American Academy

Charter | K-8 | 892 students

Posted September 29, 2007

I am amazed at what my kids are learning at American Academy. The education they are receiving is far above where they were before coming to this school. This is an academically challenging school and I couldn't be happier with the curriculam, the teachers or the administration.

Posted September 20, 2007

We are thrilled with the school. I will admit that it was an adjustment coming from a school where my children were never challenged. Now they are thriving and loving everything about it. Of course they can't wait for the new facility with a 'real' playground but they are still having fun and staying active. I am certain that my children will be prepared for highschool and beyond now. They are learning to take notes and tests and they are actually learning to write! I never saw an effort to teach writing in thier old school. In addition the Core knowledge curriculum allows a deeper exposure to science and history before Jr. High. The 4th graders are about to dissect a animals heart while they are learning about cardiology! There are high expectations of the children in this school and they really rise to meet the challenges set in front of them.

Posted May 29, 2007

You couldn't pay us to take our kids out of AACP. Yes, the Admin could use some work, but so could any organization in the world - academic or not. Yes, there are issues with the playground, but we all went in knowing that the current campus was temporary. Wait till the new school is built in Fall 2008! The academics are very challenging; The parent community is very passionate about the lives of their kids - which is part of why this school is so great. The school is new and always evolving. CSAPs don't lie, nor does the 700+ person waiting list.

Posted May 24, 2007

We feel very fortunate to have found American Academy: For parents, we offer the following: 1. It's a core knowledge school. It's important to understand what that means and how it will 'fit' your child's needs. We have found (after just one year) that our kids (3rd and 6th grade) have learned more than we could have ever expected (we came from an established Douglas County elementary school with an excellent rating). 2. Math/Science/and Technology is a major focus. The students exceed proficiency in these areas at an early age. The content is challenging and progressive. 3. The academic and behavioral expectations are high. We are happy about this. 4. The school is 'young'. There are many 'new school kinks' to work out,which incidentally, are within reason and to be expected. The administrative systems are in place and communication has been excellent. 5. The volunteer and parental energy is very high.

Posted May 24, 2007

We have sent our daughter to AA for the past two years. She just finished her first grade year and is reading at a strong 3rd grade level. Her math skills are greatly improving because of the time her teachers are spending with her. I can't speak highly enough of the teachers that teach at AA. The specials at AA have greatly improved since the first year and I can't say enough how wonderful they are and all the time they each put in each year. I personally volunteer on a weekly basis and feel that my time is well spent.

Posted April 25, 2007

We're thrilled with our daughter's progress in this school. Nothing's perfect! You have to take the good with the bad. The facility is not good, but it's temporary! Our daughter loves her school and her teacher. Not once has she ever complained about the building or playing on concrete. Her dad grew up in Queens and he played on concrete! he's fine. Love the dress code. Sometimes you have to go with the flow and let things work themselves out. It's a new school and there will be growing pains. The curriculum is great, teachers are good. We're very happy!

Posted April 24, 2007

I went to American Academy the first year it opened. There were some things that I liked about American Academy, and there were some things I dreaded about American Academy. First of all making friends was the easiest part. Everyone was new so that wasn't challenging. Also I really liked the teachers, and I also really liked the specials teachers as well.My teacher was the best teacher I had ever had. American Academy did not have that many after school activities. American Academy had just ok facilities. The board members kids were treated differently from everyone else's kids. Older grades weren't always nice to younger grades. I thought they focused too much on math and science. The administration wasn't very friendly either.American Academy wasn't for me.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 4, 2007

Stay away from this school at all costs! My kids are MISERABLE here. We are doing everything we can to get them out and back in to our neighborhood school. The only positive is the curriculum but even that can't make up for the countless other negatives; terrible facility, weak administration, very few extra curricular activities.

Posted March 31, 2007

I made the big mistake of sending my child here this year. I completely agree with the other parent regarding the administration and board. If your not one of the select few you will have no say. If you offer suggestions that differ from their opinions you will be shunned. Academics are ok, and the school gets good marks in those areas, but at what cost? Little Robots? Will the overscheduled children be able to function in the real world? Do some serious research before betting your child's education on this school!

Posted March 30, 2007

I LOVE AA ad am very glad to go there! I think all kids should go here. The teachers are wonderful!! It is the best school in Colorado! I don't know why anyone would think it is a bad school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 13, 2007

I am constantly amazed at the progress that my child has made at AACS. the staff and teachers are so caring and wonderful. They put in so much time and heart! I can't say enough positive words about the curriculum! Core knowledge is the way to go! The one thing that I should mention is that this school is an academically rigorous school of choice. Therefor, not all students and families may fit the high standards that they expect. Some kids just don;t fit the challenging classes. I cna add that you won;t be disappointed if you want your child to succeed in life- send them here!

Posted February 18, 2007

My kids went to American Academy last year. I couldn't get them out of there fast enough. In fact, my kids begged me not to send them back there. The administration treated the parents who put in countless volunteer hours horribly. The board members children get special treatment. The school claims to be about core values, but the administration and board don't practice what they preach. The teachers were good, but it didn t make up for the stress that was inflicted on everyone. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 9, 2007

There is a lot to be said for this school - some good teachers, the curriculum - BUT... the admin is only there for damage control. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Posted February 1, 2007

I go to American Academy(6th)and this school rox tha world. Everyone should go here. It is the best school in all of Colorado. I love it! Send your child here and you will worship the school for how in line they are and how much they know!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 11, 2007

The school and teachers are completly involved in the kids and their education. Principal extreamly envolved and eager to help. Other parent interaction is amazing.

Posted January 11, 2007

I'm just amazed by these horrible reviews, especially the one that said American Academy does not compare well to other schools in science and technology. American Academy offers very rigorous instruction in those areas, so I'm not sure why anyone would have made that comment. The school did have a rough start, but that is to be expected for a first-year charter school. Complaints about the Board could be true, but the school has improved a great deal since last year and I see more improvement every day. The Core Knowledge curriculum speaks for itself, and I love the level of discipline at the school. The music and art classes are great, and parents are able (and expected) to volunteer as much as possible. My children have attended other public schools in the area, and I can say from experience that American Academy is far superior.

Posted December 23, 2006

Our two sons were there last year and we are very happy to have them out of there. We thought their teachers were quite good, but the school administration and parents board were running amok. We had to get the school district involved in how they were railroading our oldest son for minor stuff. The school district took our side, but AA didn't change their ways. Beware! If you send your kids to a charter school, that school then becomes your 'neighborhood school'. If the charter school doesn't work out, your geographical neighborhood school does not have to take them. You may be stuck. We had to beg!

Posted September 6, 2006

I had 3 children in AA last year. We chose to pull all three of them for several reasons. First, all three of their teachers were let go. I thought all 3 teachers were great because of the time they spent with my children and met their individual needs, mainly, reading and math. Secondly, the Board of Directors showed that their decisions were made for their own needs and not the school as a whole. They disregard suggestions or feelings of the parent population. Last of all, it was not worth the stress. The rules change in midstream, concerns with the curriculum, especially the lower grades, lack of choices for the upper grades and just the 'politics' of the school on a day-to-day basis.

Posted September 1, 2006

People should know that the high CSAP scores received by this 1st year school are reflective of where the student attended the previous year. Over 30% unenrollment after first year. Many have stayed because neighborhood schools are full. Curriculum is great. The school advertises having a Science and Technology emphasis but does not compare to other schools in those areas. Employee turnover is high: at least 10 teachers and staff left. Parents are treated rudely by the administration and board. It would be better if the board members did not have children attending the school. Playground is cement - no grass or equipment. The uniform policy was completely changed against parents wishes causing financial hardship on many families. New schools can have bumpy starts. Without a change in the school leadership some of these problems may never go away. Our family didn't have time for the changes to be made.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

White (not Hispanic)91%

Students without disabilities91%
Proficient in English90%
Neither migrant nor immigrant90%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 2%N/A41%
Male 48%N/A51%
Female 52%N/A49%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Erin Kane
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Fax number
  • (720) 733-2641

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge