Colorado Springs, CO

The Colorado Springs School 2

Posted July 27, 2015
I would not recommend CSS. My daughter attended CSS from kindergarten till March 2015 (4th grade). I am not a strong advocate of transferring a child during the school year. Unfortunately, my daughter was coming home from school on a regular basis in tears due to inappropriate behavior. The inappropriate language, the mean girl behavior etc. was not going away. On a daily basis, she kept waiting for the "proverbial shoe" to drop. It got old and was severely impacting her physically, emotionally and intellectually. She had not wanted to return to CSS for either 3rd or 4th grade. Looking back, I should have listened and transferred her earlier. As a family we did our best to resolve the issues- going so far as meeting with the teacher, school administration and school counselor. We as a family were very involved in the school and did our best to support it. Full paying tuition, annual campaign donor, supported the school fund raisers and events, helped with promoting admission drives, Girl Scouts (one year as assistant troop leader). In the end, we voted with our feet and transferred to St. Paul's Catholic School. She now feels safe and secure. Academically, we find it more rigorous and accountable. Guess what? Two of her friends from CSS had transferred to the 4th grade as well (one the end of 3rd grade and one in November of 4th grade). One of her friends transferred out in first grade for similar reasons.

The Colorado Springs School 1

Posted April 23, 2015
Once again CSS has instilled in the faculty a distrust in the administration. We had hoped this would go away with a new administration. Perhaps the culprit is not the administration, but a country club mindset board of directors. Heaven help any teacher who is not perceived to be from the same ersatz cloth as the board. And heaven help any faculty member who has to be honest with another CSS faculty member about the misdeeds of his or her child. Oops, did I use honesty and CSS in the same sentence?

The Colorado Springs School 2

Posted April 29, 2014
My kids will have attended CSS through 3 Heads of School, 4 if you count the interim. We have been supportive parents, and paid tuition with little assistance. There are certainly many families with much greater means. I have always kept in the back of my mind that the "tail wags the dog" when decisions are made at CSS. Unfortunately the line between board and faculty has been blurred to the point that the tail of the dog has become more than just those who write the checks. The faculty members I am close with feel the same way. If not for the attachments my kids have with peers and with teachers, we would move on.

Posted February 17, 2014
CSS is an excellent school that has helped our son develop on multiple levels. The opportunities are unparalleled and the academics are very strong. Of course such a focus on achievement comes with a lot of sacrifice - kids have to work hard, parents have to become heavily involved, there is a financial sacrifice too ... but for the right child and the right family the reward is an excellent education and opportunity to do pretty much anything they want in life. There are many good educational options in the Pikes Peak area and most don't require the same level of commitment as CSS so this school isn't for everyone but if you're prepared to dream big and make the necessary sacrifices this school is worth it.

Posted November 20, 2013
This is an amazing school. My kids are in their 11th year at CSS, and we feel so fortunate to have found this wonderful place. They have been challenged and engaged, and CSS has given them the love of learning. Experiential learning is a hallmark of the CSS education and my kids have travelled with their classes beginning in the first grade. As high school students, they have travelled and studied in Ireland, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Florida, and Peru. The school community is very close knit and parents can be involved at many levels. The faculty are outstanding. I would not send my kids to any other school.

Posted November 15, 2013
My daughters have attended CSS for 11 years since preschool. They thrive here as independent thinkers taught by strong teacher mentors. We chose CSS because of the multitude of experiences they offer. My girls excel academically, are in theater productions twice a year, play a variety of sports, participate in before and after school clubs such as archery, play in the band, go on experiential learning trips such as photography seminars in New Mexico, take field trips to a lab at the local hospital, have in-class presentations by inventors, authors, artists, doctors, lawyers - people who can share real-world experiences with them. All of this is in preparation for yes, college but more so for life. I want my children to be leaders and have a thirst for knowledge. This is the path that my children are on at CSS.

Posted November 15, 2013
My 3 children have attended CSS for 11 years. It has been our best choice for our family and every penny has been worth it. My children have flourished academically, as responsible individuals, in the arts and in their sports. Small class room sizes are excellent and the extra personal attention is valuable as the academics are rigorous. The campus is one of the most beautiful sights in Colorado Springs and has much history as it was previously an estate, settled in a well established and highly valued real estate neighborhood. At the younger grades, they receive excellent instruction and are exposed to many areas of learning with many learning experiences outside of the classroom and field trips around Colorado. At the higher levels, the academic preparation for college is excellent. One of the unsung values of this school is the college admissions counselor who works with every child to find the right college for them and assist in every detail in getting them to that college, with the added bonus of assisting in obtaining scholarship and grant money. Last year, he assisted the graduating class of of less than 30 in receiving over 2 million in scholarship money.

Posted November 15, 2013
When we interviewed at CSS for kindergarten, I was so nervous. Being a middle class family, I felt that we weren't going to be "good enough" for the school. We were accepted and once my daughter started school, we felt like a part of the family and have never stopped feeling that way in the 8 years she has attended CSS. I could talk about all the great things about CSS classes and teachers, but many of the other parents have already done that for me! Instead, I want to encourage parents that think they may not be able to afford it, to look into CSS. Trust me, you find a way to make it work because these are the most important years of your children's lives. CSS is worth the money! The children learn to respect adults, and peers alike. My daughter explored different sports and finally found the one she liked. The arts/theatre department is amazing. With smaller classes, they get so much individual attention that you don't get with 35+ students in a class. If I knew then what I know now, I still wouldn't have done it any other way!

The Colorado Springs School 4

Posted November 15, 2013
My child has attended The Colorado Springs School since pre-school and for my family there is not another choice. This school excels on so many levels. The teachers are welcoming, understanding, compassionate and bright. My child has learned to be an independent thinker and knows this school is a place to learn through experiences. This school has an excellent music program, art program, as well as an excellent theater program. The kids learn to get on stage and preform from kindergarten on. These activities help to round out a child's educational experience, which is top notch at CSS. The children get home cooked hot meals at lunch made by our Chef that are healthy and nutritious. This school offers so much in terms of preparing children for college and beyond. For most parents considering a private school education, cost is always a concern. The school offers great financial aid awards as well as scholarships to families. The school will work with families and their budgets. Everyone should tour this school and see the sparkle in the eyes of the students who attend The Colorado Springs School.

Posted November 14, 2013
CSS makes my family happy. My children are thriving in the individualized, hands on learning environment. My oldest daughter has already begun the art of advocating for herself. My middle child realizes the importance of working hard to be successful. She is confident & independent, and she makes all of the projects and time on stage look so easy! My youngest loves going to school. He knows it is his home away from home. Everyone on campus knows him and loves him, and most importantly he loves them. This school is like a big family-they offer high academics, performing arts, sports, expeditions, and so many life skills needed to survive in the 21st Century.

The Colorado Springs School
21 Broadmoor Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO  80906
Last modified The Colorado Springs School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
The Colorado Springs School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top