Liberty High School

Public | 9-12

Posted September 15, 2014

I am responding to some of the more negative comments. I have received help from all of my teachers. You may have to wait 1-2 weeks for a report to be graded. However, please remember, teachers have multiple classes and 15-20 students in their classes. They are only human. They will help you with a problem, and, if they don't know how to, they will help you find someone that can. Classes may be harder, but you can always get more help. If you are failing, you, as the primary leader of your education, are expected to pull your grades up. Teachers will help you, but you need to know what your grades are and how to fix them. Students are not expected to go to four-year colleges or Ivy League Colleges. However, the staff lets students and parents know that this is an option. School spirit is important here. However, if you don't have as much as other people, then that's fine. Bullying is a problem that people experience everywhere, but I am not condoning it. Someone close to me was bullied, and the offender was punished, and not in a slap on the hand way. All in all, this school is a very good choice for a high school student.

Posted February 26, 2014

Liberty has great potential, but the facilities are holding it back from becoming a great school. There are 5 trailers that hold classrooms. Students have to leave the main building to get to class. The District's plan to solve this issue is to build a brand new school not to far away. This won't fix the problem because Liberty will be left with worn out materials and classrooms. I would love to reccomend this school for the amazing teachers, but the facilities are beginning to hinder learning!

Posted December 1, 2013

This is the worst school I've had to attend - out of five - by far. Administration cares more about how much their paycheck will be that week than what is in the best interest of the students. If a school where new students are unwelcome amongst their peers of kids who have grown up in the district, this is your school! Bullying is pretty acceptable as well- just ask the sophomore who was voted into homecoming court as a joke. Oh, and by the way, when the caring, involved administration was informed by several people and even given specific names of those responsible for starting the cruel "joke", nothing was done about it. These five star rating by parents are a joke. The next three semesters at that wretched place are going to be increasingly miserable as the administration continues to make changes that restrict us as a student body and accomplish exactly what they aim to prevent. It's extremely unfortunate that the few decent adults I've encountered at this school are surrounded with colleagues generally sour towards students that we as students are subject to.

Posted November 26, 2013

I have no idea what ANY of these one star reviews are talking about. Liberty has a nice clean campus, friendly community, FANTASTIC arts program and is overall one of the best schools in D20. The only valid complaint I've seen are the admins, they don't know how to plan very well or make appointments well and they are becoming more and more strict every year but overall I love this school.

Posted September 7, 2013

When I went to enroll my junior here, her counselor wouldn't even give us the time of day, she said we needed to make an appointment. I did this, kind of understanding the situation, but when we arrived for our appointment the following week, her counselor wouldn't let my daughter pick her classes, she said she was going to put her in anything available, I understood this for extra curricular classes, but she did it for the core classes too! My daughter told her multiple times that she needed to go into Pre-calculus, but she got stuck in Geometry! She also put my daughter into ADVANCED dance class, which happens to be a class that you cannot take unless you are an ADVANCED dancer, upon printing out her schedule, we found she had been stuck in 2 other advanced classes. On her first day, she had to ride the bus, i had been informed ahead of time that she would need an RFID card to ride (it's $0.50 a day to ride the school bus, and it's shared between middle and high school). We were told her card would arrive in the mail within 2 weeks, but it hadn't by the 1st day. I figured being the first day they would let it go, NOPE! The bus driver said she couldn't ride without a card!

Posted August 2, 2013

I do not recommend taking your child to this school if your child is not one of those super stars students. The teachers never tried to teach me what was important, they mostly put me down and made me feel bad about myself. For example, one of the most humiliating things I had to do was stay after school and ask a fellow classmate how to highlight words on a page. This was in an honors class. They did not help me learn, just tried to put me in my place it felt like.

Posted October 16, 2012

This school is a very good school! I honestly have no idea what all these people are talking about bullying. I have not ran into bullying at all while at this school. The teachers and prinicpal are great. At Liberty, the academics are very strong and challenging, but the teachers are very willing to help you when you are struggling.

Posted January 26, 2012

Both my boys attend this school and we have had a positive experience so far. This school is not perfect and is dealing with things that are going on in other schools in the area too, it just makes me sad to see it having such a bad rep on here. I feel there are good teachers and staff that are trying to help the students succeed and things are being done like any school to try and counteract bullying.

Posted September 25, 2011

I have absolutely nothing good to say about this school. The bullying here is so severe that it is unbearable. The problem is that the staff does NOTHING about it. You can take a mound of proof and still nothing. At one point the principal literally told me that he thought my daughter 'asked for it' and 'attracted dram'. He literally blamed HER for getting bullied. There was actually two parents whose daughters were being bullied by the same student... nothing. They do not care. They are not going to intervene or help. If you love your child and value their safety and well-being then run as fast as you can away from this school!! They will not help protect your children!

Posted April 6, 2011

This school is horrible and needs to restaff in the admin department. The thing is they stress about the dumbest things around the school. If you dont have school spirit tou are looked down upon or considered a rebel. Also, if your son/daughter has a situation with the staff they will gang up on you because they think that just because the satff has been there longer that they are more trustworthy then your child. Another thing is that sports are extremely expensive ($89.00) to just try-out. Most teachers are good at their job but the ones that aren't shouldn't be a teacher because they dislike the work and students. If you think this is bad im just scratching the surface of this horrible establishment. if the admin was restaffed it would make this place a lot better. All they stress is that students go to a 4 year university or like ivy league schools.

Posted November 16, 2010

I am very unhappy with this school. First, are the many lax teachers. Expect an average of 2-3 weeks or longer for your child's homework or lab or project , or exam grade to post. Second, the sports are so hard to make a team, that unless your child is a top athlete, there will be a lot of bench sitting for the season , and if your child is mediocre in sports, they most likely won't make a team at all. But more important, my child was bullied also, like the other parents mentioned, and the behavior continued after complaints. There was no indication, that the students in question were suspended or disciplined for any of the behavior, yet it still continued & the office was notified. Why wasn't this stopped, and the kid(s) responsible should have been accountable for their bullying. Just talking to the bully isn't discipline, (especially if they repeat their behavior. ). Let me repeat that ... JUST TALKING TO THE BULLY ISN'T DISCIPLINE, and I highly doubt a short detention is going to stop an abusive bully ( bullying is abuse ) THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Posted May 3, 2010

I cannot give this school a positive recommendation, I have 3 children who have attended this school, one going from 9th-12th, one going 9th-11th and one that has only attended for the 9th grade and I am moving this child out of this school. We have experienced everything from extreme bullying, without the proper guidance from administration. They are very quick to get it off of their plate it seems and do not want to accept any of the blame or responsibility. I have had numerous negative experiences with teachers themselves when it comes to a child with an IEP or special needs. To me and many other whom I have spoke with it seems like the teachers just don t want to deal with anything that is time consuming or any extra work for them that may even require a heart or some compassion with I believe all teachers and caregivers should have. Instead, they once again, just want it off their plate! I feel like they worry more about their stats then they do a child really receiving a good education. I would not recommend this school.

Posted January 2, 2010

As a military family, my children have attended schools across the nation and we find this school to be adequate. Nothing terrible to say, but nothing great either.

Posted July 4, 2009

wonderful school, best acadimics, and best sports espicially soccer. teachers care and advanced placement really is a challenge.

Posted January 10, 2009

The school itself may be amazing, but the fact that the staff only care about those in athletics and or in honors classes, is a very large drawback. While attending this school, I never once was pulled aside for a 'one-on-one'/'teacher to student' talk about my falling grades. One good thing i have to say about this school is that there are special teachers there. Mrs. Neilson, a algebra teacher, always told me i could do sooo much better if i just applied myself. (at a different school the fallowing year I recieved straight A's)

Posted October 15, 2008

We had two students attend this school and go on to college. As a military family, we had experience in several school systems in Europe and three other states before arriving in Colorado Springs. When we moved here finding a good school was a priority for us. Liberty was one of three finalists for us, and we are glad we choose this school. We would rate the entire experience a 9.9 out of ten. The only negative we observed was a revolving door for the principal, but that seems to have been corrected. We saw good, professional, and dedicated couselors, teachers, and coaches. They offered a challenging curriculum - of course, they have a few fresh air courses, so watch what your kids choose to take. We were part of an active PTO and booster club - so we'd say parent involvement is high. Bottom line? We highly recommend the school.

Posted January 19, 2008

'How can a school be so woderful?' you ask? It is wonderful because it's Liberty, Home of the Lancers. Yes, it is truely that simple.

Posted June 14, 2007

All three of my children have attended this school and thrived. I had one child stray from the path and with the schools help and understanding she has totally turned herself around. As a parent you you couldn't ask for a better team to work with. Any school can rate well with a good student but how a school reacts to a student that has strayed, is the most important. My child now has a 3.85 GPA at a very good 4yr college, and will be graduating with honors what more could you ask for.

Posted August 8, 2006

Liberty has an extremely strong academic program that thoroughly prepares students for the rigors of university courses. LHS is one of the strongest in the district when it comes to Advanced Placement scores, leading students to acquire college credit while still in high school. The administration, faculty, and student body are all very friendly and welcoming of new students. LHS also has a strong athletics program, winning numerous state championships as well as being able to send student athletes to compete in national events. Various other extra-curricular activities are available for students, ranging from the performing arts and the creative arts to Science Olympiad and Knowledge Bowl to foreign language clubs and National Honor Society. At LHS, parents are also able get involved through Parents At Liberty (PALs) or one of the many booster clubs. Overall, Liberty High School would be an excellent choice for any student.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 17, 2006

This school is in the coveted colorado springs district 20. While I found the school overall to be 'ok' having a son with special educational needs I found them to be very lacking in support systems. The counseling staff's over involvement in a divorced parent situation and refusal to follow the law concerning such issues led to my removing my son from the school. There is also a huge lack of attention to those students who don't fit into their defined box.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students55%

Students without disabilities62%
Proficient in English60%
Neither migrant nor immigrant60%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 8%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8720 Scarborough Dr