Horizon High School

Public | 9-12 | 1901 students

Posted September 13, 2014

This school is a great school when it comes to a community setting. Student's are proud to be a Hawk. The academics aren't horrible either. The school offers an intervention period every Wednesday where the student's can come in to class, retake their quiz or ask questions about an assignment. There is also a Math teacher available to help you every hour of the school day and most teachers are willing to help you after school too. (providing you come in within 30 minutes of the start of your off hour). The after school clubs are hard to get involved into, but once you do it is a rewarding experience. The schools sports are not of the highest standards but the schools Fine Art programs are wonderful. After school, there are fantastic shows rehearsed and performed (four a school year) and directed by highly qualified teachers. The stage is huge and can hold hundreds of people. And all music performances are from dedicated students. Some teachers aren't as supportive as others but because all (insert subject here) teachers are able to teach everything you can ask anyone of them for help on understanding a concept.

Posted January 14, 2014

I graduated in 2000 from horizon high. At the time I wasn't crazy about it, because I moved from a small school in the mountains (Platte Canyon High) and horizon was a bit of a culture shock. In hindsight, it was one of the best experiences of my life, and one that I will cherish. I went here for my final 2 years of high school, and while I wasn't involved in sports I had a great time going to school there. One of the teachers I had is on my Facebook friends list to this day, he was such an inspiration. The quote he said changed me and I will leave you with the same quote: "I am your teacher but I am not smarter than you. I simply know more content."

Posted December 17, 2013

Worst school ever! Administration and teachers are bad and the football program is the worst! I've never seen anything like it.. Everything is brain surgery and I highly recommend choicing your child into a different school!

Posted October 31, 2013

This School Is Horrible, They Suspend You For No Reason At All. They Have Horrible Teachers, They Do No Communicate Well At All. They Just Like To Get You In Trouble. That Is What I Have To Say About HHS...

Posted September 24, 2013

I am a senior this year at Horizon and I have attended this school all 4 years. At first the school seemed alright, but after being there for 3 going on 4 years its not that great. There are a few fantastic teachers that I loved, but the majority of the teachers don't really teach and just share their opinions on the world. So its hard to learn anything when the teachers are just telling you what they think of the military (I've only had one teacher say something positive about the military the rest were negative) , or other things in that nature. Also if you are open about supporting the military or wanting to join your grade will suffer except for if you have that one teacher. I've learned this through personal experience. Over all I have made a lot of great friends and made lots of memories through out the years but I would not recommend this school.

Posted May 15, 2013

It's incredible to that we have a week of hot weather out hear in the Denver area this spring and suddenly all the Adams 12 school's air conditioning units are 'broken'. So let me see if I understand this correctly, while the students are preparing for AP class testing as well as finals, the Adams 12 administrators are too cheap to turn on air conditioning so the kids can actually study and learn in class? Are you kidding me? The kids tell me the classrooms hit 85 degrees today. Where is this extra money saved going? Teachers? Admin salaries? Since I own and manage some commercial properties in the area I really doubt that both middle and high schools in the district all have the same problems at the same time and they don't have HVAC maintenance contracts. I don't know of any sizable commercial or public buildings that don't have these contracts. This is simply pathetic lying behavior from this district!

Posted September 12, 2012

I attended this school for 3 years and it was horrible. The deans where rude and acted more like police (garcia) rather than deans. Needles to say I moved high schools and graduated elsewhere. Do not sign up here it is horrible

Posted November 1, 2011

I would have to say this school could be better if the teachers were better. Don't get me wrong I have had some of the most amazing teachers there are but I've also have had some of the worst teachers like last year my math teacher was wonderful but I think she is the only good math teacher there. I'm not always proud of my school, but in some cases I am, but usually I'm not .

Posted June 25, 2011

School without a community of students and staff is just an empty building. If we want the school to improve, we as students and the staff need to improve. A student can walk inside a classroom with an already negative preconception of the teacher and class, or walk in with an open mind. Not all of the teachers at Horizon are unsatisfactory. Last year I had two of the most *amazing* ones. They most definitely helped me learn! Not only did they challenge me, but they also were unforgettably enthusiastic about what they taught. Certainly, certainly, there is still room for improvement; it starts with the little decisions we make on a day-to-day basis.

Posted January 12, 2010

horizon high school is a horrible school, teachers could care less anout you. i havent leanred ANYTHING in the past two years i have been attending, i learn more watching the history channel.

Posted December 27, 2009

I am a Senior at Horizon High School and I am strongly dissapointed in my school. The Deans have always been rude and at the current moment, Horizon is going through a transistion of administration and for the most part this transition has not been an easy one, and no one has tried to help make it eaier. When it comes to our principle and her first year here at Horizon all I can say is rotten! She does not support the school like our previous principle. There are only a select few of teachers that actually care about their students and talk to them before it's too late for them in the class. I'm glad this is my last year at Horizon but I'm sad this school is going downhill.

Posted November 26, 2009

I would say this school is so-so. While it has good teachers, mostly good staff and a rather low rate of crime, the honors program has diven us issues. They have devised a 'box' of sorts that every G.T. and Honors student is supposed to fit into. I did not, and it took us a very long time to get me what I need. Their honors program, SOAR, is still young, and has a lot of kinks to work out. While I would reccomend sending your child here, I would be hesitant at best to have anyone enter SOAR until hte kinks ger figured out.

Posted November 2, 2009

Horizon is a superb high school. Both of my children have graduated from this institution and are doing wonders in college. I would highly recommended this school to any other fellow parent. If your child is willing to be academically challenged while cultivating long-lasting relationships then you've found the right place.

Posted August 1, 2009

I just had a son who graduated from Horizon this spring and another son getting ready to enter this fall. I have nothing but good things to say about Horizon, I have been very involved in the school and think the staff and administration are very invovled in the school as well as the students. As a parent I believe its important to remain involved in your students life, just like you were when your child was in elementary school. The sports are pretty decent, however some of the coaches are known to pick favorites and the politics are irritating, but I've come to find out that this goes on in EVERY highschool. Basically it's all about what you and your student make of it.

Posted February 26, 2009

This school is one of the worst places i have ever been to they give the students no respect.The deans are rude and i wouldnt sugest sending your child there

Posted May 18, 2008

Horizon is the perfect place to learn and thrive for any student planning on attending a higher education institution. The clubs and sports are top notch and teachers make themselves easily available. The school recently added many new AP classes so the course selection is rigorous for those who choose to pursue that challenge. The principal is absolutely amazing and the staff is wonderful. I would recommend this public high school to anyone who plans on being challenged and for someone who simply wants to learn in a safe environment.

Posted May 21, 2007

I guess coming from a small high school in the south and moving to Colorado and attending Horizon I have a different perspective. I loved Horizon. It was an extremely great school. The teachers were more than involved, and wanted my parents involved. We had the freedom which lessoned the stress of everyday high school puts on you. The athletic program could of been a little better, but as far as an overall atmosphere, it was one of the best schools I've attended.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 21, 2007

Horizon staff does not allow parents to be involved at all. If your child falls behind or is having trouble in a subject they are on their own. The teachers don't contact parents until it is way too late. I have had two children attend Horizon and I really wish I had an option elsewhere.

Posted March 11, 2007

As a parent of a current student and a 2005 graduate, I can say I was expecting much more from my daughters' high school experience. From an academic stand point, I would say Horizon is average, neither of them encountered classes extremely challenging but did have to work for their grades. Both of my daughters are avidly involved in sports, one playing collegiately and one who just signed to do so next year. Athletically, Horizon has been one huge dissapointment. I do not know what the hiring process is for coaches but for my oldest, her time as an athlete at Horizon was the worst athletic experience of her life. My other daughter has found her sport to be less than enjoyable also. For this reason, we made sure my son pursued his high school career elsewhere. The coaches we encountered were sadly all on one big power trip.

Posted December 12, 2006

The school is not strict on discipline. The teachers provide a wonderful learning environment but they are not particularly challenging. The school, however does stress parental involvement which is a plus. The safety of the school is questionable. The extra curricular activities are mediocre. The clubs meet a maximum of every two weeks and there isn't really any involvement or dedication. The sports are plentiful, but try-outs are rarely posted and it is difficult to get a hold of information on sports.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students46%

Students without disabilities54%
Proficient in English51%
Neither migrant nor immigrant51%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/A41%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Vocal lessons / coaching
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5321 East 136th Ave