Meadow View Elementary School 3

Posted December 09, 2014
Meadow View has a good core group of teachers and parents that make the school a positive learning environment for most students. The Artful Learning curriculum is fantastic, but it is unevenly applied through grade levels, as it relies on individual teachers to create the units and not all teachers are created equal. Student safety is a big issue and the number of incidents seems to grow every year. Their policies for handling problem kids are not working, and there is no transparency to parents when something happens. A child can be seriously threatened and the parents are not informed. I agree that they need more engagement for gifted kids, because there is precious little differentiated instruction now. The Principal really is awful. It isn't a difference in style, she does not have what it takes to run a school. She doesn't supervise her staff evenly, she has almost no engagement with parents or students, and is unprofessional and does her best to disappear when issues come up. My family is struggling this year with the decision to move to a school outside of our neighborhood. This school has many positives but having an incompetent leader is huge problem.

Posted November 21, 2014
When we moved to Douglas County, we took our time deciding between all the options this school district has to offer. After touring our neighborhood school, Meadow View, we knew we didn't have to look any further. We are beyond pleased with our boys' experience. The school has high academic standards and the Artful Learning model means that the school takes a whole brain, whole child approach to education. They definitely don't 'teach to a test' at this school. The staff is very caring and our boys are very happy here. A few of the negative reviews on this site focus on the principal. While I don't see her out-and-about when I pick up my sons, I have found her to be very involved with the PTO and the School Advisory Committee. I think perhaps she has a different leadership style than what others are accustomed to, but I don't think it means she is any less concerned about the welfare and success of her students. The involved parents I know seem to really like her.

Posted October 30, 2014
We moved here this year, our district school had a horrible reputation, so we chose Meadow View- 30 min away for us. I am appalled at the 5th grade curriculum. First of all, my 10 yr old son was sent home with a CUT AND PASTE worksheet on the "hard g, vs the soft g"!!!! My daughter mastered this in Kindergarten!! There is NO homework other than constantly doing flashcards for basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division that they have to do on the computer, get 100% 3x in each, before they are allowed to move on. First they have 3s per prob, then have to repeat the whole process in 2 s per prob, then again repeat the whole process in 1.5 sec! A total waste of time and absolute absurdity in the 5th grade! They have yet to start any science- this is still unclear to me...and finally, the principal is a ghost- never there. I have tried 2x to make appts. with her to discuss the situation. The staff assure me they will set up a time, and yet never call back, Instead I'm shuffled back to teacher- about my concerns, after I have already spoken to her. Kids are not grouped by ability- a detriment to all kids! I'm hoping to move him for this next semester. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Posted June 04, 2014
When you open the cover of the current Meadow View year book, you will see a cute picture of the staff dressed as minions for Halloween. The saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" is so fitting here! The glaringly obvious person missing from the pic, is the principal. This is no mistake, as she is not ever around. You don't see her greeting students at school before the bell rings at the beginning of the day or saying goodbye at the end of the day. She wouldn't even know your child went to her school, unless they have had to spend time in her office. in my opinion, she lacks integrity. "The supreme quality of leadership is integrity" D. Eisenhower I agree with the recent post about safety too. Teachers are on their cell phones or talking to one another when they are supposed to be watching our children. And while kids are just being kids, and having fun, with loads of energy, the teachers treat them as if they are little menaces and scold them harshly. I am so saddened that our neighborhood school is such a scary place to send my children. There are some amazing kids (and parents) at the school, but lots are leaving. And thank goodness, so are we.

Posted May 28, 2014
This was our first year at MDVE and thankfully, our last. A child's safety should be of the utmost importance at a school, but it certainly isn't a priority here. The students are supposed to line up on the playground before school everyday, but there is absolutely NO supervision, other than the parents, outside in the mornings. School crossing guards are at their post no earlier than 2 minutes before the 1st bell rings and 2 minutes after the last bell at the end of the day rings. Children cross the busy parking lot and street by themselves! You will NEVER see the Principal outside of her office, or outside of the building for that matter. Recess is a complete joke. Of the two or three staff outside, they are usually standing on the black top chatting with one another or using their phones, completely ignoring the children. We have had several incidences this year with kids in the primary grades punching, choking, threatening other children. The communication between faculty and parents is terrible!! The school has a lot to fix. I think under a new principal, it could be better. But, we are not going to stick around to find out!

Posted April 02, 2014
We love the school and the environment. The safety is of course high priority and well done. So far we have had one tough teacher. But overall a great experience.

Posted May 18, 2013
This was our first year at Meadow View & we had a great experience. The teachers are genuine, and the while the class sizes are a little larger than we'd like, the school itself is nice & small. The principal does not seem to know the students by name, but she does make herself very available to parents - all you have to do is ask.

Posted April 23, 2013
I have three kids at MeadowView. Our experience has been excellent. The teaching staff is great and it obvious that they work together for success. Whenever we have had an issue, we bring it to their attention and it is addressed. I have always felt that they care for all of the students and their families. The VP could work on her bedside manner, but other than that, I love MeadowView and would recommend it to any family.

Meadow View Elementary School 4

Posted March 01, 2013
To the 1/20/13 review responding to 1/10/13 review: I did not write the 1/10/13 review, but please re-read it, as it appears that you misunderstood. The reviewer was indicating that CSAP scores for this school include those of special needs children, thus, the school is as at times at a disadvantage to other schools, who don't have a special needs program, tend to score higher. In regards to spelling, you typed "though" instead of "thought" when referring to "thought process". This is a very reasonable mistake but not a basis for a school review.

Meadow View Elementary School 2

Posted January 20, 2013
Wow, in response to the review posted on 1/10/13. I should guess that you are glad your kids go to a good school, but to knock kids with learning disabilities and think they don't belong in your child's public school? You spelled course wrong (coarse references the texture of something, your welcome). Needless to say, you sound like a complete snob and I would hope that the other parents of this school do not have the same though process as you do. Very glad I read the reviews before bidding on a home that feed to this school in the very old part of the Meadows.

Meadow View Elementary School
3700 Butterfield Crossing, Castle Rock, CO  80109
Last modified Meadow View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Meadow View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top