Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My kids have gone to Ellicott for 3 years and they have been absolutely fantastic! All my children have exceed and are getting great grades. My middle child as having a hard time reading and his 1st grade teacher decided to tutor him after school with a few other students from her class. He has made great improvement and is doing so much better. We like how small the school is and all the staff knows the kids names. I have not had a single issue with this school. They have done such a great job with my kids. My youngest who is in kindergarten is so far above the other kids all due to her teacher and they love going to school. This school doesn't deserve such a low rating. It's great and with us being active duty military they have been to a lot of schools.

This school is absolutely not going to have your child's best interest in mind. Up until this point all we have heard from the teacher was how much better our child was doing. But not once was it relayed that they where on the way toward retention. Now only HALF way through the year both the principle and the teacher want to write off our child and make a decision to hold our child back. How can a teacher make those type of decisions when there is still so much that can be done? Not only has the teacher been extremely non supportive and very unprofessional with us, but the principle nor vice is anywhere to be found. I have made repeated attempts to try and get ahold of either one to talk about a better way ahead or at least options to help our child with no answers or call backs. This school deserves much lower than a 3 when it is writing off students half a year in and giving up on them. I hope if you are reading this you take the matter seriously as I am not fluffing up the story at all. If you have a child who is a rock star than your experience will be different, but if you know your child may need some help.....don't count on it.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They do the minimum..... so something is better than nothing right? But I am convinced it is not enough given this year over 25% of my child's class is up for retention.

Amount of homework: Disagree

One page a day of math when she is failing in writing..... makes sense right?

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Complete lack of professionalism in staff I have met. Hard to develop such important traits in students when it is not within the staff themselves.

We moved here from Texas in 2006 and my kids have loved this school more than anything. We have met some great teachers, parents, and kids here. There is nothing like a nice country school. My teenager would fight us all the time about getting up and going to school in Texas, but since we came here he's up before anyone. I also am glad that I don't have to worry about "teen problems" here like at most schools. Mostly everyone knows everyone, and were all like family. Plus you can't beat the 3 day weekends... every weekend!!!

Not even sure where to start! The principal is a joke, he doesn't care about the students, the staff in his building or the concerns of the parents. He is rarely ever around and I have heard him be condecending to the staff and belittle parents infront of students. When these issues are brought to the superintendent, he just screams and throws a fit like a middle school bully. I was standing in the Elementary behind the superintendent who was talking to the janators and he was swearing very loudly...IN THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL during school hours!! I had hoped that the school board would not keep either of the new admin mentioned above because SEVERAL people have complained, I was very disappointed that choose to keep two men (super intendent and elementary principal) who are not only tearing down our schools but who have been fired from previous districts for serious issues. The last school the prinicipal worked at is worse off than Ellicott was when he took it over. Yes the reading scores went up slightly...this is a testiment to the staff not the new admin. Pulled all of our children from this school and district! Not a healthy enviroment, my suggestion would be, RUN! Run fast!

Ellicott Elementary is a great school. I think the whole Ellicott school system is great. I have a special needs child and from day one every person I talked to was kind, professional, informative, and timely in returning my calls or getting back to me with answers to questions I had. They are a small district and because of that the teachers and staff know my children and I like that. I do find the teachers are no non-sense but they are also kind and that I also like. My children have thrived socially and academically since they started at Ellicott.

Unfortunately, the school has a lot of work to do to get better. There was a child injured recently, one left on the bus (a preschooler), and the grades are the lowest in the state. Good changes seem to be happening if some of the old timers would get out of the way and the teachers would embrace change.

I am so happy with Ellicott! My kids have been in this school since preschool and I am so happy with the education they have received. I volunteer at the school and I am able to get an "inside" view of the way the teachers interact with the children.

Last modified Ellicott Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.