Colorado Springs, CO

Rockrimmon Elementary School 2

Posted January 16, 2015
I'm going to start off on a positive note. The parents really do a lot, to make this school better for the children. I've been at this school for three years. This year, I have seen a big change. A lot of people have negative things to say about some of the teachers and principal. The first two years we loved this school. Our teachers were great. Thoughtful and you could tell they really cared, and liked being a teacher. This year we got a teacher, that doesn't put much effort into teaching the kids the lessons. She also stricks me as a person that doesn't like her job anymore. I've made several complaints along with other parents. I've made them to the principal, as well. I keep getting the same old thing, "our school is wonderful, our teachers are the best." She is just so proud of them! I agree,there are some terrific teachers. But there are also some that need to retire or be fired.I find myself at night, teaching my child how to do math and spelling. I will no longer be here next year, as my children will all be Iin middle school. I hope the new principal, will do a better job. Not only listening to parents, but making sure the teachers are doing their job.

Posted January 08, 2015
Great school,and teachers. Great IB school too! We love this school. Our child is thriving here and we feel very happy and non stressed about our decision to choice our child in.

Posted November 21, 2014
Rockrimmon Elementary is a fantastic school. The teachers are great and the principal really cares. The school is safe and small. The school website offers all the communication and dates, which is good because there are tons of thighs going on at the school on a weekly basis. There are many clubs before and after school, and the IB program offers many opportunities for the children to participate. The PTO offers help for children who need help paying for field trips or needed supplies. As for the parent who complained about the Keurig coffee machine in the teachers lounge, the teacher's pay for their own coffee. If you choose this school, your child will not slip through the cracks because the teachers track the progress of each student on a weekly basis. I have had no problems communicating with my child 's teacher throughout the years at Rockrimmon. my child has had some issues and the teachers, counselor, and principal were very supportive. Rockrimmon is a great school!

Posted November 02, 2014
I am going to agree with some of the other parents on here. There is a huge lack of communication at this school. The teachers are not telling parents about the things going on at school. I have to call on a weekly basis to ask about test scores. I don't think this is something a parent should have to do. I have spoken with the principal about this, and she doesn't see any problems with her school or teachers. I will also say, there is a lot of paying for supplies at this school,as well. I don't mind helping with my child, but somethings like printer paper, staplers, and red grading pens should be the districts part. Something else I didn't take into account, is the school is Common Core. It seems like the teachers themselves have issues with understanding it themselves, let alone telling my child how to do it. Over all, I don't think we will be back next year. I'm checking into another district.

Posted October 24, 2014
I am so sorry the previous poster had such a bad experience with the school. It is always discouraging when you don't feel that your kids are getting what they need. Gratefully, we have had an awesome experience at Rockrimmon Elementary! This is our second year at the school and the teachers have gone above and beyond to meet our children's needs. I am amazed at the high level of learning and the deep commitment of the teachers we have met. The principal creates a warm and caring environment and there are many opportunities for extra activates. We love IB and the school seems to avoid letting testing get in the way of learning. They partner with the parents in our kids learning. My kids love going to school each day!

Posted October 23, 2014
This school is not what it seems. From the outside it looks quaint, but it's a bunch of teachers half butting their way through the day. A principal that doesn't seem to care. I've spent over $500 donating to this school for supplies for my child. Pto keeps hounding everyone for more money. An I've seen a KERIUG coffee machine with a cupboard full of the cups. So much time is spent on hounding the kids about Rise, when maybe the teachers and principal should reacquaint themselves with the meaning!! I've pulled my two girls out and switched to a new school. I will say, I've talked to a good many people and it looks like this school is on a down hill slide. I'm so glad we caught this when we did.

Rockrimmon Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
Rockrimmon Elementary has a great sense of community. Being a small school it feels like you are part of a family and not just another parent of some nameless child. We have had some great teachers and we have had one mediocre teacher. I think it all depends on your child and what that child needs. When I have had concerns the administrators have listened and helped resolve them. It appears that there will be some changes in the administration in the next few years and I hope that it does not affect the school negatively.

Posted March 06, 2014
My son started kindergarten at Rockrimmon last year. We absolutely love this school. The teachers are professional but fun- they really know how to engage the kids. For example, each year the kindergarten class goes on a gingerbread man hunt throughout the school, so that they are familiar with the layout of the building and get to know all the staff. Recently the first grade class dug clay and made homemade bricks as part of a unit on building materials. The varied approach they take to teaching means that all types of learners get what they need. The IB program incorporates RISE behaviors (respect, integrity, safety, and empathy) throughout the curriculum. I like that beyond teaching academics, this school emphasizes being a good human being. The students are motivated to exhibit RISE behaviors through creative rewards, like being allowed to have a class "pajama day" or an extra PE session. The school itself is quite small, and I like that it's tucked away in a residential area. There's no through traffic, and the school really emphasizes safety. There's so much more I want to write but can't due to the space constraints! I would 100% recommend this school.

Posted January 14, 2014
Here's something I never thought to consider: In their last school, the kids were given UNLIMITED time to complete tests in school. Here, there are 2 days set aside for TIMED tests. Regardless of how much the teachers & administration say that it's NOT timed, BOTH my girls came home almost in hysterics because they were NOT expecting that and missed many questions while they were reeling to figure out what happened & what to do. So, tell me how they are expected NOT to do poorly? In 4 months, my eldest has changed from being excited to going to school to not much caring. They have killed any LOVE or excitement for learning. The TAG teacher is ridiculously strict and the program was even confusing to ME, the parent! Situations where "red flags" should have been thrown up to have me brought in weren't ever done or considered. The teacher is downright horrible & we were promised that she would still be tracked for Middle School TAG. Then a few months later, we got the note that the TAG teacher had been replaced for this semester. I assume that now my daughter is no longer someone that will be "tracked", if they were even going to.

Rockrimmon Elementary School 2

Posted September 13, 2013
Although Rockrimmon teachers seem to be highly qualified, loving, caring professionals they are functioning at a high stress level. I heard a lot of yelling at students while visiting the school in the afternoon. Leadership seems to focus on cheerleading as opposed to appreciating the commitment and quiet dedication of hardworking and experienced staff members. Due to internal restructuring, teachers are worried about the stability of their positions. Something wacky is going on there! I'm so glad I pulled my child out and moved him to a more stable environment this year!

Rockrimmon Elementary School
194 West Mikado Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80919
Last modified Rockrimmon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rockrimmon Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top