Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I had really high hopes for this school when we had the welcome night, however our experience with our child there has been quite disappointing. Our son is in kindergarten there and there is severe lack of communication. Very sad because I really wanted to like this school. Our middle child is going into kindergarten soon, and I do not want to enroll him here. Basically anywhere but here.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teacher efficacy is really spotty. Some are awesome. Some are awful. Pretty much your standard selection.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework isn't routinely collected in my childrens' classes. I don't see the point of assigning homework but failing to hold students responsible for returning it.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Sandburg doesn't really allow for kids to make mistakes. If your child makes a mistake, the staff automatically assumes they are at fault when the next issue arises.

At first, our experience at Sandburg was pretty good. Our kids vary from gifted to special needs, and it was nice that they could be in the same place and both be happy and successful. Then, things changed there. Both of my kids have had bully problems, with absolutely zero resolution. The principal makes promises she doesn't keep when it comes to helping with bullying. Nothing is done. My children continue to come home sobbing, have called me numerous times throughout the day, and feel horrible about going to school. Needless to say, we are looking for another school.

Sandburg is an excellent school. The staff is caring, professional and skilled in education. Children with accelerated learning ability are identified and provided the opportunity to learn at a pace that challenges them. My daughters were both identified as gifted and talented and moved into appropriate programs quickly. One of my daughters was placed into the next grade level of math so that she would be challenged at a level appropriate for her. As an involved parent, this type of proactive attention to my children's individual learning needs is exactly what I need from a school, and Sandburg meets this need fully. The principal at this school is an excellent leader, hard-working, and takes pride in excellence. There is an atmosphere of respect and bullying is not tolerated. This school is a true gem in South Denver metro.

Sanburg was an enormous disappointment, not only as a school and a particular teacher but the principal was one of the worst we as a family have ever run across. I hear she is still there and I feel sorry for the families and kids who are and have attended there. Bullying is a major problem and administration especially the principal in incapable of resolving any issues. She is also inept at addressing staff issues when there was a teacher there with clear problems that effects the kids in such a negative/harmful way. This was one of the worst public school experiences in my 18 years as a parent! Run away!

I attended this school from kindergarten to 2nd grade. It was *horrible*. I can't stress this enough. First of all, the principal was horrible. I got severely bullied, and what did she do? Absolutely nothing. I had very bad second grade teacher who yelled at my class for doing nothing and pounded her fists on her desks. I was extremely sensitive at this age, so I came home crying every single day. My friend got punched in 2nd grade, told the principal, and made him apologize to the person who punched him. Whatever you do, DON'T go to this school. I beg you.

My oldest son went to Sandburg for three years, and my youngest is now in 4th grade and has been there 4 years. I can't say enough about the school, teachers, and administration. Having two very bright boys, I can vouch for the fact that Sandburg does a lot to foster a solid education. The positive behavior model is such a wonderful concept. The science program is outstanding. The principal and her dedication- the PTO- all wonderful!!

This is a high quality school with excellent teachers, a dedicated principal, community and parent involvement. Our two children started there in kindergarten, and have had excellent experiences.

Last modified Sandburg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.