Posted January 26, 2015
I am a parent with three students at Hopkins. It is our neighborhood school. I have a student with learning difficulties and a student who is in the gifted and talented programs. I feel that they both get their needs met at Hopkins. It is important to me that there is a social/emotional aspect to the curriculum at the school so that my kids needs are met on all levels. Hopkins is a caring and academically excellent community. Test scores have steadily improved since my oldest child came in Kindergarten and is now in 5th grade. I would recommend Hopkins to any parent asking about elementary schools in LPS!

Posted January 25, 2015
Our neighborhood school is Hopkins. We have been in the preschool program for four years and enrolled for our first year of kindergarten in 2014. My daughter's teacher, Mrs.Weidenaar, is amazing and my daughter is doing so well with writing, math and reading. I have found that all of the staff is supportive and that the teachers work as a team which seems to cross between all grade levels. My daughter loves all her teachers and that includes technology, library, music, PE and art. She is definitely receiving a well rounded education and it shows! I am sorry that other parents had to deal with bullying, I know that one of the goals of the school is to promote kindness. Maybe the program took some time to take, as some do. They have a special dean now that deals with all of these issues. My daughter had one problem, I emailed the teacher and when I checked in with my daughter she said she was not having anymore problems.

Hopkins Elementary School 4

Posted January 25, 2015
I have 3 children at this school since 2012. We were surprised that prior to 2010 test scores were 60% and since then have been in the 80%. Teachers are great, support staff gifted and special needs responds quickly and makes adjustments when needed. We are happy there and I honestly don't know what other parents are talking about with their comments of allowing bullying- the emphasis on positive behavior is a main reason why I chose this school and open enrolled here.

Posted January 24, 2015
Our family has been at Hopkins since 2009 and we have had a completely different experience than the parents who have given it such a low rating. We have nothing but positive things to say about Hopkins. The few times our children have run into problems with other students, the teachers, office staff and the principal were extremely supportive in helping our children resolve their issues. The staff is so amazing and truly get to know each child. That is able to happen with a smaller population. I really feel like the teachers and support staff have their finger on the pulse of each and every student. Never would I describe any of the staff members as tired and wanting to get out! In fact, there were over 300 applicants for the most recent teaching position. People want to be a part of this Hopkins community. The growth that Hopkins students have shown on test scores over the past few years has been tremendous. We are above the district average in many categories. Good things are happening at Hopkins and we feel so grateful to be a part of it.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 22, 2014
My children open enrolled in Hopkins but the past couple years since they got a new principal the school allows bullying, the principal response to sexual talk has been appalling, he has poor communication and scheduling, I have a student in the 5th grade and we are celebrating the day he goes to middle school. My other child at Hopkins will not be attending in the fall. Such a disappointment.

Posted November 01, 2013
I am a current parent at Hopkins and I am looking to leave the school. The principal refuses to make the necessary disciplinary changes and because of this, bullying and harassment continue to be a big issue. My child comes home and tells me about the day and I am appalled. I cannot believe that a school that was once so great could fall so fast. I feel sorry for the teachers and staff because I believe they are not allowed to deal with these situations they way they want. The principal has effectively ruined this school. Hopefully LPS will realize this and get a new principal in there ASAP. I know that we are not waiting for that day. As soon as I can get my children enrolled in another school we will leave. We are very sad, as this used to be a great little neighborhood school.

Posted October 30, 2013
Mark Hopkins was probably one of the best schools in the district. Then a new principle came in a has effectively destroyed all moral in the school. Teachers are pitted against each other. Bullying is rampant and they do little to help the issue.

Posted May 18, 2013
I have had one to two kids enrolled at Hopkins since 2009, and I can't say enough good things about this school. The teachers were caring and were always willing to go the extra mile whenever either of my children had a problem. They're both smart kids, too, and they've definitely been adequately challenged. We are moving soon and will miss Hopkins tremendously! I feel very lucky that both of my children had their educational foundation here.

Posted April 17, 2013
Hopkins used to be a great school but it has gone down hill. The school allows bullying and rarely helps the students solve the issues. The teachers are tired and want to leave. Very dissapointed.

Posted April 06, 2011
I am the mother that just wrote the last review. I accidentally rated it a 3 when I meant to rate it a 5.

Hopkins Elementary School
7171 South Pennsylvania Street, Centennial, CO  80122
Last modified Hopkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hopkins Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top