Boulder, CO

Posted December 05, 2014
Enrolling our 2 children at Friends' School has been the best decision that we have made as parents. We are reminded on a daily basis about this decision because our children are happy and thriving socially, emotionally, and academically. Friends' School is unique because both the preschool and elementary teaching staff integrates experiential learning, creativity, and social-emotional lessons into daily planning. We have noticed that our daughter in the elementary building has become a passionate, curious, and deep thinking learner. We believe this is because the staff at Friends' School has created a safe, friendly, and non-judgmental learning environment where children are encouraged to think outside of the box. Not only are they learning how to be mindful individuals, our whole family has benefitted from the philosophy at Friends'. We have attended multiple parent education workshops that have enriched our lives with our children outside of the school setting. We feel very fortunate to be a part of this wonderful community. Thank you Friends'!

Posted July 24, 2014
I cannot say enough positive things about Friends'. My daughter has only gone to preschool there and is going into Pre-K this year. We previously went to another school before Friends' and had an awful experience. My daughter hated the other school, but when we started Friends' school, she loved it so much, if she had a sick day, she would cry and cry because she didn't want to miss one day of school. The teachers are incredible and truly take every issue into consideration and really care about your child. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this school.

Posted April 25, 2014
I have been a teacher for the past 18 years, and feel incredibly blessed to have spent the last 9 years at the Friends' School. The first part of my career was in public schools, and although I loved that time, once I landed at Friends' I knew I was home. My fellow teacher are the most dedicated, intelligent, kind individuals I have every been blessed to work with. Every staff member has a growth mindset and is continually striving to make their own teaching stronger. That in turn helps their students succeed, and models for students and parents that we are all learners. My own two daughters attended this school, and both gained so many gifts beyond just academics. Friends' is really a very special place for parents, teachers, and students.

Posted April 22, 2014
Friends' School is a gem of a school where all the teachers work closely as a team, and all the students are known as individuals and feel part of the Friends' family. My daughter attended preschool through 5th grade, and now in high school still asks about the teachers and students there. The social-emotional foundation of the school was one of the main reasons we chose Friends' over other schools. The academic approach of hands-on learning, opportunities for multi-age experiences, and the fact that they take their teaching so seriously as to be a teacher licensing program as well are three reasons this school stands out in the community. The folks who teach at Friends' are committed to continually learning more and integrating what they learn about child development, brain science, effective teaching strategies, and growing resilient, inquisitive, compassionate people. See for yourself! Call them up and get a tour to see this place first hand!

Posted October 31, 2013
I love this school! I transferred my daughter to Friends after watching her innate love of learning slowly morph into behavior issues in a class of 26 Kindergartners all vying for the teacher s attention. From the very first day at Friends School, she was calm, engaged and happy and couldn t wait to go to school everyday. The feeling of safety, inclusion and community was palpable when you walked in the building. Every one of the teachers had a deep knowledge of my child as a learner and a social being and their wisdom and insight helped me to become a better parent. They were able to identify her musical intelligence and used music to help her in subjects that she was struggling with. The social emotional component of the school s curriculum is the real gem of Friends School. My daughter received an excellent academic foundation at Friends but what I m most grateful for is the extent that she learned, and still practices, self reliance, optimism, grit, gratitude, resiliency, courage, curiosity and above all kindness. She is currently a senior in college and still attributes her ability to achieve whatever she sets her mind to to her experience at Friends School.

Posted October 22, 2013
Friends' is a wonderful place for children to start their school experience because of the very small child to teacher ratio of 8:1 in the preschool and the way the school looks at all aspects of the child including social/emotional growth, developmental age and abilities and encourages children to grow from where they are. My children have attended this school for the past five years, and my husband and I love the way each teacher gets to know and help grow our children based on their individual abilities. Each semester and at the end of the year we get a minimum of a two page write up about our child in terms of physical, cognitive and emotional abilities and next steps to take. The teachers are always learning new methods and applying the appropriate ones in line with the school philosophy. If I had it to do all over again, I'd choose this school for my children again!

Posted October 21, 2013
This school has been the basis of my entire education and range of interests. I am now a junior in high school, and I have to start thinking about what I will want to do in college. Because of Friends' School, I have many interests that I want to pursue. For one, the art program at Friends' is what spurred my love of drawing, painting, and creating, and I am considering going to art school. Another one of my passions is the environment and nature, and I still think that the science lessons and field trips we took at Friends' started this passion. I was a student volunteer at the preschool for part of last year, and the teachers, students, and staff are still as caring, kind, and fun as I can remember. I am so lucky that I was able to go to Friends' School, and I still miss it today.

Posted November 29, 2012
As parents at Friends School (now in our eight year), we can only rave about our family s experience here. We have two children currently in the elementary school. We have found the teachers, staff and the new head of school to be at the top of their game. Our children, who have two very different learning styles, are excited and eager to head off to school each morning. They have developed a true joy of learning. The teachers and new head have a true passion for childhood education. And the environment and community are outstanding. We are so grateful to have found Friends and cannot say enough positive about our time here.

Posted November 18, 2012
Friends' School is an outstanding school and educational community. My child attended Friends' for eight years and my family felt like part of this special community from the start. We experienced consistently strong, professional leadership across two different heads of school-- each with an ability to guide the exceptional teachers and maintain the warm and supportive community environment that we treasure. Our child was known and valued for who she is and, thanks to Friends', has developed a very positive sense of herself and what she can do-- every child at Friends' benefits from the teachers' abilities to connect with the individual learner so that they are happy, engaged and thriving. Friends' has a unique combination of great academics, individual attention, focus on the whole child and an amazing community of children, teachers, staff and parents. These years have been an incredibly valuable foundation for our child-- thank you Friends' School!

Posted November 14, 2012
I gave Friends' a great review years ago and wanted to come back to add my perspective on the school's new leadership. I have been nothing but impressed with the new head of school. Among staff, I see a greater sense of camaraderie and fun. For students, I think the new leadership has been positive as well. For example, the new head has applied his passion for and considerable experience in children's theater to helping teachers and students reach new levels of creativity, enthusiasm, and professionalism in class plays and even the Halloween costume parade. My kids have very different personality traits and learner characteristics, and both continue to thrive at Friends'. One has received specific speech and occupational therapies on site at various times during elementary school, and that experience has been excellent. I also volunteer in the classrooms regularly and am impressed by the teachers' ability to respond to the needs of children who are wildly varying in personalities and learning styles and challenges. Equally importantly, I think the school does an incredible job of teaching kids to respect and value each individual regardless of learning differences.

Friends' School