Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

not engaged in the learning process at all

I have a child that has bought numerous concerns home in regards to a teacher that has used inappropriate language in the classroom directed at the students. I have emailed the teacher and she immediately responded acknowledging the concern. she said it was forwarded to the principal aND NEVER received a response back!!

I have two children and we have been in three different elementary schools in Douglas County over the years. While one's experience with a school can be impacted by their child's classroom teacher, I caution judgment based on a single teacher. In comparison with other schools, many other teachers at other schools, and with other principals at other schools, Sage Canyon is a good school with good leadership. I have experienced nothing but solid communication with staff and the principal. My special needs son is thriving there, and finally getting his needs met. I have not experienced teachers sitting on lap tops all day and not engaging with their students. I can say from experience that each school has its strengths and weaknesses, and I can also say that Sage has many more strengths than I have experienced elsewhere in Castle Rock.

I would not recommend this school to anyone. There is a complete lack of communication from the classroom to home, and from the school to home in general. I have had to supplement a great deal at home to ensure my child is educated properly because of the poor curriculum at this school. (I see that I am not the only parent having to do this!) Sadly, this school has proven to be a complete disappointment. The leadership and teachers are lacking in ability and skill to effectively educate and provide a learning environment that stimulates educational growth. If I could have pulled my child midyear from this school, I would have. I wish I would have known the poor quality of this school's education and staff before I enrolled.

The issue seemed to be bullying. After spending more time helping out in the classroom, I realized bullying is a symptom of a larger issue. Disengaged teacher(s), district politics, and "independent" learning are the real cause of this school's problems. I thought my child was being bullied, but quickly realized there was little to no positive reinforcement. The teacher spends 75% of the school day on the laptop, while students are told to write about the day, read quietly amongst themselves, etc.. I have been forced to supplement education at home. Which is no problem, as I love to do homework with my LO. However, the school is inconsistent with their work load. Some is in a folder, some you have to proactively search (and I mean SEARCH) for online and some is emailed. There is no classroom or communication consistency. -5 stars

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Many of the teachers are inexperienced and lack classroom management techniques and the ability to differentiate for students learning above grade level. Was told the learning specialist/RTI teacher would provide enrichment, but this never happens. Class sizes are quite large given the diverse learners within the classes.

Amount of homework: Agree

This is one area I felt this school has figured out. Daily reading was always the bulk of nightly homework with additional assignments given M-Th, but assigned on Monday and due on Friday so students could complete the other assignments as it fit best with their schedule.

Develops character: Disagree

Character education would be a GREAT addition to this school's curriculum, but in our experience it was rather nonexistent. Our child was repeatedly bullied to the point where she didn't want to go to school. She's a completely different kid now that it's summer and she knows she will not be returning to this school (which is quite unfortunate given it's our neighborhood school and has a rather progressive philosophy which was a huge draw for us- too bad inexperienced teachers don't know how to effectively control their classroom and/or reach ALL of the learners (class sizes are big, so perhaps this is part of the problem)).

My child was not challenged, discipline problems were evident in the classroom and within the school, there wasn't much follow-through with regards to academics and/or social issues. I would NOT recommend this school at all.

I pulled my daughter out of the local charter school and put her at Sage Canyon. She was doing well at the charter but has blossomed at Sage. Her learning has gone thru the roof! She loves her class, teacher and going to school. I love the principal - she's a woman of integrity and humility and loves the kids and parents. She is not focused on mandatory testing and the standardized tests so you don't have to worry about teachers teaching to the test. I cant say enough about this school.

Last modified Sage Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.