Centennial, CO

Posted July 09, 2014
Sandburg is an excellent school. The staff is caring, professional and skilled in education. Children with accelerated learning ability are identified and provided the opportunity to learn at a pace that challenges them. My daughters were both identified as gifted and talented and moved into appropriate programs quickly. One of my daughters was placed into the next grade level of math so that she would be challenged at a level appropriate for her. As an involved parent, this type of proactive attention to my children's individual learning needs is exactly what I need from a school, and Sandburg meets this need fully. The principal at this school is an excellent leader, hard-working, and takes pride in excellence. There is an atmosphere of respect and bullying is not tolerated. This school is a true gem in South Denver metro.

Posted April 13, 2014
Sanburg was an enormous disappointment, not only as a school and a particular teacher but the principal was one of the worst we as a family have ever run across. I hear she is still there and I feel sorry for the families and kids who are and have attended there. Bullying is a major problem and administration especially the principal in incapable of resolving any issues. She is also inept at addressing staff issues when there was a teacher there with clear problems that effects the kids in such a negative/harmful way. This was one of the worst public school experiences in my 18 years as a parent! Run away!

Posted April 12, 2014
I attended this school from kindergarten to 2nd grade. It was *horrible*. I can't stress this enough. First of all, the principal was horrible. I got severely bullied, and what did she do? Absolutely nothing. I had very bad second grade teacher who yelled at my class for doing nothing and pounded her fists on her desks. I was extremely sensitive at this age, so I came home crying every single day. My friend got punched in 2nd grade, told the principal, and made him apologize to the person who punched him. Whatever you do, DON'T go to this school. I beg you.

Posted October 10, 2012
My oldest son went to Sandburg for three years, and my youngest is now in 4th grade and has been there 4 years. I can't say enough about the school, teachers, and administration. Having two very bright boys, I can vouch for the fact that Sandburg does a lot to foster a solid education. The positive behavior model is such a wonderful concept. The science program is outstanding. The principal and her dedication- the PTO- all wonderful!!

Posted December 20, 2010
This is a high quality school with excellent teachers, a dedicated principal, community and parent involvement. Our two children started there in kindergarten, and have had excellent experiences.

Posted May 03, 2009
My son has been at Sandburg for 2 years and has received nothing but love, patience, and good direction in his time there. At the beginning of 1st grade, he was at the bottom of his class academically, but has since blossomed and skyrocketed into a new world of learning thanks to teachers like Mrs. Davenport and Mrs. Abrams. They have worked with him to the point that he can now read where he could not before. I have read some other reviews where the parents were less than happy, but that has not been our experience. My son had some behavior issues in Kindergarten, but with the love of Mrs. Merkel and Mrs. Miera, he was able to overcome and grow within himself and not lose his identity in the process. Moving to Cherry Knolls and enrolling him in Sandburg was the best move I ever made for my son.

Posted April 09, 2009
AS 1st posting noted the school is very weak with discipline and bullying is a severe problem that is not appropriately addressed. We are now looking for another school as our son is not safe as this school.

Posted October 27, 2008
We continue to enjoy Sandburg. They really put the kids love of learning first, from preschool to preparing well for middle school. The Gifted/Talented program is integral in meeting our kids needs and the teachers have been kind and creative in helping deal with one child's learning challenges. We really value the warm and caring community that results from a forward thinking principal and staff forging a bond with our very active parent community. The current commitment campaign which replaces a zillion small fundraisers is even titled -Kids at the Heart of Sandburg. Kudos.

Posted October 14, 2008
Two of my children have graduated from Sandburg and two still attend. It is a wonderful school with very caring, gifted teachers and staff.

Sandburg Elementary School 2

Posted August 12, 2008
Sandburg is a good school if you have a child with no learning issues. My daughter has a bit of dyslexia and we have had a hard time getting help. When we finally discovered our daughter had a learning disability we had to fight with Sandburg to get them to help. They finally offered special help but we would have to wait for 6 months. Once a student does something wrong the teachers are quick to scrutinize that student and single them out anytime there is a problem. I would not recommend Sandburg

Sandburg Elementary School
6900 South Elizabeth St, Centennial, CO  80122
Last modified Sandburg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandburg Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top