No rating

Jarrow Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 4 students

Living in Boulder

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $530,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted July 3, 2014

My two kids have attended Jarrow for the past three years, and have experienced toddler through lower elementary. I can't say enough great things. The teachers are outstanding, the community is warm and loving (and there is a strong parent community as well), and the Montessori curriculum is excellent. My kids are both thriving and love going to school each day, and I love that there is an emphasis on the whole child my kids have learned a lot about grace and courtesy, and haven't had to deal with difficult cliques, in addition to having an outstanding academic education. I love Montessori's emphasis on self-directed learning and fostering a love of learning, which is very evident at Jarrow.

Posted April 11, 2014

Wonderful school, our kids have attended since they were toddlers. The teachers, head of school and the entire community are all great.

Posted January 8, 2014

My son only attended Jarrow for two years. It is a beautiful campus and encourages parental involvement. They work hard at building community. Although he had enjoyed traditional Montessori for three years prior to Jarrow, Jarrow was simply not a good fit. Some of the issues we ran into related to poor teachers that are unaware of bullying between the older and younger students in a mixed age classroom. In our case, bullying resulted in our child not fully participating in the classroom. Along those same lines, Montessori is based on "following the child" but in cases where a child is being emotionally abused, there is little effort put into supporting that child or even trying to minimize the bullying itself. I found individual support for each child lacking and was surprised by the number of discipline issues that the school deemed acceptable. I wouldn't say that building emotional intelligence is part of their curriculum, but it certainly should be- both for teachers and students. It's not as pretty and shiny as it appears.

Posted November 11, 2013

Our son has only been enrolled for two months now, but our whole family loves Jarrow. With a special needs child (epilepsy, dietary) the entire school has been highly supportive and exceptionally accommodating. The Montessori method along with awesome teachers has already fostered phenomenal growth in our child. In addition, a culture of parent education (hosting contemplative parenting workshops) and community (parent hikes, yoga through JPA, and socials) has been beneficial as well.

Posted February 14, 2011

We love this school! It supports our whole family. Jarrow places great emphasis on education, literacy, math and geography. My children are exposed to an amazing depth of material, and life lessons. The teachers are amazing! This school provides a peaceful space for children, encourages them to explore their world and be themselves. What a gift to our community!

Posted October 3, 2010

My two children attened Jarrow through 6th grade. It was a good fit for both of their learning styles. One of my children was a very bright student who was appropriately chalenged and supported. My other child had difficulties and he was supported as well. I like that my children loved school got great skills and are now both successful in their new education settings.

Posted September 17, 2009

Jarrow has a beautiful campus, inviting environment, and great teachers. Parents are very involved in the school. Children are encouraged to explore their own interests.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 31, 2009

I have three kids at Jarrow at the same time and couldn't be happier. My kids love to go to school every day and I can't get over how much they are learning. The math, the literacy, the knowledge of geography, and most importantly the LOVE of learning they come home with is truly amazing. I have had every primary teacher at Jarrow and have been truly impressed with the quality and consistency of their curriculum, approach and love and care for the children. The montessori methods are wonderful. My children have learned so much about self-reliance and independence that we have instituted Montessori methods at home, which has been a boon to the peace and happiness at home as well. Thank you Jarrow!

Posted August 31, 2009

My 22 year old son went to jarrow for 6 years and it was the best investment i could have made in his education. He is currently completing a 4 year college degree that he designed through Prescott University. He is pursuing an area he is passionate about and not a job. He traveled a year after high school and i did not pay a dime. He lives in Boulder now but independent of me. The equivalent in today's tuition of $72,000 i spent on him from K to 5th vs. the $14,000 i have given him for college says it all if you like $ info. For me, the pay off is an independent self-sufficient life long learner. His ability to self-direct his education is something my public and parochial school education would never have prepared me for these opportunities or joys.

Posted August 30, 2009

Jarrow is by far the best Montessori school in Boulder and possibly Colorado. The combination of teachers, staff, heritage and campus make it a truly magical place...full of life and learning!

Posted March 31, 2009

Jarrow has an incredible teaching staff and a warm and inviting campus. This school educated my children through 6th grade and gave them some invaluable lessons and a superior education.

Posted February 11, 2009

This is neither a Montessori School or really much of a school at all. In all honesty, it is daycare. If you would like education, look elsewhere. They do not adhere to Montessori methods or really to any consistent methods at all, which is confusing for the children. Bad behaviour and disorder are accepted in the classroom, possibly to avoid upset parents who pay the tuition. My children's level of attention, eagerness to work, and ability to challenge themselves have all gone out the window, and that's going to be hard to get back. Not to mention time out of their childhood and precious opportunities for education! As daycare, it is a friendly place with a nice playground, and the teachers are good people. But be prepared for disorganization and frustration from the administration, and don't expect your children to learn what they should be learning. We're going elsewhere.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3900 Orange Court