Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

We are former Jefferson County teachers. We currently bring fun science demonstrations to metro area schools. Every time we present at Ryan we are impressed with the respectful atmosphere the principal has for staff and students. Kristi Shaner, principal, is always present in the daily activities of the school. The school climate is fun, positive and conducive to learning.

We have been part of the Ryan community for three years. I cannot say enough positive things about the school. My children are encouraged, supported and held accountable for their choices when need be. The teachers and staff (Principal included) are friendly, hard working, and really accessible. The PTA is extremely active and there are plenty of opportunities for parents to help support the school.

The principal doesn't treat kids or adults fairly/the same. I volunteer a lot in the building and she is not professional at all. She has favorites (on the staff) and makes that very clear. She seems to have a chip on her shoulder and likes to have power. My kids love it here and that's what counts the most. The majority of the teachers really do care for the kids and have a love for their job. Sadly, some do not and that does effect their teaching in the classroom. Some of my kids have been there K-6 and some of them are still there. If you're lucky you will get teachers like Hoff, Welch, Kohlenstein, DeCola, and Effertz. These are some My kids have had and they go above and beyond their jobs. Overall, the school is good because of their teacher-that's who keeps it going for Our students

We absolutely love this school and the wonderful community around it. We open enrolled from out of district over 6 years ago and are so please with our decision. Both of our children have excelled at the school. The principal, teachers and entire staff are the most caring and dedicated people. The PTA is very active and offers a lot of great activities & opportunities for the students. We particularly like the Healthy Hawks and Fuel Up to Play 60 program that promote a healthy school environment. The music, art and PE teachers are outstanding and continually offer enrichment opportunities before and after school.

My son started school here in kindergarten. It was a wonderful school until three years ago when the school switched principals. The newer principal is demeaning and uncaring towards the kids. She also does not listen to the parents at all. She treats every kid like they are bad from the start and keeps a hawks eye out looking for trouble. She is in the Jeffco school district so it is next to impossible to remove someone like this. If you would like your kid treated like a criminal and like a military type run school then Ryan is for you. If not beware of this school! We pulled my child out and have been much happier and we are now seeing what it's like to have a kind, caring, warm principal.

This is a review from a student that just graduated 5th grade here. I spent from Kindergarden to 5th grade and I loved every bit of it. The community is great, now that i'm in middle school, tons of kids don't care about school at all here and do nothing. Ryan is different. I never saw that. The teachers are fantastic, all of them. The only reason i'm not giving them 5 stars is that there were hardly any clubs at all. But other than that, a perfect school for anyone.

I'm very concerned for my child's safety. My child told me that she left the school premises without the teachers noticing. That made me realize there's no fence around the entire playground. If the kids are playing on the north facing playground they can easily leave. That made me so upset. I checked many other schools before deciding on Ryan and I was busy checking test scores and making sure I liked the teachers. It never occurred to me to check the safety of the playground. All of the other schools had a fence that wrapped around to make sure no kids got away. Kids are young and they're going to test their boundaries. My child should have never been able to leave today. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I really like most of the teachers at this school. But I don't feel they are allowed to challenge my children. While volunteering, in the school, I was told by another parent that the teachers were not allowed to assign harder work or certain homework because the principal doesn't believe in homework. My children get excellent grades, and really do need more of a challenge as do alot of the kids in this school. We finally got a great teacher in my sons third grade, but I've noticed over and over again thather lessons are considered "too much" or "too hard". So this school really doesn't have your childs best interest they just want to dumb down the lessons so the kids feel better about getting good grades.

The teacher's we have had have been wonderful. My daughter loves learning and loves going to her specials classes as well. I appreciate the extra things Ryan does such as the READ dogs, Heatlhy Hawks High Fives for healthy food choices, Wonderful PTA enrichment classes, Passport Journey, Patricia Pollaco's visit to the school, teacher coaching and education and more. I volunteer at the school regularly and I like what I see. My only complaint is that I wish the principal was a little friendlier to parents. I don't necessarily feel acknowledged when I am there to help out, etc. On the other hand I think she takes good care of her teachers and I appreciate the organized ship she runs.

The community is supportive of each other. Last week we held a benefit concert for a student with cancer and the community donated nearly $4,000 to help the family. Parents are involved with their children and work to make the school great.

Last modified Ryan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.