Walnut Hills Community Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 429 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 27, 2014

I transferred my two children to Walnut Hills from another school in the Cherry Creek school district almost 3 years ago. Now that I have had enough time to look back and reflect, I can honestly say it was the best decision. Walnut Hills is not only giving my children an excellent education, but an environment filled with warmth and a community atmosphere of togetherness. I truly believe this school is a rare treasure. All my children's teachers have been approachable in every way, and the principle is available and involved when needed. My sixth grader was more than prepared for middle school and is taking advanced classes. My third grader is thriving in all subjects and wants to join every club she can. I would recommend this school to anyone who is unhappy with their home school for any reason.

Posted February 26, 2014

We Choiced into Walnut Hills from another CC School and it was the very best decision we made for our boys. The teachers and staff are all very compassionate and go above and beyond for the kids. Very strong PTCO. My boys were very prepared for Middle School and are excelling in all subjects. For six years, we drove 10 miles one way to be in this school. We would do it all over if we could.

Posted April 23, 2013

Wish I could give 5 stars, and I would have last year. I wish there had been other choices for Kindergarten teacher. This teacher comes across very short with parents and grumpy with kids. Hoping we get an awesome 1st grade teacher like we are used to from this school! Otherwise this school is terrific. (Mostly) great teachers, great support staff, great PTCO. My other child is flourishing.

Posted February 28, 2013

Not happy at all with my son's Kindergarten experience, moving to another school. Teachers don't work with children based on individuality

Posted August 12, 2012

This is an excellent school. I love the teachers that my daughter has had so far. We moved to this neighborhood so we could be in this schools "home school" range. A downside to the school; this is kind of a wealthier neighborhood, and this school seems to expect every family to be wealthy. It seems like they are wanting money for something or another every month. Not that it is "required" but way to make your kid feel left out when you can't afford to do all these things that their friends are getting to do. Other than that, we love this school.

Posted April 27, 2012

Walnut Hills is an absolutely wonderful school. The children are respected and treated as individuals. We have had an amazing experience here. Our children are taught to love to learn. There is community involvement and parent interaction as well as field trips and creative learning styles. It is a terrific school.

Posted April 26, 2012

We have never felt so welcomed in a school environment quite like this! We adore every single teacher in that school. Our daughter thrives and looks forward to going to school every day! We love Walnut Hills so much we decided to buy a home in the community to raise our daughter and future children!

Posted April 5, 2012

We could not be more thrilled with Walnut Hills--we love it! The teachers are outstanding. I love that the art and music programs are so strong. The office staff, teachers and support staff were all incredibly welcoming. Your child will really be valued as an individual here--my children have really blossomed in this supportive environment. Really can't say enough about it--so grateful that my children go to this wonderful school!

Posted April 4, 2011

Our son has been in the school for the last 4 years. Over this time, I have seen the school trending downwards rather than upwards. We have noticed that the office has become catty over the years. In addition, many of the really great teachers are moving on (mostly retirement, but some have simply moved to a different school). Basically, a lot of politics is starting entering into the school. Sad. It is not a bad school, but I think that it is no longer a GREAT school either. Average to just above average. I am also guessing that CSAPs this year will be done. Again.

Posted October 26, 2010

we have just moved to the states from europe. the welcome we received from walnut hills, the support, the encouragement and genuine friendship have been amazing. my 4 year old attends their pre-school and my 7 year old is in grade 3. the teachers are motivated, enthusiastic and positive about each child. we used to be in a british private school but have found the academic standard, facilities, quality of staff and support far above what we experienced in europe. i drive 10 miles to school everyday but will continue to do so with conviction and a huge smile!

Posted May 2, 2010

I couldn't be happier that Walnut Hills is our 'home' school. It has fabulous teachers and a challenging curriculum. Our child loves going to school there, when we had some bullying issues the principal handled them fairly and my child has told me about how he has learned to handle tough situations through the anti-bullying lessons they learn at school. I have yet to meet a teacher or staff member I don't adore. The staff is great to the children! The teachers really care about the kids and their education! If you are looking for a great Elementary School...give Walnut Hills a look!

Posted April 13, 2010

This is a hidden jewell. The facilities, the teachers, and the programs are great. Parents and teacher are involved, and the result is great education. Parents are welcomed. Staff is friendly and interested always.

Posted October 5, 2009

The teachers and staff hands down are the best around!

Posted October 5, 2009

We love Walnut Hills so much that I drive my kids 20 minutes each way, and we have a school within walking distance of our home. Walnut Hills has a warm community atmosphere and wonderful teachers and staff!

Posted October 4, 2009

The teachers at Walnut Hills really care about each child's individual success. Our school has a ELA program, a great bully-free program and involved parents.

Posted August 30, 2008

We moved from PA to CO. My daughter started kindergarten. I have a son in 6th grade. This school was a great option since the ones in our neighborhood are on the tracs. I wanted their school schedules to be the same. Wow, I was so impressed with the helpfulness of everyone. My daughter is doing the enrichment and the after care (Cougar Club). She loves it all. I especially liked that the kindergarten teacher (Mrs. Poole) came to our home to meet us and spend time with my daughter. She made the transition so much easier. Kudos for a great public school and dedicated staff.

Posted August 24, 2008

I have two children, a son (10) starting 5th grade, and a daughter (9) starting 4th grade. Both of my kids have gone to Walnut Hills since Kindergarten. I give the school the highest marks possible in all areas except for some bully proofing issues and the lack of response from the principal. However, 'King Paul' and the entire teaching staff are some of the NICEST people you will ever meet, and also very gifted educators. They have a passion for teaching and a true interest in (your) child, and their success. I consider Walnut Hills Elementary to be a true blessing to my family. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another school of this calibre. We, too, appreciate the focus on arts, music and other Plus Time activities. This staff works very hard, and their efforts show in the success in each childs' life they touch.

Posted June 9, 2006

Our daughter has been at Walnut Hills for 2 years, and we absolutely love it. The school has an energy unlike any school we've been involved with. They celebrate the arts as well as academics, and they truly give every child a chance to thrive regardless of his or her strengths. Our daughter has never expressed any hesitation to get up and go to school each day. To a parent, that means a lot.

Posted March 1, 2006

We can't say enough about our neighborhood school! The teachers, principal and staff are all wonderful educators! They provide a caring, respectful and fun environment to learn in. The school has a community feeling to it and the parents are very involved. We moved away for a while for economic reasons, but moved back to this neighborhood because of the quality of education our children were provided with. Great resources are always available, the plus time classes are fun and enriching, the math program is awesome, music, library, computers are all top notch and the teachers are outstanding!We would highly recommend this school!

Posted January 28, 2006

This was an outstanding school for my son. It uses a Multiple Intelligences approach, with an emphasis on arts integration. He was able to pursue music, and there were innovative learning modalities used (for example, they piloted a program called 'stand-up math' which the kids loved). There was an atomsphere of positive regard amongst the entire school community, with humor used instead of shaming and blaming. There is a strong anit-bullying component, which helped the students feel safe and supported. The principal is outstanding, as is the staff. There is low staff turn-over and the English Language Acquisition program gives it more than average diversity. One year my son was there, the entire school performed a musical called 'Choices Count' which was a wonderful character development piece, but was also musically fun for the kids. My son (now in middle school), still recalls some of the words and their message.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Female93%

Students without disabilities75%
Proficient in English71%
Neither migrant nor immigrant73%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8195 East Costilla Blvd