Bad
Good

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

NO they do not want to spend money where it should be spent. They give you the around and give you made up excuses. Like the state doesn't give us this or that just so they don't have to work or spend money.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers at JMCA are mean girls. They have very poor attitudes towards students and parents.

We have been at JMCA for 3 years and I'm embarrassed to even admit that. But this our last year thank the Lord. They have a LOT of rules & high expectations from students and parents but NONE for the staff. The students have to wear uniforms but the teachers can dress in what looks like pajamas or what looks nightclub attire. Very inappropriate clothing for a school that has a uniform. You pay $25-$35 for school supplies to only have all the teachers a month into school asking for different types of supplies that they should have. LOTS of fundraising and NOTHING to show for all the students/parents hard work and efforts. Kids get to have NO holiday parties but PTO does the 12 days of Christmas for the staff(for what???????). The Principal DOES NOT have compassion for the students when bullied by the teacher NEVER mind another student. The Principal Dr.S ALWAYS sides with the teacher. To submit it all up children in 3rd world countries get a better education than those here at JMCA.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The Principal doesn't have a back bone to stand up to her teachers. She let's them run the school the way THEY want (poor).

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

No!!! The teachers ARE bullies!!! The Principal is too!!!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The teachers do not let kids show emotions of any kind.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

They give homework as if the students are in college.

This school is amazing every teacher knows every student. Mrs. Reed and Miss Curl have been some of the best teachers for my children. I absolutely love Mr. Zack. He has a lot of patience with the kids and has fun with them. Miss Kay is amazing with all of her responsibilities. I've never seen a teacher without a smile or kind word to say. This is our first year here and we will stay till 7th grade.

Last year my son attended a public school in District 3, he cried every morning and night that he hated it and didn't want to go the next day. This year I decided to send him to JMCA and my child and I love it. He has grown so much in such a short time. Every night he tells me about the great day he had and all of the things he learned about, and every morning he has a smile. The teachers and staff at this school are wonderful. Each staff member knows the children by name and the communication is great. His teacher emails me on a regular basis to let me know how he is advancing. My son was out sick and his teacher emailed me the next day on a SATURDAY to see how he was feeling. They do require volunteer time from each parent, but I think that is great because it encourages each parent to be involved in their child's education. The class sizes are small which provides each child with more one on one time with their teacher. They have programs like PE, Music, Band, Library, and Art. Yes the building is small but the love and education in those walls is amazing. I don't desire my child to go to any other school, we are JMCA Mountain Lions and proud of it!

While JMCA has benefitted our kindergartener educationally, we're pushed to wits end in many other aspects of the school. Our son has an excellent teacher who keeps us informed about class functions/progress on a routine basis. The school has had to cut a few budgetary corners. The building is a modular structure in a low-lying flood zone, susceptible to damage in case of random Colorado Springs tornados or excessive precipitation. The children eat lunch and have recess/gym in the same multi-purpose room. The school has a HORRIBLE notification system. Their webpage is basic and out-of-date, and their Facebook page (to which the webpage directs parents) is also out of date. Recently, we (and much of the region) experienced a day or two of closures due to extreme weather. However, we received a notification at approx. 10pm (from the pre/post-school caregiver) that they'd be closed the following day due to 'temperatures below 0' because some children walk to school. That was unacceptable, since temperatures were predicted a week or so in advance. There is also a parenting responsibility in play there. Lastly, parents are forced to volunteer time or funds to the school annually.

Last modified James Madison Charter Academy School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.