Ridgeview Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted May 12, 2014

I wish I went to a school like this when I was a kid. After discussing what my daughter's school rating should be with my daughter we decided that this is a five star school. I asked my daughter if she felt safe, like she was being taught, if she was being bullied or witnessing bulling, if there were too many kids, and if she wanted to stay at the school. All of her answers were positive about the school from her eyes and I agree with her for the most part. The district has a schedule that goes year round with only 2 months off during the summer compared to the normal 3 months and it seems like the kids have a lot of time off, but it pretty much equals out.

Posted February 26, 2014

The school isn't really to blame for all my issues. It is mostly the district. It is like our kids never go to school. Every week there is a 'teacher work day' or 'training' day. It is very inconvenient. It makes me wonder when they actually go to school. The PTA is just drama filled. They constantly hound you because you don't want to join. The amounts of fundraisers sent home is crazy as well. I am sorry but between the first 2 that were done, we have yet to see anything done to the school that the money was raised for. When your kid doesn't do the fundraiser, they still hound you on how 'important' it is and how badly they need money. I am sorry but last I check there is a tax that supports the school, and I am one of the few parents who volunteer and donate many class room items and bring things for their parties and what not.

Posted February 5, 2014

I don't think Ridgeview does the best job supporting children with learning and attention issues. They could do better. I think the parent really has to advocate and demand services. It's a shame because I think kids can easily fall through the cracks and get unnoticed. It's easier to just ignore the issue especially when it's not severe. I'd like to see more emphasis on reading disabilities so kids aren't getting so far behind in the elementary grades. The responsibility just cannot be put entirely on the parent or pediatrician to know when something is wrong or how to get services. Kids are with the school most of their day and the teachers and school staff are the ones that have to not only recognize the kids struggles, but how to get them help.

Posted February 5, 2014

I have had people stop in the middle of the drive way blocking anyone from getting in and people ask them to move and the person behind her ask her to move and there is a lot of bad words coming from the lady blocking the drive way and the office don't care this is not good for the kids to see eather there are things going on at this school no one no's about I have seen the super at the school and see people do things and he turns his head and don't care my kid is all most done with this school thank god yea and where is all the school supplies gone my kid has not seen any in 2 years making people buy stuff and the kids don't see it or don't get to use it Principal Leadership is not to good and the food is not very good they have mostly toco's this is not good for all kids and when a Holiday comes they give the kids left overs stuff that was left from the week before and the kids come home sick from some of there food they run right to the bath room in pain from the food I don't no who makes up the menu but need new food or new person.

Posted November 16, 2013

As a parent I have been extremely unsatisfied with the many if the teachers and the leadership at this school. The administration us more concerned with protecting staff and not doing what is right by the students and listening to concerns from parents. Of the few decent teachers my child has had here most of the good teachers have left this school. Most Teachers do not take the time to look at the individual needs of children, and communication between the school and individual teachers and parents is severely lacking.

Posted July 9, 2013

I have had one or more of my kids at Ridgeview elementary school for a total of 7 years now. I have volunteered several years and some years I have not. I have found Ridgeview to be a very good school. This last year was the best so far and they are improving every year. My daughters teacher was very helpful with weekly e-mails and updates and what they were doing for the week and things that I could do as a parent to help. This is where parents have the opportunity to step up for their kids and help them out as they progress through the grades. The schools can only be as good as the effort that is put into it buy the students, teachers and parents. My only complaint is not about the school but the amount of information our kids are asked to learn. It is sometimes overwhelming for them but I feel the this is a area where a parent can really step in and help their kids. I think the school does a pretty good job at getting the information to the kids but more and more parent envolvement is required to keep them on track. If you let your kid go through any school and expect them to do everything your child will loose out everytime.

Posted March 14, 2013

I have a child in this school and almost a year has gone by and I am not impresed. I have seen lack of supervision , lack of redirection, yelling at kids making them cry, detention for 2 to 3 days in a row for very minor offences ( I volunteer there ). The princapal is not a parents friend she is all about protecting her staff and just following policy. The last 3 reviews below are from the schools staff so of course it is biased. Also bought so many school supplies for the students and have yet to see any of it used for them. I am pulling my child out for the 2013-2014 school year and placing somewhere else. The school looks good on the outside but inside is what matters.

Posted October 28, 2012

Ridgeview has excellent teachers who frequently put in lots of extra hours to prepare lessons and experiences for their students based on needs as demonstrated by formative assessments. Ridgeview teachers truly care about their students. Ridgeview has strong leadership, with a principal and assistant principal who are willing to take risks and try new things. Our principal is supportive and innovative. She is great to work with. Ridgeview has challenging academic programs, particularly in writing and math. Also, Ridgeview now has all full day kindergarten, which is good for kids.

Posted September 10, 2012

Ridgeview is a quality learning environment in which the teachers and staff provide excellent academics and extracurricular activites for a well-rounded student. I am thankful that my child was able to attend Ridgeview for second thru fifth grade!

Posted September 9, 2012

I believe RVES is a great school! Excellent teachers who strive to help students excell, strong leadership from the administrators, and great academic programs. When my children are school-aged, Ridgeview Huskies they will be!

Posted September 9, 2012

I have been very happy as a staff member and a parent at Ridgeview. My child is choiced into Ridgeview. I feel that the curriculum in Kindergarten and First grade have been rigorous and appropriately challenging for my daughter. I also feel that the school as a whole does a great job of meeting the needs of students and teaching the standards. We frequently get students who come to us without the skills the grade level requires, and we work diligently to get each student to grade level. I feel the staff is friendly and communicates effectively. I believe the staff has the best interest of each child at heart, and wishes only the best for each child. Ridgeview is working to increase math ability, written communication, vocabulary and of course reading. I have seen a dramatic increase in the ability to problem solve, understand advanced vocabulary, and write to a higher level in recent years. We are also working to reach students who have interests outside of academic areas. I am proud of what the staff is doing. I am proud of the students and appreciate the community that supports our efforts. Ridgeview is a great place to work, and a great place for children!

Posted September 9, 2012

My son attended RVES for 5th grade only. We were really worried about him fitting in, making friends, and changing curriculum at the end of elementary school. His 5th grade year went really well. Not only did he make great memories, but he also transitioned to the Colorado curriculum with little difficulty. His 5th grade teacher found ways to motivate the kids to learn and to keep them engaged. I never really had a need to speak to the principal concerning a problem, but she always was in attendance at PTA and special functions. I found her to be visible, actively involved, and friendly.

Posted September 9, 2012

I love working at RVES! The principal is present & works hard. The staff works hard to educate every child, by building meaningful relationships with families & students. My nephew will be starting Pre-K and I look forward to seeing the arts, inquiry, math, & science focus that Ridgeview has.

Posted July 27, 2012

I couldn't agree more with the post from July 2nd. My 3rd grader NEVER brought home reading or writing homework. As far as the homework she did bring home, it never had any instructions or examples to help the students. My Kindergartener never brought home any reading or writing homework either. The only reason she knows how to read is because we practice it at home with her everyday. There is also a huge bullying problem there and the staff seems to want to brush everything under the rug. We had to speak to the principal on several occasions and she was not supportive at all. Needless to say we are not returning this year.

Posted July 2, 2012

We have been at the school for a year. That's all I need to know that I don't want to come back. Teachers are friendly but academically my children have suffered. My 3rd grader NEVER brought home reading or writing homework and my 1st graders reading skills have actually gotten worse. There is a lack of substitute teachers and students may be shuffled around to classrooms if their teacher is unable to find a sub. The principal does not communicate with the parents at all. The two things this school has going for it are the extra curricular activities for the kids, and the music/ arts program.

Posted January 18, 2012

My 3 children have attended this school since Kindergarten( beginning in 2006), and while their teachers have been really great ( with the exception of a single teacher who is no longer at the school) the school has gone through many changes. The administartive staff and pricipals were something less to be desired at first, but 2 years ago the school did a teacher and principal overhaul and I couldn't be happier. The school is organized and timely and the front office staff are friendly and effecient and communication is the highest I have ever seen it. My children will attend this school through the 5th grade as long as everything continues the way it has since the changes. My kids are happy and well adjusted and there is no question about how well they are being educated . Every school has it's ups and downs and that will continue as long as funding and overcrowding come in to play. But if you want a school with good teachers, and effective curriculum and an organized and friendly front office staff this is a great choice for a school!

Posted December 8, 2011

I am so unhappy with Ridgview, don't even know where to begin! If your child is average or above, then they don't get any attention and will get ignored.

Posted August 30, 2011

Verbatim from the D49 official Falcon Flyer received 8/30/2011: "Overcrowding has been a hot topic in District 49. Falcon continues to be one of the fastest growing districts in the state. We currently serve about 14,000 students. This is perhaps the first year that our overall student population has not increased, but that does not change the fact that overcrowding continues to plague our district. Eight schools in District 49 are currently over-capacity. They include Woodmen Hills Elementary, Falcon Middle School,Falcon High School, Evans International Elementary, Springs Ranch Elementary, Odyssey Elementary, Ridgeview Elementary, and Skyview Middle School. Of the remaining schools, not a single one of them is less than 75% full...Teachers struggle when thirty or more students outnumber them..."

Posted April 22, 2011

I have one son in 2nd grade and two sons who went all the way K-5 at RVES. They all had really great teachers. The office staff has always been friendly and helpful. The teachers send a weekly e-mail and communicate very efficiently. Whenever I go to volunteer at the school, there are a lot of parents around helping out. All of my kids really liked this school.

Posted April 25, 2010

My experience with the teacher is good, but this school seems especially crowded. I have not had any good experiences with the staff and am not impressed with the principle at all.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

All Students72%

Students without disabilities69%
Proficient in English69%
Neither migrant nor immigrant65%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A41%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6753 Shimmering Creek Place