Colorado Springs, CO

Posted September 25, 2014
This school honestly changed my life, and the majority of students who go here and actually graduate will say the same thing. I came to Aspen Valley at the beginning of my junior year in October of 2011, and graduated in May of 2014. There are only about 100 kids, give or take some, at a time. That's part of what makes it great. Your teachers and principals know you on a personal level, and treat you like a human being. And as soon as you come, you'll be welcomed with open arms. It's a great place for students who don't fit in at a "normal" school, or who have fallen behind in their first couple years of high school. Aspen will pick you up, build your confidence, and show you how to succeed. Don't worry about the stigma that comes with going to an alternative school. Now that I've graduated, no one cares where I went, although I'm proud to say AVHS. Having a diploma is all that matters. I've already landed a great job and could go to any college that I have good enough grades for. Aspen teaches you how to believe in yourself, something you're not going to get at most high schools. You'll come away with an amazing education, wonderful life-long friends, and a new family :)

Aspen Valley High School 4

Posted December 06, 2012
This is a very good school for students who are falling behind in credits, but maybe not the place for a student who is lacking basic academic skills. Double math and English classes help ensure students meet graduation requirements. Most of the teachers update grades promptly, and they stay on top of missing assignments. The faculty, staff, and principal are very engaged with each student on a personal level, which is great. If your student is lacking in academic skills,though, this might not be a good fit. Because the school is small, they have limited class options and no special ed (which they are very up-front about). Any class grade below 70% is an OFFICIAL F and you will NOT receive credit for the class. My son was placed in two math classes that were way over his head. Now, instead of getting Cs and Ds, he gets Ds...which are really Fs, so he has officially failed several classes, and will have to take summer school. I'm afraid he is sinking quickly, and I don't know if it's due to laziness or lack of ability. It's possible the extra help and accountability will help him pull himself up. Overall, it does seem like a good school, with caring people and a solid program.

Posted February 08, 2010
My son a junior at Aspen Valley just completed the English placement exam at college and scored above class level. According to the testing center, statistics indicate nearly half of high school graduates fail to score high enough to enter college level English. Something is working at Aspen Valley.

Aspen Valley High School 4

Posted February 05, 2010
If it wasn't for this school I'm afraid my daughter would not have graduated. She couldn't cope in a traditional school environment, and thusly enrolled her here. Not only were the teachers the greatest, but really seemed to care about each student and encouraged them to be their very best. Small class sizes did help as did the community college program. My daughter did so well she graduated early, which in itself speaks volumes for the school

Posted August 06, 2008
I am a graduated student of Aspen Valley, and I highly recommend this school. At first, I was on the fence about attending the school because of all of the rumors people very wrongly create about the school. They say it's a school for 'bad' kids, or chalk full of bad influences, and down right nasty people, but it's the opposite. The teachers don't treat you like another number, where as in a larger public school, with larger classes, that is all you are. At Aspen, you're not only a student, but a friend, and you are treated with respect, and like an adult, to help you prepare for life outside of highschool. The program, and requirements are perfectly planned out. They require certain grades, and out-of-school things like CRP training, and college classes, to really help get the students out in the real world without our parents to hold our hands. I went from F's and D's in another D20 school, to Aspen Valley, and not only graduated with A's, but with a new found sense of self awareness, less insecurity about life, less anxiety, and more motivation to learn, live, and make good decisions in my life. I, like many of the student in Apsen went because we needed the smaller environment, not because of bad choices, or being bad kids, merely because we needed the attention and respect from our educators that larger public schools lack, and frankly, Apsen Valley was the best decision of my life thus far. I applied a scared girl, afraid of the world, and graduated a self-assured, educated woman.

Posted October 09, 2007
- a former student

Posted November 20, 2006
Our son is now attending Aspen Valley as a junior. He went from straight F's last year in a regular school to straight A's & 1 B this year at Aspen Valley. I love this school! They figured out how to help kids that don't learn the 'traditional' way. This school has been a gift to our child. This is NOT a school for drop-outs & 'bad' kids but for kids that need a different way of learning. The teachers REALLY do care about what is going on. That fact makes a big difference. Each child is known by all the staff and is available to talk to or to get help from. The smaller classroom size as well as school enrollment of around 100 helps. Thank you Aspen Valley staff & D20 - this school is doing something right and it is for the kids!

Posted September 19, 2006
Aspen Valley has been a great experience for us. It has been exactly what our child needed. Small environment and class sizes and teachers who care and make a difference in these kids life's.

Aspen Valley High School
1450 Chapel Hills Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80920
Last modified Aspen Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aspen Valley High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top