James Irwin Charter Middle School

Charter | 6-8

Posted June 20, 2014

I agree with the last parent review. Teachers hand out weekend homework (even homework over the SUMMER!!) and the bathrooms near the Jags Cafe are awfully disgusting. I would say this school is okay and it's not the best or worst. It definately does have its pros though, like the Leadership program for 7th and 8th graders and the Character classes for the 6th graders. The dress code is pretty strict, but I do understand that it is to ensure that students are wearing James Irwin appropriate uniform or attire. Other than that, i give this school a 3-star rating.

Posted May 17, 2014

This school is awful. They talk a good talk to get kids enrolled there but if you look at the turnover rate for the school - it tells the truth. They talk about the James Irwin "character" when in fact this school has all of the bullying at the other schools and they can do nothing about it here either. Get ready for 2+ hours of homework every night, too - including weekends. Finally - when they take you on the tour that is so staged and misleading - make sure you stop into the NASTY bathrooms that are always overflowing. Oh - and if your kid needs to go to the restroom during class? Nope - they can't. There are NO activities to help the kids build friendships at ALL... It's like a prison. This school has a terribly negative environment.

Posted May 7, 2014

Our family has been very happy with JIMS. Our daughter was not being challenged in public school. Our primary reason to move her to Irwin was the rigorous curriculum. We also like the emphasis on character. We are very happy with her caring, committed teachers, who make themselves available to discuss any questions or issues we may have. The expectations for behavior, academics, uniforms, etc are clearly communicated. In my experience, everyone is held to the same standard and treated with respect. This school does have a strict code of behavior and high expectations for every student. It also gives them the tools to excel. Do your research to determine if this school is a good match for your family. Read the student manual, visit the school, and ask questions. I have found the administration to be very approachable, helpful, and working for continuous improvement.

Posted April 23, 2014

James Irwin is an excellent school that has high standards both academically and behaviorally. The teachers are caring and have made my son a better student in a short amount of time. I like that the school really focuses on teaching leadership and making the students responsible. If you are looking for a school that allows your child to be creative in their own way, this is not the place for you. They have a certain way of doing things, but it seems successful to me. Electives are limited for middle school, but I can't say enough about their academics.

Posted April 11, 2014

This school is awful! The teachers treat students horribly, all of the students misbehave, and the teachers don't know how to teach the classes well. Students are honestly treated like tools to obtain high test scores. It's like the teachers only care about the test scores and not each individual child! Whatever you do, don't let your child attend James Irwin Middle School!

Posted February 13, 2014

I am a James Irwin parent. I am thankful for the education my girls have received from James Irwin. I feel sad that it appears parents have had some trouble (as I am sure the school can not please all of us) yet we do not get to hear the other side of the story. People are sharing some negative comments but I do not see it said that they went to the school and gave them a chance to explain or solve some of the issues being shared. I have had two middle school students and know that sometimes what is said by our student may not be all of what happened. I hope, in the future, instead of using this as a venting tool, we can first remember to seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Posted February 13, 2014

My daughter was a student in the middle and high schools. She was always very happy with both schools, as were my husband and I. She went on to college and was more than prepared. All 3 schools have a student handbook available before fall classes begin. I believe if you and your student review it before committing you'll be ready to follow dress code and know what's expected academically and behaviorally. No surprises. If you don't want your student to learn to be a responsible adult and behave with integrity, find a traditional public school.

Posted February 12, 2014

My daughter is in sixth grade and this is her first year at James Irwin. She loves all of her teachers and has learned so much. They believe strongly in developing strong character in their students. She hasn't heard one cuss word or seen or experienced any bullying. She knows exactly what she needs to do on her homework which has taken away a lot of the frustration. I have read a lot of complaints regarding the uniform policy. It seems silly to send your child to a uniform school and then complain about it. This is an amazing school. It is an academically rigorous school that prepares their students for college.

Posted December 16, 2013

This school seriously needs to do a better job when tracking down each student's attendance. I was checking infinite campus one day while my child was at school and she was marked an excused absence for that whole day because of some sort of illness?! Last time I checked, she was at school the whole day and I complained to the school about this by sending one of the staffs an email and they did NOTHING. I am still informing the school to delete that absence off since that wasnt fair for my daughter to have been marked absent that day when she was present at school the whole day. Also, this school has a sugar policy where each student is required to eat/drink any food beverages below 15 grams of sugar. I sent some cupcakes to the office since it was my daughter's birthday and she was going to pass it out for her leadership class when a lady in the front office informed me that the cupcakes I brought in weren't allowed since they were full of sugar. unfortunately, my daughter couldn't even celebrate her birthday with cupcakes to her leadership class.

Posted November 22, 2013

We were so happy when our daughter was selected to attend JICMS. Coming from one of the worst school districts and one of the lowest test scoring schools we were so grateful that our child would now have the opportunity to thrive in a better educational environment. The staff so far has been just wonderful to my child, we have seen so many changes in her growth as a person since starting there this school year. Not that she wasn't a good child before but JICMS seems to have helped her flourish those attributes that we as her parents had already established. JICMS is fast paced, strong in their teachings and have the test scores to prove it. We love knowing that our child's educational future is looking so much brighter now.

Posted October 16, 2013

I am a Hispanic parent too and I see first hand how our students are treated in JICMS. I have a different point of view on this matter because I don't see how people can say they are treated better or worse than others. It does not matter what race you are , if you don't follow the rules the consequences are going to be the same for everyone. We are trying to teach kids character and responsibility so their future can be much better. Please , if you have any questions don't listen to others just visit the school and see first hand how it really is. Everyone is welcome!

Posted October 12, 2013

I am a Hispanic parent and I have to agree with the last post I just read. I have to say that the rules are not dispersed equally amongst the children at this school and it's bothered me for quite a while, however, I have no choice but to deal with it as it is the closest school with a decent curriculum and choices are really limited in this particular district. I'd also like to see a more diverse group of teachers at this school. My children do not like the school or the teachers that much but I bolster their self-esteem and I let them know how valuable and valued they are, but sometimes this gets complicated when the messages they receive about themselves are not as positive as their peers. I am hoping to move in the next year and find a school where differences and diversity is valued and where children are still very respectful and structured yet not treated like common criminals when they make mistakes. To those who love this school....more power to ya!!!

Posted May 17, 2013

For those reviews who mention James Irwin turning children into robots and such, that is completely untrue. What the school tries to do is develop children into people who can turn in their schoolwork, obey the rules, control themselves, and treat others with respect. It is the children who cannot do those things that don't make it at James Irwin.

Posted May 16, 2013

James Irwin teaches the kids to be great people!! They maybe expected to do their work and to be good role models. But it is better then what other schools in the district and some other ones around here teach. Defiantly worth enrolling your child here. Minimal fights and great educated children! ;)

Posted April 4, 2013

If this school is not able to turn your child into the James Irwin "ROBOT" by mid year they will politely ask you to withdraw them. I felt horrible when this happened as my child shoulders some of the blame, however, it was the best thing that could have happened. It made me research other schools (district 20) and realize that there are amazing curriculums out there where my children will still be heavily prepared for college but at schools where teachers/administration have more compassion for ADD or other problems that kids have difficulty with. My child is thriving in an environment (for now district 49 soon district 20) where he can change classes and get rid of excess energy and his teachers have been firm but absolutely amazing to him. So much so that I've decided to remove my remaining children from this school and put them in outstanding schools with LOTS of structure but where they can be more at ease and in a "regular" environment where kids are not persecuted for the slightest infractions. Thank you James Irwin for forcing me to see that you are not the BEST school in the Springs after all WE ARE A MUCH HAPPIER FAMILY since we were asked to withdraw our child

Posted February 3, 2012

I love this school! The principals are wonderful. The kids are still kids but more respectful than not! My daughter is in the high school and she LOVES it! My mistake is not having my other children over there yet! The teachers are very firm but "kind". The children are valued so they are not made to wait outside in rain or snow. I can't say enough about this truly GREAT school!

Posted March 18, 2011

My good friend moved schools because of the bulling done to her brother. Her mum and dad came to the schools and talked with the office about it and they ignored it. This is supposed to be a school of character but it's not. My mum and dad are both in the military so I move A LOT... When I first came to the school, people were so rude to me. I was clearly unwelcome. I do not like that school. Even one of the teachers said that were are the rudest children that he has ever had.

Posted September 4, 2009

This is an absolutely wonderful school! The student to teacher ratio combined with the curriculum and after school activities earns my personal rating of five stars across the board!

Posted February 11, 2009

Absolutely wonderful school. The teachers are awesome. The students are respectful of each other. My daugther did not want to go to a charter school at first, but she loves it now. This is her first year at a charter school. Her and I are very pleased with James Irwin.

Posted July 29, 2008

My 6th grade girl attended James Irwin. I was very impressed with how attentive the staff was about helping to place her at the appropriate level (she struggles with Math) where she could build a solid foundation and go up from there. I had not experienced such concern and professionalism in a school in a very long time! I highly recommend this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

All Students86%

Students without disabilities68%
Proficient in English73%
Neither migrant nor immigrant68%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A41%
Male 45%N/A51%
Female 55%N/A49%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5525 Astrozon Blvd