PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

CSS is a place you have to visit to believe. What is done here with students on a daily basis is amazing. The faculty are an intelligent, hard working and committed group. My kids have flourished here in all 3 divisions. High expectations are balanced by a supportive and approachable faculty. The academics have prepared my oldest extremely well for the ACT exam and multiple AP exams. This is a school that prepares students extremely well... In a variety of areas of life. Writing skills. Responsibility. Integrity. Academics. Creativity. Public speaking. The Exprienced based learning brings real world situations and critical thinking to the forefront. It is highly engaging. Kids can be real individuals here... As well as contribute in many many ways to the community. My son is a member of 4 musical groups on campus, as well as running the lights for theater productions and being in the robotics club. My oldest was yearbook editor and was able to try new sports in high school and thrive. Kids are encouraged to try out many things. Opportunities are everywhere. CSS is a very safe and supportive community. The college counseling program is second to none. This school is good for the whole person, and I have seen that first hand as I have had kids at the school for the past 16 years. I would not consider sending my kids anywhere else. Visit and see for yourself!

If you are looking for a community where your child will be academically challenged while simultaneously shaped into a person that will go out in the world and make a difference, this is the school. The faculty and other parents instantly provide an environment where your child feels safe to express and challenge themselves. Within each classroom, my husband and I have found teachers tailor the learning to our children’s’ specific levels and really ensure that their strengths are showcased. We have two confident little people that look forward to what awaits them at school every day. You can’t ask for more.

Experience based learning makes this school unique among others in the area. While the public schools rank high with test scores, CSS teaches students to think for themselves, integrates studies with life experiences and each student is aware of the global impact of what they are learning. This school stresses community, philanthropy, academic excellence and is able to teach to each students needs, not to a standardized test all while experience art, drama, state and world wide travel. The teachers are outstanding and receive enjoy support from a strong administration. The school has been our home for 6 years with all 3 kids there.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Wow! Every year I think we have had the best teacher, and then we are surprised by the next. I usually get emotional when I talk about the teachers. These folks have changed my kid's lives. They have inspired, sparked interest, disciplined, praised, demanded hard work, replied to emails and phone calls from home (at night and on weekends), mentored, comforted, encouraged, befriended, coached, and taught my kids. These folks are exceptional. They are at CSS because they love learning and love kids. We have a lot of cross-divisional teachers, so the teachers get to know kid in every division. Teachers show up to all the theater events, sports games, club activities and even birthday parties. All because they care and want to be involved.

Amount of homework: Agree

Teachers are very upfront that there is a substantial amount of homework, but it isn't just heaps of worksheets. Many times it is project based, studying for a test, or reading to prepare for the next day. I would be disappointed if it was too easy, or there was less homework. Don't get me wrong, some parents complain that there is too much. But, we don't over-schedule our kids after school knowing that they are exhausted after a full day of giving 100% and then they have homework. They each do 1 after school activity. When they do school sports, the school is insistent that grades come first. There is a homework heaven for middle school every day 3:30-5:30 where kids can go (free) and do homework and a teacher is there.

Develops character: Strongly agree

CSS has a curriculum that includes honesty, integrity and fairness as an essential part of the program. There is a student run program in the Upper School that holds the older kids accountable to peers, for example. The best way to demonstrate that CSS is founded on these principles is that none of the kid's lockers have locks on them. The classrooms are small enough that the teachers in every division (Upper, Middle and Children's) can devote time to character development as an essential component of the CSS education.

I am 1 of 4 siblings that graduated from the Colorado Springs School. We have graduated from the following Universities: Harvard Tufts University Boston College University of Pennsylvania Columbia Law School Harvard Law School Stanford Although attending Ivy League universities certainly does not define or adequately measure 'success,' we all directly attribute our admission and preparation to the experiences gained at CSS. CSS provides a world class education, knowledgeable and caring faculty, and a community dedicated to bringing out the best in every individual. Your child's school is never something that should be measured by the school's website or reviews online. Make the investment of your time to visit the campus, meet administration, faculty, and students and you will find that CSS is a unique and exceptional educational institution for students of all ages, race, and backgrounds.

This experiential school has been one of the best things that has happened to our children's education.

Several of the negative comments posted below are breaking my heart. My experience at the school was incredibly positive. I was a "lifer" at CSS and have stayed an engaged alumna. As a new parent I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to enroll at CSS. Yes it will be a sacrifice financially for our family, yes I imagine I will have high expectations of the school and the academic program, and I may even have frustrations at times. However I know ultimately that a caring, supportive school environment, filled with extraordinary teachers and engaged classmates, will contribute to our daughter’s academic attitudes, confidence, and future success. Many schools are trying to move toward the “experiential” model of learning that CSS has been using for decades. When I was a student it was never about teachers getting up in front of a class lecturing for an hour and then expecting us to memorize facts for a test. But rather it always felt like a dialogue, one where we were asking questions, making real world connections, and ultimately learning how to be critical thinkers. We still took tests and were expected to “know stuff”– but the connections that were made through those “experiential” lessons have stuck with me over the years. I took it for granted while I was at CSS but when I got to college and now in my current career I find that I am able to think creatively and problem solve, I am able to take risks and get out of my comfort zone, and I am still genuinely curious about the world around me. I truly believe that CSS instilled those traits in me. If you have any doubts based on some of the other reviews posted here – take a deeper look – you only know what will be a good fit for your child and your family by experiencing it yourself.

When we decided to send our child to the Colorado Springs School I never thought I'd use words like bullying, arrogance, elitism, and racism in the same sentence with the school name. Sadly, that was our experience. We had high hopes for our child's future at CSS, but many of the claims and promises the school made during the admissions process were not met. We were very excited about the experiential learning model they use only to discover it translates into a disorganized, unstructured, undisciplined, and unaccountable learning environment. When choosing a school, we have learned there are more important things to consider than a pretty campus.

Last modified The Colorado Springs School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12