Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

I have some history with Douglas County (DC) Schools, in fact I garudated from Douglas County HS in 1983 (yes I'm an older parent...). First, the county is very affluent and fairly entitled. If you look at the news the school administrator and Board are primarily interested in getting a voucher system and privatize schools their highest agenda. Teachers are leaving in droves and many of the ones staying just don't care. Forward to the school. Sports are not well funded and the football program is abominable. At the beginning of the season you hear the usual 'we are here for the kids and making them into young men' drivel. But as you watch them, they don't care anymore about being successful. On the freshman team, all but one hang around an BS on the sideline, barely watching the game. At the last home game, DC parents were loudly mocking the coaches and rooting for the opposing team who thrashed us. Academically? At the beginning of the semester that had far more students show up than they planned for and moved kids. My son got moved into another Spanish class without being asked and missed a test that had been given before he was even there. It shows up as an F and neither the teacher nor administration even cares. Multiple attempts at asking are ignored. DC is simply a model of business people trying to move away from public schools and while doing so have no concern about the students currently in the system. Check out the news and this information will be validated by some research.

I have been a student in this school nearly my entire high school experience and I can full heartedly say that this is the worst school I have ever attended. The teaching at this school is a joke and none of the teachers actually care about you academically or emotionally. Needless to say, I am extremely excited to be moving soon and starting at a new school my senior year.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

On several occasions over 5 years, I have observed first hand the Administration behave like bullies.

Most of the teachers do very little in the classroom (there are a few exceptions who actually care and do their jobs). The IB program is a joke, with teachers put in classrooms they have no experience teaching and/or are outside of their educational training. Sports and extracurricular activities are overpriced and underperforming. The leadership is apathetic and unprofessional. I've had 3 children cheated out of an education and regret the decision to send them there. We won't make the same mistake with our 4th.

This school has world class Learning, sports, and activities. The teachers are superb and the school, while not fancy and shiny new, is a nice large school with plenty of room for everything. I'm very pleased my children are there, and I'm very happy with the education they are receiving.

My two kids went to this school and we lived by the rock. My daughter took some IB classes and received a scholarship and graduated from CSU last year. My son is in the Air Force. There is plenty of involvement for parents if they want to get involved. I was involved in DCHS Band and the After Prom Parties.

After one year at this high school, I believe there is an extreme amount of room for improvement. The staff and and administration are very unhelpful most of the time, and the classes are exceptionally easy. This school's main focus is on it's athletics, not it's academics. The students at this school harass each other constantly. This school is going down hill quickly. Compared to various other schools, Douglas County has a massive drug issue that should really be addressed. Students will smoke in "the alley" and the staff is aware but chooses to do nothing about it. No body at this school cares about the well-being of each other, and instead try to determine ways to be even more nasty to each other. I am not saying Castle View High School is better, but parents need to look into other options for high school if their main concern is academics and and the over health of their child.

This school is by far better than CV. I have been to both. I lasted until Winter Break at CV my Freshman year before transferring to DC. I am now a Junior. CV's academics and teachers are horrible. Don't send your child to CV if you want them to succeed in life. Go Huskies!!

Great Schools should post parents reviews together and student reviews in a different place. As a parent of a senior attending DCHS, I could not be happier with the administration and teachers. As a former teacher myself, I can distinguish a good teach from a not-so-good teacher. My daughter has been successful in athletics, academics and music at DCHS. There is a sense of tradition that you cannot get anywhere else! She has grown at this school and is ready to attend a top ranked university. This would not have been possible without the teachers, counselors, coaches, and administration of Douglas County High School. Kuddos Mr. Kappas for running such a wonderful school!

Douglas County High School is no place for a teenager to grow and learn. I am a junior attending DC and quite frankly, its a pathetic excuse of a community. None of the teachers care about you, neither academically nor personally. And the administration is the worst. For the sake of your child and his/her safety and well being, do not send your kid here. There is a disgusting, growing epidemic of drug abuse, lack of respect, and absolutely no support for the students. Nobody cares. No spirit. No love. They think they're some big "family" and it's literally a big joke. This school has hit rock bottom. They just won't admit it. There are too many students, and too many teachers and administrators that don't care. They ignore the fact that they're students are dying and failing and giving up. Everybody needs someone to depend on. And we'd like to believe that many students could find that support at school. But it's not here. This school is messed up on so many levels. My parents would rather me attend DC Oaks. DCHS is a pathetic excuse of a high school.

Last modified Douglas County High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.