Bad
Good

DCC fails the top 15% of the students. Particularly in the math department. More concerned with keeping the students GPA's up rather then preparing them for success in college. For example: student takes all Honors classes as a freshman including Algebra 2 honors receives all A's and a 4.56 GPA. Gets excepted at a prestigious prep school and takes Precalc only to get a D+, as the teacher informs him that he is lacking a solid foundation of the algebra concepts. Same student takes PSAT scores quite well, all 90% or above except for a 70% on the Hearts of Algebra questions. Student went on to receive an A in the spring semester and an A in Calc fall of Junior year but he had to spend a lot of time playing catchup. Student 2 transfers after 2 years of Honors middle school classes and spends the first month of school playing catch up in his Algebra 2 class because DCC is unwilling to push these kids beyond the basics. So if you have a very intelligent student and they want to be prepared for college at a top 20% college or university you will want to find a different option.

This school has many positives, but one area that we can't seem to work around is the lack of lesson plans. As a parent (and teacher myself) I have asked all of my children's teachers for their lesson plans for the week/month, whatever they have available. However each of the teachers (minus music) has denied my request. This causes parents and students alike to be reactive instead of proactive. It does cause some concern from a teaching perspective as well. If I had no lesson plan I would not rest in the assurance my students were reaching their goals and their potential. It can become very easy to venture off task when we are on a subject that everyone loves. A lesson plan helps us reign in our goals and stay on task. It also allows parents to see exactly what we are accomplishing in the classroom, initiating home conversation and often further learning. I feel this lack of planning limits a students potential. I find it odd that the leadership does not require or review since there is a position in this IB school that is designated specifically for that purpose. Overall it is an okay school but nothing to write home about.

The teachers at this school have been so great. They are engaged and excited about teaching. The special education has been wonderful as well. My kids have had good experiences for the last three years at DCC. They are excited about going to school each day. My heart goes out to the kids who have had bad experiences. I would say that there are more kids that have good experiences though. I have three kids in Elementary and one in Middle.

The teachers are amazing, they always help you to stay on top of your academics . But the truth about whats going on inside those brick walls is they cant control bullying or suicides. I was bullied and they couldnt fix it . One of my friends comminted suicides because it was to much. Its a great school but somebody needs to take control.

I don't know why the bad reviews. The school is on top of bulling and suicide prevention. My children enjoyed going to school and did very well. If you have a child that needs Special Ed they are great they listen and help a lot. My oldest graduated from DCC and they prepared him for college and my two younger kids did very well and will miss DCC for we moved out of state.

This school has had 9 suicides in the last 4 years. two Suicides happened just this week. This school needs an intervention! bullying is out of hand

My 2 children have gone here for 2years....wonderful school! We absolutely love the teachers!! Love that the schools is all grade levels....way easier with multiple children in different levels of school. Not sure about the new principal but other than that....love love this school!

Worst school EVER! Went there for 2 years just god awful.... I would not recommend this school to anyone. To much bullying, teachers that don't even teach. If I could rate this school 0 stars I would, just awful.... so glad I'm going to Air Academy now

The principal chews gum while making presentations, dresses too casual, he is more into football scores than academics and allows his teachers to be disrespectful to students and parents. It could be a good school, but the high school principal is not professional. I would guess he is skating until retirement. The band director's ego is too big for his skill set. He can't retain students due to his poor attitude and his program is lacking advancement for good musicians. If you are his teacher's pet then you get accolades, if not, you are overlooked and will not learn even if you are the better musician in the class. There are a few good teachers, but most are unresponsive and allowed to be unresponsive by the principal. My child is an all "A" student in honors and AP classes so doing fine in spite of the principal and teachers. Too bad the admin and teachers lack professionalism and pride in their work.

This is a great school. It is such a pleasure to have your kids come home from school with a smile and be excited about what they are learning and the friends they have made.

Last modified Discovery Canyon Campus School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.