Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Sage Canyon Elementary School 5

Posted April 10, 2016
I have two children and we have been in three different elementary schools in Douglas County over the years. While one's experience with a school can be impacted by their child's classroom teacher, I caution judgment based on a single teacher. In comparison with other schools, many other teachers at other schools, and with other principals at other schools, Sage Canyon is a good school with good leadership. I have experienced nothing but solid communication with staff and the principal. My special needs son is thriving there, and finally getting his needs met. I have not experienced teachers sitting on lap tops all day and not engaging with their students. I can say from experience that each school has its strengths and weaknesses, and I can also say that Sage has many more strengths than I have experienced elsewhere in Castle Rock.

Posted March 04, 2016
I would not recommend this school to anyone. There is a complete lack of communication from the classroom to home, and from the school to home in general. I have had to supplement a great deal at home to ensure my child is educated properly because of the poor curriculum at this school. (I see that I am not the only parent having to do this!) Sadly, this school has proven to be a complete disappointment. The leadership and teachers are lacking in ability and skill to effectively educate and provide a learning environment that stimulates educational growth. If I could have pulled my child midyear from this school, I would have. I wish I would have known the poor quality of this school's education and staff before I enrolled.

Posted January 09, 2016
The issue seemed to be bullying. After spending more time helping out in the classroom, I realized bullying is a symptom of a larger issue. Disengaged teacher(s), district politics, and "independent" learning are the real cause of this school's problems. I thought my child was being bullied, but quickly realized there was little to no positive reinforcement. The teacher spends 75% of the school day on the laptop, while students are told to write about the day, read quietly amongst themselves, etc.. I have been forced to supplement education at home. Which is no problem, as I love to do homework with my LO. However, the school is inconsistent with their work load. Some is in a folder, some you have to proactively search (and I mean SEARCH) for online and some is emailed. There is no classroom or communication consistency. -5 stars

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
From our experience, it seems as though the teacher we had assigned quite a bit of independent work freeing her up to work with small groups (wouldn't meet with high achieving groups as regularly as those needing extra support- sometimes my child wouldn't meet with his teacher for reading instruction but 1 time a week!). Independent work was never looked at until graded and sent home as opposed to the teacher checking in with students while they are working to see they are completing assignments correctly and with the expectation that has been set.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
Character education would be a GREAT addition to this school's curriculum, but in our experience it was rather nonexistent. Our child was repeatedly bullied to the point where she didn't want to go to school. She's a completely different kid now that it's summer and she knows she will not be returning to this school (which is quite unfortunate given it's our neighborhood school and has a rather progressive philosophy which was a huge draw for us- too bad inexperienced teachers don't know how to effectively control their classroom and/or reach ALL of the learners (class sizes are big, so perhaps this is part of the problem)).

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 01, 2015
Many of the teachers are inexperienced and lack classroom management techniques and the ability to differentiate for students learning above grade level. Was told the learning specialist/RTI teacher would provide enrichment, but this never happens. Class sizes are quite large given the diverse learners within the classes.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 01, 2015
This is one area I felt this school has figured out. Daily reading was always the bulk of nightly homework with additional assignments given M-Th, but assigned on Monday and due on Friday so students could complete the other assignments as it fit best with their schedule.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
My child was not challenged, discipline problems were evident in the classroom and within the school, there wasn't much follow-through with regards to academics and/or social issues. I would NOT recommend this school at all.

Sage Canyon Elementary School 5

Posted March 31, 2015
I pulled my daughter out of the local charter school and put her at Sage Canyon. She was doing well at the charter but has blossomed at Sage. Her learning has gone thru the roof! She loves her class, teacher and going to school. I love the principal - she's a woman of integrity and humility and loves the kids and parents. She is not focused on mandatory testing and the standardized tests so you don't have to worry about teachers teaching to the test. I cant say enough about this school.

2420 Autumn Sage Street, Castle Rock, CO  80108
Last modified Sage Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.