Broomfield, CO
Before care: Yes

Broomfield Academy 1

Posted December 03, 2014
Teachers and principal do not respond to e-mails and phone calls. the educational plans for students do not address specific needs, are not measurable, do not list specific materials to be used, etc. The school seems unwilling to work with tutors who may actually know something about special education.

Posted October 23, 2014
We have had a really positive experience at Broomfield Academy. We moved to this school from public/charter and my kids have thrived. Math, which was a headache for my daughter, now makes sense to her. My son, who was getting in trouble at his old school, now likes going to school, is getting good grades and is using his manners, for a change. The school is small, all of the staff knows my kids, their habits, needs and potential problems. The principal is a doll, kind, experienced and fair. My kids teachers give them lots of individual attention, and work with them at their level. This really helps their confidence...and, they have good friends at the school. The fact that there is swimming lessons as part of PE is great, as we don't have to take them elsewhere to learn to swim or to do swim team. We wish we had found the school a few years earlier. We plan to stay through the end of middle school.

Posted October 23, 2014
We chose Broomfield Academy for our children because we were looking for a liberal arts school with a strong foundation in reading, writing and math at the core. The additional technology opportunities are a great supplement, but are not used to replace the direct teaching instruction our children are receiving. There is hardly any unnecessary screen time and only one standardized test per year. I appreciate that the teachers give our children a lot of individualized attention and are able to draw from a variety of materials for different learning styles. I have found them all to be highly qualified and very committed. The principal is very professional and also extremely qualified. She is recognized in Colorado as a leader in gifted education.

Posted October 15, 2014
I am surprised by the negative reviews because they aren't true at all. The middle school is awesome. The math instruction is very individualized with real homework (no IXL) and a lot of direct instruction (6:1 teacher:student ratio in my student's class). The principal is firm, but very kind.

Posted October 13, 2014
The current principal really brings down what would otherwise be an excellent school with many uniqe offerings. Hopfully she will retire soon as she is completely lacking in leadersip ability. Unfortunate.

Posted July 08, 2014
Middle school needs a lot of work. There's very little math instruction. Homework was just to do 20 minutes of anything they wanted on Khan or IXL, and they weren't help responsible for it. They're supposed to be an individualized school but the only thing that is really individualized is math, and this just means that the kids are moving at their own speed. This sounds great, but it translated as no speed at all, and too many kids in different places. The teacher could not possibly keep up with all of them to give them solid instruction. Not a good formula for teaching math. The Principal seems very ineffective and argumentative. We've moved our kids out.

Posted June 17, 2014
If anyone is looking for a place for their kids to take swim lessons I highly recommend Broomfield Academy! My boys have had three lessons so far this summer and have learned more already than they have in the previous two summers combined. Elizabeth has worked with each of them at their own level (one loves water and the other not at all), and has been extremely flexible to allow us to schedule lessons at times and days that work for us, not on a set schedule. Amazingly I am only paying $5 more than I was for semi private lessons at the rec center. I can't recommend Broomfield Academy highly enough for swim lessons!

Posted March 15, 2014
I like the fast pace, especially in math. My children are thriving. I am confident my middle school child will be ready for Algebra II in 9th grade. I have heard of changes in the elementary school to "Math-in -Focus" or Singapore Math, which will slow down the pace for better understanding. It's not my preference, because we are a math family. I am thrilled with the LA instruction. This is where BA shines above the rest. My children are improving in writing and reading comp. The technology classes are great too. I like the programming and 3-D printing. I also like how well-rounded the school is, balancing STEM with the Arts. I don't believe administrators are micromanaging these forums. They seem very responsive to comments and are very invested in the school.

Broomfield Academy 2

Posted March 09, 2014
The earlier reviews on dec 8th &16th are interesting. its as if the school watches bad reviews and attempts to negate them with positive ones. I Could be wrong :-) I agree with the parent from Feb 20th, Their math needs a review. Teachers are pressured to run through the curriculum. Often my kid comes with HW on topics not touched on at school. If you look at the review from Dec 16th you will understand. It mentions that their child in 2nd grade learnt 6 NEW Topics in Math in a span of 21/2mths (Dec break incl)! It shows how quickly they want the child to move. Please note that my child is TAG and very capable of handling pressure and fast pace. However, as a parent I think its important to sit longer on some units. There's quality and then there's quantity. Depends on what you want for your child. Other areas also need to slow down. Kids start on a project, take materials from home and often do not finish it because of lack of time. Individualized placements are based on convenience of groupings by teachers rather than actual tests/reviews. The Principal and the teachers need to sit down and find the best way to get high achievement without compromising on quality.

Posted February 20, 2014
Overall it's good academically, but there is a lot to be desired with the math program in the middle school. The aren't enough kids to justify giving consistent and direct instruction (there are too many students at different places in the curriculum). Students just sort of have to work on their own, and try to figure out concepts without preliminary instruction from a teacher. They can ask questions and try to get help from a teacher but this doesn't always work. Otherwise, I think it's a good place on a social level, which can be hard to find in a middle school.

Broomfield Academy