Public charter
Colorado Springs, CO

Posted September 19, 2014
Last year my son attended a public school in District 3, he cried every morning and night that he hated it and didn't want to go the next day. This year I decided to send him to JMCA and my child and I love it. He has grown so much in such a short time. Every night he tells me about the great day he had and all of the things he learned about, and every morning he has a smile. The teachers and staff at this school are wonderful. Each staff member knows the children by name and the communication is great. His teacher emails me on a regular basis to let me know how he is advancing. My son was out sick and his teacher emailed me the next day on a SATURDAY to see how he was feeling. They do require volunteer time from each parent, but I think that is great because it encourages each parent to be involved in their child's education. The class sizes are small which provides each child with more one on one time with their teacher. They have programs like PE, Music, Band, Library, and Art. Yes the building is small but the love and education in those walls is amazing. I don't desire my child to go to any other school, we are JMCA Mountain Lions and proud of it!

James Madison Charter Academy School 3

Posted December 08, 2013
While JMCA has benefitted our kindergartener educationally, we're pushed to wits end in many other aspects of the school. Our son has an excellent teacher who keeps us informed about class functions/progress on a routine basis. The school has had to cut a few budgetary corners. The building is a modular structure in a low-lying flood zone, susceptible to damage in case of random Colorado Springs tornados or excessive precipitation. The children eat lunch and have recess/gym in the same multi-purpose room. The school has a HORRIBLE notification system. Their webpage is basic and out-of-date, and their Facebook page (to which the webpage directs parents) is also out of date. Recently, we (and much of the region) experienced a day or two of closures due to extreme weather. However, we received a notification at approx. 10pm (from the pre/post-school caregiver) that they'd be closed the following day due to 'temperatures below 0' because some children walk to school. That was unacceptable, since temperatures were predicted a week or so in advance. There is also a parenting responsibility in play there. Lastly, parents are forced to volunteer time or funds to the school annually.

James Madison Charter Academy School 0

Posted October 25, 2013
This school is a small school with big city attitude. As long as you kiss butt to them they will like you and involve your child. I'm not one to sit back and kiss... They obviously have favorites to parents/students. They try to handle bullying after SEVERAL complaints, but it still happens. but for the most part, i honestly think they don't care. Some of the teachers are great. But you're lucky if you get them. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 16, 2013
We are in our second year at JMCA and love it more all the time. I drive over 50 miles a day so that my child can attend here and I Have never regretted it. The faculty is involved with EVERY student in the building and parents are very involved. No school is without it's issues but I can tell you this; when I have had a concern or question , the solution has always been simple thru communication. My child was bullied during her first grade year and it was addressed immediately and monitored afterward. The child that bullied mine became her friend only because of the intervention of the faculty and close follow up. The academics are enriching and stimulating for the children. I also love how the older kids in the school are involved with the younger ones. Overall, no school is perfect but, afer raising an older child and starting my younger one out at a different school I can tell you this, JMCA is pretty darn close.

James Madison Charter Academy School 4

Posted January 16, 2013
My child has attended this school from K-3rd grade, she has had excellent teacher that are caring, supportive, and creative when it comes to learning. The school administrators are excellent, and have address any concerns or issues we have had so far. I have only had one concern in 3 1/2 years. I also drive a great number of miles to get my child to this school. The only negative thing would be that they need more advance programming for advance students. But, again this is a small school and they overall meets the needs of the majority of it children. This might be the last year of attendance for my child, but I would recommend it to other parents for K-3 only because these are the only grades my child has attended. The parents of the children are also wonderful, and the children that attend this school are very respectable and caring. A great school with small classes!

Posted October 03, 2011
After spending 2 years at the on-post schools here at Fort Carson we chose James Madison and have not be disappointed! I have two girls in 5th grade who have attended since 2nd grade and my son now is in kindergarten. James Madison teachers, administration, and leadership are involved in every aspect of our children s growth while they attend. I have not been disappointed at any point during the last 4 years. James Madison strives to support our students on every level, academic, social and emotional (military deployments). If you have concerns they readily address them with discernment and care. Many times I have had conversations with the principal, administration, and teacher s addressing how valuable they school is to me and my children, how we are a team raising our children, and how we are better off having them be a part of our life. The response is always, "That is what we are here for, and this is what we do." We are such a close school family it hurts me to see someone have a differing opinion and hope that everyone who reads the ratings knowing they need to look into this school before making judgments. I know you will not be disappointed.

Posted October 01, 2011
We've had many years experience with this school and agree that it just keeps getting better and better! We completely agree with previous parental reviews that the school is great, love the teachers, and feel extremely welcome at JMCA. We recommend it all the time. Our main reason for this review is to touch on the 27 September comment on the second grade teacher. Our kids love this teacher and we have never had a bullying issue. We find the review to be extremely premature in that this parent has only had two months of experience to base their review on. We also find it extremely ironic that the parent complains about bullying but then blasts the teacher with harsh cruel words and even goes so far as to call the teacher a "jerk." Who's the bully now? Has this parent ever sat in on a class during these two months, or volunteered for this teacher? We have had years of experience at this school; we, and our kids, love this teacher and love this school!

Posted September 30, 2011
We love this school! This is our daughter's 3rd year attending and she has really made progress. I love the core knowledge they offer and feel it really helps to peak our daughter's interests. She is currently in the second grade and loves it! Her teacher is amazing with her and really makes it a point to get to know the children's interests. Every day she comes home and tell's me how much she loves school and especially the second grade. There are great opportunities for volunteering and being a part of your child's learning experience and being involved in your community. I have never had a problem with bullying at this school. The teacher's and staff do a great job with the kids and they have become like family to us. Thanks JMCA for all that you do!

James Madison Charter Academy School 1

Posted September 27, 2011
The bullying is out of control here,they do NOTHING about it. It was a huge mistake sending my child here. The teachers is a a bully to. I like the academics but everything else lacks severaly. My child is in 2nd grade there are the teacher is a nightmare. He is rude,disrespectful,dishonest,bully,and all around a mean man. His mistakes are backed up by the staff and they excuse his bullying behaviors. He doesn't communicate well at all. I can NOT wait until this year is over,so my child does not have to be exposed to this jerk any further.

James Madison Charter Academy School 4

Posted May 10, 2011
The school is small, but everything they do they do for the students. Parents are VERY involved with the teachers and the kids' education. I also love how all the teachers and staff know each and every child by their name. Parents are encouraged to volunteer and be very active in the school's PTO. The kids in turn are so comfortable with their surroundings that it is not unusual for the kids to run up to a teacher and give them a great big hug. The teaching styles are different from most of the schools around the area and I feel my kid benefits from this style and gains better knowledge of each subject. So glad my child is in this school and I highly recommend this school to anyone.

James Madison Charter Academy School
660 Syracuse St, Colorado Springs, CO  80911
Last modified James Madison Charter Academy School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Madison Charter Academy School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top