School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

American Academy is an academically rigorous and character-driven preschool through grade 8 charter public school with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). We have two Douglas County, Colorado, campus locations: one in the city of Castle Pines and one in Parker near Main Street. At American Academy, we believe that for students to be truly competitive in the 21st century, they must have an early and solid foundation that includes math, science, and literacy along with a well-rounded and common body of historical and cultural knowledge. We deliver that foundation using a range of carefully chosen and age-appropriate curriculum, along with our own American Academy STEM Discovery Program, designed to expose students in all grades to the fields of study and professional possibilities in STEM. In every area of study, we challenge and support each student at their own ability level using flexible ability grouping. regular progress evaluation and data-driven instruction. In addition to our proven academic record, we immerse our students daily in a culture of respect and responsibility, setting high expectations for character as well as academics, and encouraging that with integrated character-based programs and our own American Academy Manners.
June 05, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

This school pays lip-service and that's about it. My son was being bullied (physically hit and punched). Interestingly this kid was smaller than my son, but he (my son) refrained from retaliating because he did not want to hurt him. Many emails, phone calls and meetings later this behavior was still not changed. I told my son to punch the bully as hard as he could.... Resolved!

Effective school leaders: Disagree

I'm sure there are good intentions, but from what I have experienced too little. One principal I dealt with was a logical rational person.... Alas he quit. I wonder why.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This is comical. This school employs outdated and ineffective methods of discipline.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I'd say about 75% of the teachers I have dealt with over 10+ years have been effective.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Just too much. Many times homework should actually be a classroom activity.

This school has quite the turnover rate. Apparently good teaches are hard to come by for AA. Also 12 year old students are treated like high school kids. They are not really preparing them for high school, but assuming that they should have the skills necessary. My student recently received a 'demerit' for placing a cap on his head as he was exiting the building....because he was still in the lobby and thus, technically still inside the school. This does nothing to improve student behavior - it only promotes dissent. There are some good teachers, but also many more that act like 1940's school headmistresses! And homework? Ha. Too much and it does not enhance learning of 'taught' concepts...when they 'teach' at all. Many times students are expected to learn concepts on their own instead of being guided through them and actually TAUGHT. My student started here in Grade K, but we will not be returning for middle school.

I have heard nothing but great things from the parents and students at this school.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I'm not sure I can answer this as my children do not have learning differences.

Amount of homework: Neutral

The homework may be a little too plentiful at times.

I'm quite surprised to read the negative reviews on this site. We have had a great experience so far and this is our 5th year at American Academy, Castle Pines. I have children in second and fourth grade. My fourth grader started out in the supported language arts class in kindergarten. At last test, she now reads at a seventh grade level and is in the advanced placement class. So I have personally seen the ability groups to be fluid and I feel that the progress my older daughter has made in her time there has been just phenomenal. I feel that my children have loved all of their teachers. In conferences that I've had with teachers, I feel that we've talked about my children as a whole and not just their scores. A conference is what you make it. If you want to talk about a certain topic, then bring it up. I feel the discipline is more than fair. One of my children received a detention for starting early on a timed test which constitutes cheating. She was disciplined gently and given a fair consequence for the action. I think their character program is great and the kids really learn the basics for being well-mannered which will serve them well in life. Yes, the academics are rigorous and the homework can be plentiful at times but I'm happy with the progress my kids have made. Other reviews below describe unfair treatment to students whose families have not donated certain sums of money. This is totally false. I'm a single mother and have donated where I can but certainly not to the level of others and there is no difference in how my children are treated. I've put in a review today because I was appalled to read all of the negative reviews when I would guarantee that most people are quite happy with the school.

Last modified American Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.