Bad
Good

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

It's obviously very challenging to juggle children of different abilities while reinforcing a curriculum. From what I have observed, the school tries very hard. In reading for example, the children work on iPad programs that are tailored to their level.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school reinforces it's values by issuing HAWK stickers when they catch kids exhibiting values core values. This is sporadic positive reinforcement and the kids love it!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I had the opportunity to volunteer a couple of times - my child's teacher was on point. Her mastery of the room and helping each child to be involved was inspiring.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

As a kindergartner, my daughter receives homework once a week. In higher grades, they receive more.

My daughter attends here and loves being a Homestead Hawk. No doubt that this is an affluent area and the school reflects that. High academic expectations and great parent involvement. The art that comes home is fantastic. My daughter's reading has improved dramatically. I love that they don't do a lot of fundraisers throughout the year - they just ask for a donation up front.

The staff at the school are rude and condescending. There is nearly no difference in the way they treat the kindergartners and the fifth graders. The school staff is very stuck up and snobbish with a couple exceptions. Unfortunately the more nourishing and caring teachers tended to be few and far between throughout the school.

This school does not deserve the rating that it currently holds(9). You must be lucky if you got your child to study under an experienced teacher for that grade. This school started rotating teachers between the grades. That's a good thing for the school and the teachers and probably even for the kids in the long run. But since they just started, not every teacher is able to handle their subjects right. I am so surprised that they don't spend enough time with the kids to cover the subjects for their grades. I am the one sitting and teaching my kids even basics. Whenever i see test results, i find many questions which my kids mentions that he never remembers teacher teaching them. We are just frustrated. It's just an average school. I request parents not to have high expectations.

My granddaughter attended Homestead 1st-5th and my daughter and I loved the school as did my granddaughter. The teachers were wonderful, helpful and all seem to love teaching. We went back for fall festivals years after she went on to middle school and helped during the summer science camps. The teachers were always glad to see how the kids had grown and asked about how they were doing. I always enjoyed going there. It is a wonderful school.

We have had a very positive experience at Homestead for all three of our children. All three are different learners but all are successful students. Teachers are great, a lot of parent/community support, and principal is very dedicated. Overall, I couldn't ask for a better school for my children.

I would like to post a negative comment & not be accused of writing multiple comments. The reviewer below seems to think that her overall positive experience means that no one can hold a negative opinion. That is one of the problems with this school- a "we have to all be the same mentality". People have different opinions and children are different in terms of culture, learning styles, etc. I think the school in general whether it is the teachers, principal or curriculum tends to be geared to one type of child. If your child doesn't fit into that mold, they don't really have alternative teaching approaches. It is quite limited in my opinion. There appears to be an anti-bullying philosophy, but the techniques taught to deal with bullying are completely worthless. There was a big bullying problem at Homestead last year. A portion of last year's 5th grade class had to take special classes on bullying because the problem was so pervasive. I'm sure the parents of the 5th grade kids that were bullied have multiple opinions based on the inadequacy of the school to make every child feel welcome & have a sense of belonging. SHAME ON HOMESTEAD AND THE PARENTS THAT PERPETUATE THE PROBLEM.

Last modified Homestead Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.