Summit Middle Charter School 2

Posted February 07, 2015
The school is very academically great, but the honor society and student council is not manage well. The honor society, which is not part of National Junior Honor Society, is in its first year and I have not seen or heard about what this honor society does. The student council and honor society only accept students based on grade not merit. For example the student council and honor society are filled with the "popular kids" who are anti social and very arrogant. The beast program is also a similar story, the beast program since it was changed to be in groups has not taught anything to the students considering its main reason is the bring summit together, hence the name, but does not help or talk about bulling or students emotions. The school is a good school academically, but the beast program only meets 4 times a year. The honor society does not help the school in a big way, leaving that job to student council, that also contains bullies. The beast program never talks about themes and helps change some of the bad behavior at summit. The honor society does not tutor students, unlike a normal honor societies.

Summit Middle Charter School 3

Posted January 21, 2015
Mixed results. My academically oriented daughter chose this school because the vibe was mellower than other middle schools. (Well, yes, the reputation does tend to attract select bookish types.) A couple teachers have been absolutely inspirational. But many seem to be regularly hired away by a local private school. The homework load varies -- sometimes it's the same as other middle schools (we've had another kid through BVSD), other times it's frankly ridiculous. Some assignments are meaningful, many are busywork. So she is learning how to pick and choose. Should she go to bed late, skip dinner with her family, or deal with the consequences of a late or half-baked assignment? There's talk at Summit about life-work balance, but not a lot of follow through. There's talk about different kinds of learners, but most work is standard style. Ultimately, my student is learning some long term survival techniques in the rat race, trying to find intrinsic motivation for assignments. (altho she sometimes does get caught up in the Type-A overachiever culture.) I figure it's easier to test the waters here, tho, rather than in high school where the stakes for good grades are higher.

Posted May 16, 2014
This school was great (at least back at the year it started). Teachers were big on making sure the kids understood the subjects and very helpful with all questions. Yes, the homework level is high, but it sets you up with the abilities to make it far in life. I was an introvert and had absolutely no problem learning here.

Posted May 11, 2013
Ex-squeeze me? Did someone say that summit kids are NERDY? Hold on. I'm a Summit Kid, and just because we are smart and full of love for learning (sometimes) doesn't make us nerdy. I hate math. Honestly. My math teacher is TERRIBLE here. He is mean to the kids that don't do well, even if they are trying as hard as they can and there parents force them to be in a high class. He is very unfair. WE ARE NOT NERDY. We are well prepared for the future, while also having tons of friends, fun, and fashion sense. We've got the best of both worlds!

Posted March 13, 2012
An incredible school. I'm always amazed at how well Summit does at not only Science Fair and National History Day, but also in sports. Because of the small tight-nit relationship, you feel as if you're part of something really great. As many teachers say, "Summit is the small school with a big heart". There is so much I'd like to say about Summit, but honestly, I don't have any bad things to say, so I'll leave you with this: Summit is not only a life-changing school, but because of it's high achieving history, it isn't uncommon to hear kids say "oh, you know, it's cause we go to Summit"

Posted August 16, 2011
Wonderful school, thanks to nearly all of the teachers. There are only a couple that I'm amazed are still there, especially because the teachers there are not unionized. [The principal is moving on within a year...] We hope to see some redirection of the few ineffective teachers, and more rewards to the utterly fantastic ones who are "hard", but highly respected by parents and alumni. My non-scientific extrovert felt the school was "too small" by the time graduation came (but appreciates it greatly in hindsight), but my science&math-loving introvert fit right in.

Posted May 21, 2011
Our oldest started at Summit this year and has had a terrific experience. The teaching has been engaging and rigorous (but not too rigorous) and he's enjoyed the challenge of more and harder work.

Posted March 13, 2011
I go to Summit now, and am a current 8th grader. Although the homework load is heavy (especially since I am taking the highest level of courses offered) and a bit stressful, Summit is a wonderful place. I have learned so much these past three years, I have made such wonderful friends, and have close bonds with my teachers. Summit prepares you amazingly for high school, and next year I, as well as almost every other Summit kid, will be taking advanced courses and will be way ahead of students from other schools. I disagree with the last comment, because all of the faculty and kids are very accepting to everyone. However, the sports teams aren't great, so I have played club soccer and basketball instead of on a school team. I also haven't been part of many clubs or activities, with the exception of National Junior Honor Society. Overall, this is a great school. I am very connected with my teachers, and all my fellow students.

Summit Middle Charter School 1

Posted February 13, 2011
If your kid is an introvert, this is not the school for them. The teachers and administrators tend to humiliate introverts, and they have have a poor and inconsistent track record of recording grades in a timely manner. Homework load is above average.

Posted October 25, 2010
I feel so fortunate to have a school like Summit Middle School in Boulder and to have "won" the lottery by getting a coveted spot for my first child (and therefore my second) at this fabulous school. My children are thriving at Summit, are handling the work load and are becoming such interesting, engaged students thanks to the talent faculty and staff I think that my children are receiving a private school education from the cost of attending a public charter school. I cannot say enough about this school, the faculty and the opportunity. What a gem of a school!

Summit Middle Charter School
4655 Hanover Ave, Boulder, CO  80305
Last modified Summit Middle Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summit Middle Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top