School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

American Academy is an academically rigorous and character-driven preschool through grade 8 charter public school with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). We have two Douglas County, Colorado, campus locations: one in the city of Castle Pines and one in Parker near Main Street. At American Academy, we believe that for students to be truly competitive in the 21st century, they must have an early and solid foundation that includes math, science, and literacy along with a well-rounded and common body of historical and cultural knowledge. We deliver that foundation using a range of carefully chosen and age-appropriate curriculum, along with our own American Academy STEM Discovery Program, designed to expose students in all grades to the fields of study and professional possibilities in STEM. In every area of study, we challenge and support each student at their own ability level using flexible ability grouping. regular progress evaluation and data-driven instruction. In addition to our proven academic record, we immerse our students daily in a culture of respect and responsibility, setting high expectations for character as well as academics, and encouraging that with integrated character-based programs and our own American Academy Manners.
June 05, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 07, 2016
Ms. Liddick really helped take a lot of the 8th grade stress off of me. She was super nice and a teacher I felt I could just talk to, which doesn't happen often. Thanks Ms. Liddick!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 07, 2016
American Academy hires excellent teachers for the most part. Since they are chosen by their performance, the best teacher is picked for the students' needs.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted January 07, 2016
I feel that some of the homework the students are given could be done as a classroom activity.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted January 07, 2016
Oh yes. The workload is intense and to make it through you need persistence, grit, and determination.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted January 07, 2016
I was the best at being obnoxious and making trouble before I went to this school. It really shaped my character well.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted January 07, 2016
The lessons taught in the classroom definitely teach kids to put themselves in someone else's shoes and imagine what they are feeling.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted January 07, 2016
While they do promote honesty, the harsh restrictions put into place make kids discreet when they break the rules and maybe even dishonest to avoid punishment.

American Academy 3

Posted January 07, 2016
This is a school that is hard to give a star rating because the benefits only apply to some people. I am a freshman just starting my second semester of 9th grade and I'm doing very well. My first few years at the American Academy were rough. It has some tough discipline which, although very frustrating and stressful, helped break me of my disrespectful habits and actually improve my character. Elementary school didn't seem bad to me because most of the rules made sense--for elementary kids. You see, American Academy is an excellent elementary school, but after that--well it seems like they just don't know what to do with you. Continuing to treat you like an elementary student, they almost restrict your ability to move towards a higher level of responsibility and respect. It started with sixth grade, which felt like a step up in independence. We got lockers, we ended the dreaded card system (a punishment system involving different colored cards for multiple offenses in one day), and our teachers were awesome! Other than that, the rules didn't really change. Very restrictive rules followed us all throughout middle school--things like you can't use one stairwell because it could "scare" the first graders (who loved us), late work that is one day past the due date is 20% off, and much more. You always felt like you were being watched by authority and if you slip--big trouble. Now many kids in 8th grade at American Academy have a sort of "8th-grade-itis." They are so fed up with the rules and frustrated that after an already difficult 7th grade year, the workload gets ramped up even more. I personally felt this way. I let my grades slip and my attitude worsened. I was so ready to be done that I just went through without a care about my grade--I was already going to high school anyways. But then I got to high school and I realized--it paid off. After the great social connections made 8th grade year, I felt very confident I could stroll right in and meet new people. It was easy! What blew my mind even more is that academics is a breeze!! I never thought I was a good writer being a math guy, but I got a 96% in English I Honors first semester! The bottom line is, if academics is very important to you and you can handle the work, American Academy middle school is well worth it. But if it isn't--choose a public school.

American Academy 1

Posted December 21, 2015
I am currently a student at AA. This school has ruined me. Do not send your child to this school. I have been a student at AA for 9 years. This school breaks you. Elementary school was alright, but middle school has broken me. I know I'm not the only one. I have too many friends that agree. You are divided into classes based on your mental ability and cliques are derived from this. the cliques are so bad that bullying develops, but the school DOES LITERALLY NOTHING ABOUT BULLYING DESPITE THEIR PROMISES. most students have experienced a situation where the school didn't help them, so students try to work it out with others which often never works and leads to social problems. I've had many peers tell me they are depressed. I'm in the advanced class and our class has an average of 5-6 hours of homework a night. The science/stem program is awful. Overly advanced teachers are brought in and they ramble nonsense all class and then assign a packet of homework. Yet I keep telling myself it will get better. 9 years, nothing has gotten better. everything is going downhill. AA has lost all of their kind teachers and merely replaced them with robots. Props to Mr. Billman, Mr. Middlebrooks, Ms. Pearo, Mr. Riggs, and Mr. Leadbetter. those are the only good teachers out of ALL of AA. They never sympathize with the student. I'm a victim of depression and social anxiety and I can blame this school. I wouldn't type all of this if you didn't need to know. don't do this to your child. ask some of the 8th graders how they feel. they've gone through it all. you're simply wasting your time. it's about time you didn't hear it from a teacher or a parent, you heard it from me, a student. no matter how much our parents try to convince themselves it's alright, it's not. this is mental torture. you are dragging your child down a dark path. the only thing this school focuses on is how well you test. they don't care that your dog died the night before or you had a severe breakdown. as long has you get a good testing score, you're fine! The arts program is magnificent though. but it's not worth it. I don't go through this because of the arts program. I go through this because I have to stay. so now you know. if you want your children to grow up to be emotionally wrecked go ahead, enter that lottery. I feel so bad for those that haven't graduated yet. I'm praying for you all.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted December 21, 2015
no. this school is built on false promises. I don't know how I can stress it enough

6971 Mira Vista Lane | 11155 Motsenbocker Road, Castle Pines, CO  80108
Last modified American Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.