Castle Rock, CO

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
From our experience, it seems as though the teacher we had assigned quite a bit of independent work freeing her up to work with small groups (wouldn't meet with high achieving groups as regularly as those needing extra support- sometimes my child wouldn't meet with his teacher for reading instruction but 1 time a week!). Independent work was never looked at until graded and sent home as opposed to the teacher checking in with students while they are working to see they are completing assignments correctly and with the expectation that has been set.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
Character education would be a GREAT addition to this school's curriculum, but in our experience it was rather nonexistent. Our child was repeatedly bullied to the point where she didn't want to go to school. She's a completely different kid now that it's summer and she knows she will not be returning to this school (which is quite unfortunate given it's our neighborhood school and has a rather progressive philosophy which was a huge draw for us- too bad inexperienced teachers don't know how to effectively control their classroom and/or reach ALL of the learners (class sizes are big, so perhaps this is part of the problem)).

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 01, 2015
Many of the teachers are inexperienced and lack classroom management techniques and the ability to differentiate for students learning above grade level. Was told the learning specialist/RTI teacher would provide enrichment, but this never happens. Class sizes are quite large given the diverse learners within the classes.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 01, 2015
This is one area I felt this school has figured out. Daily reading was always the bulk of nightly homework with additional assignments given M-Th, but assigned on Monday and due on Friday so students could complete the other assignments as it fit best with their schedule.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Sage Canyon Elementary School 1

Posted July 01, 2015
My child was not challenged, discipline problems were evident in the classroom and within the school, there wasn't much follow-through with regards to academics and/or social issues. I would NOT recommend this school at all.

Posted March 31, 2015
I pulled my daughter out of the local charter school and put her at Sage Canyon. She was doing well at the charter but has blossomed at Sage. Her learning has gone thru the roof! She loves her class, teacher and going to school. I love the principal - she's a woman of integrity and humility and loves the kids and parents. She is not focused on mandatory testing and the standardized tests so you don't have to worry about teachers teaching to the test. I cant say enough about this school.

Posted November 24, 2014
We have been here over a month but we are really very happy here! The staff and even the other parents have been very friendly and welcoming, and the teachers in particular are so warm and caring toward the kids. I don't love company that they selected to run the after-school program so we may switch out if they don't get a bit better organized and engaged.My kids are absolutely thriving here! I really like the methods of communication (ie, apps and software. I can look online to see what kind of day my children are having), and the way that they challenge the kids to be engaged and learn about the class subjects.

Sage Canyon Elementary School 2

Posted August 03, 2013
I am so happy Sage Canyon is getting a new principal next year. It is about time!

Posted July 30, 2013
This school is amazing. I had kids in other schools and there is no comparison. Teachers and district employees try tp place their kids here.

2420 Autumn Sage St, Castle Rock, CO  80104
Last modified Sage Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sage Canyon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top