Colorado Springs, CO

Frontier Elementary School 4

Posted December 18, 2014
My kids have been at Frontier for half a year and I am very pleased with it. My older child always struggled with reading and for the first time he feels successful. He was tested at the beginning of the year and placed in a small reading group in the classroom with a specialist. This worked out great because at his former school he was pulled out of class each day for 90 minutes and not only missed core subjects, but he felt stupid. Here at Frontier he received the extra help inside the classroom during reading instruction time. Another thing I like about this school is that the grades are not padded like at many other places. Students earn their grades. Organization is stressed in grades 3- 5 and each student learns how to keep an agenda and take notes. The PTA is fantastic too, and the school had a wonderful dance and silent auction that was super for everyone. I'm glad that we chose this school!

Posted October 02, 2014
Our grandsons came to Colorado Springs from Tucson where they had attended private schools. The family researched public schools and decided to locate in the Frontier Elementary school boundaries. The teachers recognized that the boys were well educated and everyone at Frontier and District 20 has been proactive to ensure that the boys progress in their studies. The boys look forward to their TAG enrichment classes and their accelerated computer homework and they love to go to school. Currently, the District is working through the procedures to grade accelerate our youngest grandson. Our family's experience with faculty, staff, and administration at Frontier and District 20 has been very positive. Their actions prove that they truly endeavor to do what is best for their students.

Frontier Elementary School 2

Posted January 06, 2014
My child went to Frontier Elementary School and I would suggest parents to look elsewhere. Most of the teachers were great but the administration lacked in professionalism and were not friendly. Yes, they did know the students names, but that alone does not make up a good educational support system. Frontier Elementary has an extremely high turn-over rate since the current principal and vice-principal took over many years back. Sadly, I heard the positive school environment dropped with this change in administration. Should those two ever leave the school, it would definitely be worth considering.

Frontier Elementary School 1

Posted December 18, 2013
My child only attended this school for a short time we left due to the principal at the school. The administration at this school is dangerously unprofessional and unsafe. There are no checks and balances on them. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to a very good teacher, it simply wasn't worth the risk. The good teachers leave in short order anyway, turnover rate is staggeringly high. I wish that I had read these reviews before enrolling my child at this school.

Posted September 08, 2013
My children love this school! The teacher's are excellent and care about their students. Parent involvement could be better.

Posted August 01, 2013
My daughter attended 1-5 at Frontier, and my son attended K-5 there. Every teacher we had was excellent. Volunteering at the school, I saw the surprising percentage of parents who do not communicate with teachers by email or scheduled conference... or at all, I guess. I suspect that those parents are often the ones who complain the loudest. Anyway, I was a "fly on the wall" in the workroom and was impressed to see teachers respecting each other, coordinating activities with other classes, and being careful to guard students' privacy. My volunteer work was restricted to non-academic tasks (like cutting out 1,000,000 shapes, sharpening pencils, shelving books, etc.). All of the classes I saw were orderly. The two principals know each child's name. My son had several incidents of being bullied, and after I talked with the teacher it stopped. I don't know what they did or who else was involved, but it worked. My children got a top-notch education at Frontier.

Frontier Elementary School 4

Posted June 11, 2012
wow, I am somewhat surprised by some of the reviews. I had a child in preschool here with an IEP for a year and a half. We loved her teachers and she progressed very quickly to achieve all her goals and no longer needs an IEP. My older child has struggled with reading one year and math another year. Each year she received propper help and not only got up to her grade level but slightly exceded it. She loved her teachers and will miss the school greatly. They had an awesome art program this past year, as well as music (handbells and choir), and spanish, and a PE teacher who really cares about the kids. The only lacking thing i could see was parent involvement. It was the same small group of parents in each grade who do everything. All I can say is.....get involved!

Frontier Elementary School 2

Posted September 05, 2011
Although many of the teachers here are fabulous, it doesn't make up for the Administrations lack of leadership! With such a lack of professional focus, the teachers (and students) here are constantly leaving for other schools and even other districts. It's important that an administrator looks out for what's best for kids and supports her staff. Unfortunately, Frontier does not have this kind of support. I would not send my child here or work there (I'm a former teacher of Frontier) until the administration receives some mentoring and professional development or until the administrators are finally asked to step down. Feel free to do your own research on scores, student enrollment, and teacher mobility!!

Frontier Elementary School 1

Posted November 21, 2010
After 5 years, I moved my daughter to another district altogether, and the results have been amazing. Her new school identified and addressed the areas she was weak in, and her confidence and achievement have improved dramatically (in just 4 months). She had spent her entire career at Frontier as "a problem student" and was constantly labeled as ADHD, despite no doctor or psychologist assessment. Everything was geared around teaching to the CSAP, and not about creating successful adults. There seems to be constant stress and drama amongst the staff, and this seems to carryover into marginalizing kids who may not perform well instead of dedicating resources to help them improve. In fact, they have decreased the resources available to these kids. District 20 did not live up to it's reputation here.

Frontier Elementary School 0

Posted September 21, 2010
The administration is very receptive and helpful. There is lots of opportunities in school and before/after for music, art, sports, science chess, and more. The teachers are very communicative.

Frontier Elementary School
3755 Meadow Ridge Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80920
Last modified Frontier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frontier Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top