math. Honestly. My math teacher is TERRIBLE here. He is mean to the kids that don't do well, even if they are trying as hard as they can and there parents force them to be in a high class. He is very unfair. WE ARE NOT NERDY. We are well prepared for the future, while also having tons of friends, fun, and fashion sense. We've got the best of both worlds!

4655 Hanover Ave, Boulder, CO  80305
Last modified Summit Middle Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summit Middle Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top