Colorado Springs, CO

Posted May 20, 2015
I have two children with very different personalities and academic strengths and weaknesses. Frontier has been terrific for them both. To me this has always had the feel of a homey neighborhood school in a middle class area. The parents participate in school activities, the PTA is wonderful, but most importantly my children not only love to go to school everyday; they have grown intellectually and emotionally. I keep reading negative comments about the administration, but I honestly have never felt anything negative. Both the principal and the vice principal I think have done a terrific job, and the school excels each year. Are their issues, well I'm sure each place has issues, but to my family and most importantly my children, this has been a wonderful experience.

Posted February 26, 2015
The teachers are great at Frontier and work diligently with their students, despite the on going underlying tension from the current administration. It is unclear and unfortunate why the district does not bring in a more supportive leadership to this school. There could be more involvement in the PTA, but the work they do is amazing!

Posted February 03, 2015
I've been working here a year now and it's a great school. Staff is all friendly and understanding. Want what's best for the students. Organized.

Posted October 02, 2014
Our grandsons came to Colorado Springs from Tucson where they had attended private schools. The family researched public schools and decided to locate in the Frontier Elementary school boundaries. The teachers recognized that the boys were well educated and everyone at Frontier and District 20 has been proactive to ensure that the boys progress in their studies. The boys look forward to their TAG enrichment classes and their accelerated computer homework and they love to go to school. Currently, the District is working through the procedures to grade accelerate our youngest grandson. Our family's experience with faculty, staff, and administration at Frontier and District 20 has been very positive. Their actions prove that they truly endeavor to do what is best for their students.

Posted January 06, 2014
My child went to Frontier Elementary School and I would suggest parents to look elsewhere. Most of the teachers were great but the administration lacked in professionalism and were not friendly. Yes, they did know the students names, but that alone does not make up a good educational support system. Frontier Elementary has an extremely high turn-over rate since the current principal and vice-principal took over many years back. Sadly, I heard the positive school environment dropped with this change in administration. Should those two ever leave the school, it would definitely be worth considering.

Frontier Elementary School 1

Posted December 18, 2013
My child only attended this school for a short time we left due to the principal at the school. The administration at this school is dangerously unprofessional and unsafe. There are no checks and balances on them. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to a very good teacher, it simply wasn't worth the risk. The good teachers leave in short order anyway, turnover rate is staggeringly high. I wish that I had read these reviews before enrolling my child at this school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 08, 2013
My children love this school! The teacher's are excellent and care about their students. Parent involvement could be better.

Posted August 01, 2013
My daughter attended 1-5 at Frontier, and my son attended K-5 there. Every teacher we had was excellent. Volunteering at the school, I saw the surprising percentage of parents who do not communicate with teachers by email or scheduled conference... or at all, I guess. I suspect that those parents are often the ones who complain the loudest. Anyway, I was a "fly on the wall" in the workroom and was impressed to see teachers respecting each other, coordinating activities with other classes, and being careful to guard students' privacy. My volunteer work was restricted to non-academic tasks (like cutting out 1,000,000 shapes, sharpening pencils, shelving books, etc.). All of the classes I saw were orderly. The two principals know each child's name. My son had several incidents of being bullied, and after I talked with the teacher it stopped. I don't know what they did or who else was involved, but it worked. My children got a top-notch education at Frontier.

Frontier Elementary School 4

Posted June 11, 2012
wow, I am somewhat surprised by some of the reviews. I had a child in preschool here with an IEP for a year and a half. We loved her teachers and she progressed very quickly to achieve all her goals and no longer needs an IEP. My older child has struggled with reading one year and math another year. Each year she received propper help and not only got up to her grade level but slightly exceded it. She loved her teachers and will miss the school greatly. They had an awesome art program this past year, as well as music (handbells and choir), and spanish, and a PE teacher who really cares about the kids. The only lacking thing i could see was parent involvement. It was the same small group of parents in each grade who do everything. All I can say is.....get involved!

Posted September 05, 2011
Although many of the teachers here are fabulous, it doesn't make up for the Administrations lack of leadership! With such a lack of professional focus, the teachers (and students) here are constantly leaving for other schools and even other districts. It's important that an administrator looks out for what's best for kids and supports her staff. Unfortunately, Frontier does not have this kind of support. I would not send my child here or work there (I'm a former teacher of Frontier) until the administration receives some mentoring and professional development or until the administrators are finally asked to step down. Feel free to do your own research on scores, student enrollment, and teacher mobility!!

Frontier Elementary School
3755 Meadow Ridge Dr, Colorado Springs, CO  80920
Last modified Frontier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frontier Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top