Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The teachers are amazing but have no support from authority figures. The students can misbehave and be bully's and nothing is done by the principal. The teachers need to teach and the principal should be disciplining the unruly kids not the teachers. My kid has been stolen from, hit and yelled at and not a thing was done. I wished there was more structure because the teachers are awesome but can't teach as they have to referee all the bad kids.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

It is often looked over, ignored and not dealt with simply because there is so much of it.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The teachers make sure to accommodate the needs of the kids. From my experience extra help is available.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The teachers have to be the teacher and the disciplinarian which means my kid is not learning and watching the teacher deal with the half of the class who can't listen or be nice.

Develops character: Disagree

No consistency with discipline and enforcement of school policy.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers ARE what makes this school, it is actually what has kept us here so far.

Amount of homework: Neutral

The days are very long so additional homework for young children means it cuts into dinner, shower and bedtime.

My kids have gone to Ellicott for 3 years and they have been absolutely fantastic! All my children have exceed and are getting great grades. My middle child as having a hard time reading and his 1st grade teacher decided to tutor him after school with a few other students from her class. He has made great improvement and is doing so much better. We like how small the school is and all the staff knows the kids names. I have not had a single issue with this school. They have done such a great job with my kids. My youngest who is in kindergarten is so far above the other kids all due to her teacher and they love going to school. This school doesn't deserve such a low rating. It's great and with us being active duty military they have been to a lot of schools.

This school is absolutely not going to have your child's best interest in mind. Up until this point all we have heard from the teacher was how much better our child was doing. But not once was it relayed that they where on the way toward retention. Now only HALF way through the year both the principle and the teacher want to write off our child and make a decision to hold our child back. How can a teacher make those type of decisions when there is still so much that can be done? Not only has the teacher been extremely non supportive and very unprofessional with us, but the principle nor vice is anywhere to be found. I have made repeated attempts to try and get ahold of either one to talk about a better way ahead or at least options to help our child with no answers or call backs. This school deserves much lower than a 3 when it is writing off students half a year in and giving up on them. I hope if you are reading this you take the matter seriously as I am not fluffing up the story at all. If you have a child who is a rock star than your experience will be different, but if you know your child may need some help.....don't count on it.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They do the minimum..... so something is better than nothing right? But I am convinced it is not enough given this year over 25% of my child's class is up for retention.

Last modified Ellicott Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.